Tranny Fluid Temperature - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Question Tranny Fluid Temperature

Ok, I've had the Cobra radiator in my 'Bird for almost two years with an external transmission fluid cooler cooling the transmission fluid. I noticed right away that the fluid seemed a little dark almost immediately and I wondered if it was getting too hot. Since it happened so quickly, I figured it was just from the black sludge that seemed to be all over inside the transmission (I noticed the black film when I did the j-mod), since the fluid did NOT smell burnt and it still doesn't to this day.

Well, I just got the engine running good again and was monitoring with a scanner the transmission temperture reported to the ECM. No codes have been generated and my O/D light has never flashed, but I often wondered if the medium-duty transmission cooler I installed was enough cooling. The scanner reports the transmission fluid temperture that is being reported to the ECM. My questions are where is it getting this fluid temperature from? It stayed around 214* which I believe is a little on the high side. Shouldn't I be keeping the fluid around 185*?

I have another transmission cooler that I'll probably try putting in line with the one I have already installed. If that doesn't drop the temp much, I was thinking of one of those little coolers with the small temp-controlled fan attached.

What do you all think and what would you do? BTW, I did use SEARCH checking threads about transmission temperature.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
214 degrees is way too hot IMO, especially if you have a cooler. On a 90 degree day I see 185-190, and usually as the temp drops the tranny temps follow about 100 degrees above whatever the ambient air temp is. I have the B&M 70264 mounted in front of the condenser slightly off center. The PCM gets the temperature reading from the transmission oil temperature sensor mounted on the underside of the valve body.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
214 degrees is WAY too hot IMO, especially if you have a cooler. On a 90 degree day I see 185-190, and usually as the temp drops the tranny temps follow about 100 degrees above whatever the ambient air temp is. I have the B&M 70264 mounted in front of the condenser slightly off center. The PCM gets the temperature reading from the transmission oil temperature sensor mounted on the underside of the valve body.
I figured it was a little hot and the temperature today only got up to low 80's. Now you say "especially if I have a cooler", but remember, that's the ONLY cooling with the Cobra radiator (there is no radiator built tranny cooler). So I should feel lucky since it's been running like that for almost two years, huh?

Oh, and I installed the cooler directly in front of the radiator so it's sandwiched between the radiator and a/c condenser.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I almost want to suggest you try to mount the cooler ahead of the condenser where it might get some better airflow. It'll probably decrease the efficiency of the a/c a tad but I didn't notice any detectable difference with mine... and it works plenty well enough for the 90+ degree days we get up here on occasion. Is yours tube and fin or is it stacked plate?

I did pipe mine inline/post the heat exchanger in the radiator, but I don't think it's helping much or even at all. If the coolant temperature is 190 degrees and my tranny fluid is 180, it's actually heating up the fluid as it goes to the aftermarket cooler.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
I almost want to suggest you try to mount the cooler ahead of the condenser where it might get some better airflow. It'll probably decrease the efficiency of the a/c a tad but I didn't notice any detectable difference with mine... and it works plenty well enough for the 90+ degree days we get up here on occasion. Is yours tube and fin or is it stacked plate?

I did pipe mine inline/post the heat exchanger in the radiator, but I don't think it's helping much or even at all. If the coolant temperature is 190 degrees and my tranny fluid is 180, it's actually heating up the fluid as it goes to the aftermarket cooler.
I've had that exact same thought about the engine coolant heating up the fluid which is a good thing at cold start-up I guess. Well, if I don't get any satisfaction with adding a second cooler (and I'll put it in front of the condenser - who wants to pull out the radiator if they don't have to anyways), I'll look at Rob's 45K monster cooler!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:19 AM
6th Gear Poster

I really would not advise using two coolers in series. You'll double the restriction and increase the chance for leaks. Use one good cooler. I have a Fluidyne - which is really an oil radiator. I think it's 8X11. The highest my trans temp has ever gotten was maybe 175 on 95+ days. I still use the OEM radiator cooler.

Mitch
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
One hayden 679 should do the job nicely as long as you are under 3500 stall. Above that I suggest the long tru-cool unit. 3/8 lines are a huge benefit.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchB View Post
I really would not advise using two coolers in series. You'll double the restriction and increase the chance for leaks. Use one good cooler. I have a Fluidyne - which is really an oil radiator. I think it's 8X11. The highest my trans temp has ever gotten was maybe 175 on 95+ days. I still use the OEM radiator cooler. Mitch
SO........... has it occurred to you that the above sounds like YOU are using 2 coolers in series AND you are risking your Tranny via Coolant from an ancient Radiator ?

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
SO........... has it occurred to you that the above sounds like YOU are using 2 coolers in series AND you are risking your Tranny via Coolant from an ancient Radiator ?
Yes I use two coolers - if that's how you want to look at it. Have on many vehicles for many years. No coolant failures. Maybe, 500,000 miles of driving total. But, thanks for the tip.

Mitch
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I figured it was a little hot and the temperature today only got up to low 80's. Now you say "especially if I have a cooler", but remember, that's the ONLY cooling with the Cobra radiator (there is no radiator built tranny cooler). So I should feel lucky since it's been running like that for almost two years, huh?

Oh, and I installed the cooler directly in front of the radiator so it's sandwiched between the radiator and a/c condenser.
I have the tru-cool 45k in front of the AC condenser with the Cobra radiator. It takes forever to warm up in the winter, but in the heat of the summer the trans temp runs about 175. I went on an extended road trip to Florida last month and it runs about 185 running down the road at 80mph and mid 90s outside. It takes a couple of hours to get up to 185, but levels off there. I also have an aluminum trans pan.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in