Transmission cooling line blowout - Advice? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Transmission cooling line blowout - Advice?

My daughter has the ability to test this car like no one else. While driving 25 miles home from college she said the car started "acting funny" - RPM's going wacky when she tried to pass or accelerate quickly, weird shifting. I was 3000 miles away out of town but it sounded like fluid issues, and sure enough, nothing showing on the stick when she checked. Puddle under the car of red fluid later confirmed a leak; seems to be coming from inside the radiator, and the lines leading to it are looking bad as well. So does this call for a new radiator with cooler, or can I just use an aux cooler instead? And should I replace the lines back to the tranny while at it, or am I asking for trouble by messing with them if they are still holding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Got to love being in the south, we don't have rust.

You could go with a stand alone cooler, just get a big one.

The radiator will probably go out soon anyway.

I think I would go with a new radiator and look for some good lines - new or used (best from southern states)

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 AM
6th Gear Poster

It's really not that bad - Lines from Tranny run down Passenger side - With Tubing cutters remove section of Tubing Passenger side front - Flush lines & fit hose Barb adapters to Lines for hoses to new Cooler under Bumper Passenger Side - Just orphan out the remaining Lines that cross under Rad & terminate Driver side Rad - It's prudent to NOT mess with trying to remove Lines from Tranny, between the bi-metalic corrosion, the PLASTIC Rad end & the Aluminum Rad Core you are just asking for BIG trouble ~!

You do NOT want to end up like this dude:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=131849

Up North you'll need some kinda Fluid Temp Sensing Valve - I went with a brand new - Ford P/N F4TH - 7A095 that I got for $25 which is the optional Trans Cooler on the old Windstars but the Ford P/N has a nice bracket well suited to under Bumper installs on Mk's & Tbirds although it was probably in front of Rad stock - It's just a $60 B&M 70273 with a bracket - Compression fittings on existing lines cut at Passenger side & Hose Barb adapters to a short run of $3 a foot dude Hi Press line - & Yes this is one of the things you can shop to death on EBAY once you know what size & thickness your desired location will handle - For more "intense applications" there were some DUDE used stainless & copper jobs on there & even some new Fan cooled jobs around $100.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 10-06-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I prefer to avoid the temperature valves whenever possible. I suggest mounting a hayden 679 in front of the ac condenser and runnign as much steel line as possible. If you ever experience a too cold issue that lockup will not work put a piece of cardboard over it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
I prefer to avoid the temperature valves whenever possible. I suggest mounting a hayden 679 in front of the ac condenser and runnign as much steel line as possible. If you ever experience a too cold issue that lockup will not work put a piece of cardboard over it.
Alan
I've heard that rubber line (especially the wrong kind) can cause pressure fluctuations, is this something that can be cured by using stainless steel braid and AN fittings or should I just pony up the cash to a custom shop to make new stainless hard line all the way to an aftermarket cooler?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Converter Guy

Stainless is virtually impossible. I am using the ezibend alloy, in your environment coated steel should work just fine.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Converter Guy

No offense but that is poor advice that could very well cost you a transmission.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well, looking at it the lines seem fine - it looks like the leak is out of the bottom of the radiator, so I've ordered a new one.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:09 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
No offense but that is poor advice that could very well cost you a transmission.
Alan
Gotta agree. It will also leave you stranded when you pump all the fluid out onto the road. It did me. I fixed it with a mounted compression fitting and barb.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 08:59 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumbody View Post
Well, looking at it the lines seem fine - it looks like the leak is out of the bottom of the radiator, so I've ordered a new one.
That's a LOT more work & expense than the Aux Cooler.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

so in trying to bend new lines (they were corroded after all) i semi-kinked one of them. How much of a kink is too much? I'm thinking that I've still got enough flow capacity but definitely more restricted than full round line. Advice?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:20 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question

Well you haven;t taken any of our advice so far so why start now ? - But here goes... If it's "semi kinked" than you could make a case that the inner area is the same as it ever was, just kinda oval now - If it's kinked then you could splice in a compression connector & cut out the kink - Im having a hard time believing you are gonna make all the bends necessary fm Passenger side all the way fwd then the 90's for across front then the all the 90's it takes to mate to Rad without a Tubing Bender or a BUNCH of kinks - Has it occurred to yet that you could have kept the old Rad & just did the almost straight shot up passenger side to under Bumper with a maybe $50 Aux Cooler ____?

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Because the tranny fluid turned out to be leaking both from the middle of the radiator (straight stream toward the engine) and from corroded lines, I decided to replace the rad, what with lots more road salt coming soon and the chance that the rad might be ready to go - much more pleasant and easy to change outdoors at 55 degrees than 15 and snowing. So the extra $50 for a replacement radiator seemed worth it to avoid potential trouble with the coolant side of things if everything was getting worn down there.

So choosing not to put in the cooler as an alternative is not snubbing all your great advice, which I appreciate, but weighing what my options are and choosing the one I'm able to tackle financially and with my particular skill set, while also thinking about what my daughter could deal with if the solution went south some late night when I'm not around to assist. Since the coolant was old and in need of changing as well, the time seemed right to do it all in one shot and hope for the best. I guess we'll see....
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:12 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Got it - New Rad makes sense then with the NY Road Salts vs old Aluminum Rad - My guess is that you end with plumbing up combination of new hard tubing & here & there some proper hoses using the proper compression to barb fittings - There is a dude overkill hose for about $3 a foot - This will be a PITA.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

So Buck - compression fittings with a union would work as well as barbs with hoses? I can see I'll need to spread the lines apart along side the motor where I'm tying in - I had considered flaring with a union, or a more modest flare with hose and clamps, but if compression fittings will hold and I can stagger the unions on each line so they'll fit better I might just go with that, although I do have good hose and 8 clamps ready to roll.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:23 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumbody View Post
So Buck - compression fittings with a union would work as well as barbs with hoses? I can see I'll need to spread the lines apart along side the motor where I'm tying in - I had considered flaring with a union, or a more modest flare with hose and clamps, but if compression fittings will hold and I can stagger the unions on each line so they'll fit better I might just go with that, although I do have good hose and 8 clamps ready to roll.
If your New Tubing is anything like the old Tubing they are HELL to Flare - IIRC fm my Tranny Cooler Line Mod this is METRIC sized Tubing so I carry a hunk of it to a REAL Plumbing Part Type guy & make sure you get the RIGHT size Fittings - There's nothing wrong with a proper Compression Fitting & it's WAY better than a bad Flare job - There's nothing wrong with the proper type hose either - Unless I could splice in 2 pieces of Tubing that already had a factory Flare already on it for the Adapters at Radiator I would probably just swap out stock Adapter at Rad for Compression Adapters.

Last edited by BUCK; 10-19-2010 at 10:29 AM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I've done one inline splice of the metal line with a piece of 400-psi tranny oil hose and two fuel-injection band-style clamps on each side, and the second with about 6-8" of hose making the 90=degree bend with the same clamp arrangement. if it doesn't leak, I'm golden - if it does, then I guess I'll try compression fittings.

One guy at the store said compression fitting with a union was the way to go, because there's "no real pressure" in the line, and his partner was like "no way would I use that - too much pressure in the line". So good advice is hard to come by except on these boards!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Converter Guy

Use a flaring tool to put a bubble at the end, even swaging it with a punch will work, you have to have something that will stop the line from blowing off.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Maybe my flaring tool is too worn, but every time I tried to flare the new tubing it would just slide back through the hole. So the lines are just cut off with hose and clamps. No good?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Converter Guy

good to get you home and that is about it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

How much pressure is in one of those lines?
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Converter Guy

Enough to blow off 2 clamps without a flare.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

So if I measure correctly, the stock line is 8mm OD, and the replacement 5/16. I went to four places yesterday for compression fittings, and nobody had metric, and most no 5/16 hose bib fittings. Where can I source this stuff? Will a 5/16-5/16 union work if I can find an 8mm sleeve somewhere? Is there such a thing as a metric flaring tool, and if not, how can I use my existing SAE tool to get a little bubble on the line? Any other new technologies out there, maybe similar to those "Shark Bite" sweat-less plumbing fittings? And BTW, I am SO ready to move South for the longer Driveway Repair season - we are moments away from winter here. The ice and wind helps take down the rest of the leaves in October.

Last edited by shumbody; 10-21-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in