Happy with J-mod - TCCoA Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thumbs up Happy with J-mod

Well, last night I finished up installing the kit or package from RobertP in my 62K miles '95 LX 4.6 Bird, had the seperator plate with holes drilled for mild settings (and all nicely deburred I will say) , two gaskets, new style 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons, two springs (brown and violet) and a filter.

Just so you know, I've put shift kits in many cars and trucks over the years, some called for complete VB disassembly, new springs here or there, maybe a new governor spring set, etc. Never had an issue with one yet, even did a couple police cars. This was my first in a 4R70W and the kit idea sounded appealing, and by getting it I figured I could check his holes and there'ld be two sets of eyes checking the drilling where as if I done mine, no one to review my work? Price was good, especially when I didn't have to gather stuff or drill the plate. It was the right decision I see.

Car up on ramps, then jacked up at frame a little and stands in place, in park, brake applied. I used the hose in a bucket from top rad coller fitting to pump most fluid out of the pan.

My original 1-2 accumulator had only a bottom spring and it was in 4 pieces. It started shifting harder a few momths ago and I suspected the broken accumulator spring which is when I ordered the package from Robert to get the new pistons and predrilled plate to.

Bore was chewed up a little all around in a straight line where the spring pieces were pushed against it when the accumulator was pushed down under pressure.

I installed new parts choosing to use both the new brown spring on top and violet spring under the accumulator. I also cleaned the bore and worked the scarring some with very fine sand paper. I believe the scarring is below where the piston works so no harm.

2-3 accumulator with spring was removed, just put new style piston back and the retainer.

Swap plates, and removed 8 balls and weight thingy and sprayed VB and let dry, put 8 balls back where they were supposed to be ( I marked the old gasket with silver marker.) ... and weight thingy near trans filter hole. Put everything back together using the article.

Torqued the 25 - 8mm bolts and that one 10mm bolt to 90 in/lbs (that's 7.5 ft/lbs).

New filter install, etc ... Used 9 quarts.

Hardest part was getting my snap ring pliar tips to fitt and hold onto the inside snap ring in the 1-2 accumulator when removing it. My light weight pliars not stout enough, so dug and found my old KD snap ring pliar set and tips. Took two tips with broken tits (never discard tools, even parts may someday be made to work) and rounded the 6 sided tips to go in the snap ring holes.

Worked on tips again so they'ld go deeper in them holes while I had snap ring loose and could "fit" the tips. Piece of cake when putting back, used bottle jack and piece of short pipe as spacer to press spring - piston - spring - retainer back.

Test drove today, WOW .... glad I put both springs in the 1-2 accumulator! Would not want it any harsher under WOT! Light load driving, very smooth but noticeable shifts. Heavy throttle and the shifts get harder fast.

I like it.

I also noticed that a rattle or buzz almost at idle in neutral is now gone. I am pretty sure it was those broken spring pieces being stirred around when no pressure on the piston above them? Quiet in all positions now.

I am really pleased!

Just thought I'ld post an easy to find followup.

Third Ford Burden likes this.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 10-15-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I like it with the 1-2 springs in and the 2-3 spring out as well. I'm not in it for neck-snapping shifts, more for improved reliability. It's quick and painless during normal driving then when you get on it it responds pretty hard.

Which reminds me, I think the bottom 1-2 spring in the 94 is probably busted...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 PM
PostWhore

I really need to get my lazy ass doing this to mine as well. I would also change out the pressure valve while I was in there. Worth the money in the long run for a more reliable trans that shifts better.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to The_coop_08
I agree, love the way it shifts without the springs, other people that ride in my car have different opinions though lol

Silver 96 T-bird
Major Mods: Stage II PI head swap w/Stage II cams, Kooks headers, 2.5" exhaust with borla xr1, 9.5" Converter 3800 stall, Aluminum rear 3:73 gears, lots of suspension and bolt ons. 13" Cobra brakes, ss lines, lowered 1.6" on staggered saleens
Tim Barth tuned at MPH 274rwhp/298rwtq on 93
Compiling parts for Vortech build
95 SC 5 speed: bone stock for now
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, mine is harsh as possible - LOVE IT!!!

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Do not bother with the overdrive servo it's hard to change in the car and if u don't catch the band going back together u lose over drive

Robert
CrystalPistol likes this.

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Pretty sure the Gurus will confirm that "pinkish purple" equals VOILET, a very hip shade this year.

& Yes... anyone driving with 97 or older 4r70w Main VB & no Jmod aint even GOT a Tranny that shifts - All it's doing is Flaring ~!

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thumbs up

Robert ... Thanks Loads .... I removed all reference to it from my post so I don't lead someone else to try it. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
Pretty sure the Gurus will confirm that "pinkish purple" equals VOILET, a very hip shade this year.

& Yes... anyone driving with 97 or older 4r70w Main VB & no Jmod aint even GOT a Tranny that shifts - All it's doing is Flaring ~!
I think you are right. I think I was looking at the charts and seeing "purple", "violet", and "pink" all listed as colors, was trying to "best describe" it. Violet will do nicely. I also see a pair of inner Dk Blue and outer Yellow listed for 01-05.

While I'm here, anyone know if these new springs I just used last better than the original?

Well, 6 am comes early I hear tell and I have to be at the range before 9 so ....
.... Good Night!

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the great, detailed write up of your install, CrystalPistol.

I will have to find more info on the JMod. I gather from the info- that the JMod makes the AOD transmission shift quicker/firmer. I know when my 3.8L shifts it is very soft and RPMs drop a lot between shifts (at least 1200 rpm). I guess that's for comfort, but I want the trans to be sportier. Is that correct?

I have done some work on my 92 TBird SC. Saw the valve body when I changed the trans filter- did not disassemble it. Later I dropped the gas tank, exhaust, drive shaft to remove the transmission and torque converter. Done on jack stands / ramps, in my driveway... by myself. Would not suggest doing it that way- do it on a lift!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargedbird View Post
Thanks for the great, detailed write up of your install, CrystalPistol.

I will have to find more info on the JMod. I gather from the info- that the JMod makes the AOD transmission shift quicker/firmer. I know when my 3.8L shifts it is very soft and RPMs drop a lot between shifts (at least 1200 rpm). I guess that's for comfort, but I want the trans to be sportier. Is that correct?

I have done some work on my 92 TBird SC. Saw the valve body when I changed the trans filter- did not disassemble it. Later I dropped the gas tank, exhaust, drive shaft to remove the transmission and torque converter. Done on jack stands / ramps, in my driveway... by myself. Would not suggest doing it that way- do it on a lift!
Yes and NO .... "Yes" definately so in my case ... and ... "NO" in your case as you cannot do the J-Mod on an AOD.

Mine in the '95 which I just did the J-Mod on is a 4R70W.

My '92 Sport with 302 has an AOD and likely I'll put a TransGo kit in it when fluid change tiome rolls around. It's got a nearly new transmission with under 10K on it.

From what I read, TransGo is not good in 4R70W but OK in an AOD. My '77 F-150 with C-6 has had a TransGo for over 20 years and it's fine.

Might check with RobertP or DirtyDog or Darrin or Silverfox ... and maybe some others here for recomendations????

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 10-15-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spell "Buck" as "Darrin" .... :)
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 PM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Yes and NO .... Might check with RobertP or DirtyDog or Buck or Silverfox ... and maybe some others here for recomendations????
NO NO NO - Buck AINT no Guru ~! - Buck a mere GRASSHOPPA lucky enuff to be schooled in a few minor areas by the all the TRUE Ninja's who are great enuff to hang around this great Board - & Add Dariin to the above - I'll help in the few finite areas I have personal experience in & hopefully save the Ninjas a redundant answer or 2 in those regards but beyond that I don;t go there.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Talking

Got it!

I knew I had picked up some tips from you ..... specific to these transmissions.

Forgot Darrin.

Did some looking, believe it'll maybe be a "TransGo #AOD-HP Reprogramming Kit" that I use on my '92's AOD.

post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Damn, Buck called himself a GRASSHOPPA! Honesty and modesty- two good qualities. Believe me I am blessed to be learning from the true custom tuners on this board too.

The JMod, oh well for my 3.8L (AOD). Not as easily modded as the 4.6L. If my car wasn't so well cared for for all these years.... anyway... I'm the 2nd owner and I take good car of her too. Maybe I'll just have to keep up with detailing her and modernize her by adding style, features and comfort. Leave the racing mods to those with SCs and V8s. Thanks guys.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Chargedbird .... What year is your 3.8 Super Coupe? You wrote '92 earlier, but your profile shows 1996.

The 1994 and up Super Coupes had the 4R70W trans and can be J-modded .

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 12:03 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Well my SuperCoupe was my first TBird. It was a 1992. And it was totaled in 2003. That was the nicest car I've ever owned and when I can afford it I will be in the market to buy another once.

Yup, people are always asking me about my 96 TBird, current car, even stock the car draws peoples interests. I always tell them this is my second TBird. I have a thing for TBirds and have been looking to own another for several years since my first one was totaled.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Chargedbird .... What year is your 3.8 Super Coupe? You wrote '92 earlier, but your profile shows 1996. The 1994 and up Super Coupes had the 4R70W trans and can be J-modded .
It's late on a Friday nite (Saturday) so no way I can get thru a Search but IIIRC D/Dog has VERY 3.8 specific reccomendations for these & the -300HP Mild JMOD stuff in the Mother of all Articles by Jerry does NOT apply fully to a 3.8 - I'm recalling thru the haze that maybe it's almost like a little 1-2 FLARE in these is a good thing ?

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:03 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the help. I'll be around and learn more in visiting the board. Modifying how a stock transmission shifts is a nice upgrade, and the relative ease of just a valve body mod makes this an interesting mod to me.

Hey I see Buck and CrystalPistol are both SSE region- if there are any TBird Club Meets in the area maybe I'll make the 10 hour trip and see your cars!
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
It's late on a Friday nite (Saturday) so no way I can get thru a Search but IIIRC D/Dog has VERY 3.8 specific reccomendations for these & the -300HP Mild JMOD stuff in the Mother of all Articles by Jerry does NOT apply fully to a 3.8 - I'm recalling thru the haze that maybe it's almost like a little 1-2 FLARE in these is a good thing ?
Very well may be the case, I do recall there's a difference but I never looked that close at the 3.8 apps ..... but I am pretty sure the AOD was history after '93.

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

5 years and 30,xxx miles update on J-mod

Just an update ....

Looks like 5 years have passed, I've put just a tad over 30,000 miles on the '95 since doing the J-Mod back then ..... and it still shifts faultlessly, I really like it.

Hard to believe it was 5 years ago? Wonder where does the time go????

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 AM
6th Gear Poster

Time does fly... I'm JMODDING my "new" 95 MKVIII after the Holidays when I hit around 60K Miles.

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:40 AM

You wont regret it. I have about 10K miles on my 95 Tbird since I did the Jmod and really like it. Nice firm shifts and so much better than stock.
Good luck with yours.

95 4.6 LX Jmod, sans Silencer
98 Mustang GT , Magnapak exhaust, Cobra Wheels
05 V-10 King Ranch Super Duty
13 Explorer
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Almost time to drain and refill the merc V in my '94 and was thinking about doing the jmod and maybe a new torque converter. How much does Robert P charge for a valve body jmodded with the updated pistons? Also the upgraded torque converter is out of a mark viii right?
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 AM
PostWhore

I had the J-mod done in both my 95 T-Bird and 96 Cougar. It worked great in both cars, except it made the 96 WOT shift at 4000 RPM. Anyone else have that happen?

My 95 still shifted at 5200 afterwards. I want to get it done on my new 97, but I don't want to have to get a tune just to restore my 5200 shift point.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
There shouldn't be anything in the tranny that would change that, unless you are way off on the VSS gear.

Gear shifts are based on rpm, mph, and TPS in our cars, unless you have an aod with a TV cable...

I recently had my car aligned, and the guy who drove it said, "the shift pattern is strange".

Yeah, I did that myself, lol.

They drive like a manual, with my tune.

EDIT: The difference in rpm could be wear, and the 96 had upgrades.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 AM
PostWhore

RobertP did the J-mod on both cars, so everything was set up properly. He didn't sound surprised when I told him about the 4k WOT shift point, he said it happens to the 96-97's sometimes. He said he could fix it with a tune.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The j-mod will always make the trans shift at a lower rpm, but I'm surprised it moved it up that much. When the trans shifts, it takes some time for the accumulators to fill with fluid and the shift to be completed. The computer knows how much time this takes, and how long it takes for a stock car to accelerate, so it commands the shift slightly before it wants it to be completed. For example, if it wants it to shift at 5200rpm, it may command the shift at say 4600rpm so by the time the shift is completed, you are at the 5200 where it wanted. If you cut the amount of time it takes to complete the shift in half, then now that same shift would happen around 4900rpm. The reverse effect happens when you improve the acceleration of the car, say with steeper rear end gears. The rpms now climb faster than the computer is expecting, so if you command the start of a shift at the same 4600rpm that used to complete at 5200, it may now not complete until 5400. This is why on some cars putting steeper rear end gears can cause the engine to hit the rev limiter on WOT 1-2 shifts.
CrystalPistol likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 02:20 PM

Who is RobertP, and where can I contacted him or order this kit, I have always hated how my car shifts and I think this might be my answer.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Cougar Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflz View Post
Who is RobertP, and where can I contacted him or order this kit, I have always hated how my car shifts and I think this might be my answer.
http://forums.tccoa.com/members/1213-robertp.html

Rob's Tire & Auto - Carthage, NC

I don't know what he offers for this "shift kit" but it's a DIY thing from one of the transmission engineers.

TCCoA Tech Articles

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I know this is an old thread but I have a question and this may be where I can get an answer. I have done a J-mod on a 97 Tbird and was very pleased 28th it. Now I have a 2000 explorer with a 4R7OW transmission. It's used for daily driving, towing a camper, and the occasional trip off road. I think a J-mod would benefit it. Are there any differences between the 97 trans and the 2000 I should know about?
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Only advice I have about that is go for the mild setting. I did a full j-mod on my buddy's wife's explorer, and with the AWD there was no give when it shifted so hard, and after about 15K miles, it cracked the planetary housing.
CrystalPistol and Draetech09 like this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in