Is this anything to worry about? Found in pan... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Is this anything to worry about? Found in pan...

So today I decided to change the fluid in my tranny. I rebuilt this tranny with the help of the fine folks on this forum (its an AODE/94 mustang gt) over a year and 35K+ miles ago. With 35K+ miles I figured its time for a fluid change.

Tranny has never given me ANY trouble since finishing up the rebuild. It works perfectly. Has a mild J-mod and upgraded internals (still keeping the same AODE ratio).

Fluid looks damn near new, there is very little material on the magnet, but I found a blue o-ring on the pan. It was broke into a "C" shape.

The only blue O-rings I recall seeing when I rebuilt this tranny was around the new pressure regulator. I haven't pulled it yet, but I suspect that is where it came from.

Any idea how it happened and is it anything to worry about (so long as I replace it)?

Thanks!

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Is it a teflon ring or rubber?
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Hey Dirty Dog! Its been a long time!

Anyway, I'm not sure if its rubber or teflon. But I am almost certain it is the sealing ring that goes around the pressure regulator. Its the perfect size, and is the only blue one I can remember.

I'm about to pull the regulator now...

If your worried about it being the direct drum teflon sealing rings...its definately not that.

-Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

It was the pressure regulator sealing rings. Now that I got it out, both were blown out.

Odd, it didn't change the shift quality, and I detected no slippage what-so-ever, but I wonder how they got blown apart like that?

-Edit-

Well, now I am in a pickle. The only O-rings I have /can get are the generic "assortment". I have the right diameters, but they are too thick. I tried, but no matter how hard I push I cannot get the regulator back in with the thick o-rings.

Now I know I can get the exact size from the local hardware store (made for faucet repair), but are they the same thing or are they made of some other material? Silly, but I do not know if an o ring is an o ring or if they are made of different materials to withstand the additonal heat/submersion in a petrolium product?

2nd thing-I cannot find the missing parts of those o rings. Do I drop the VB or is it okay to leave it be? I do not have another VB gasket.

All this was supposed to be was just a fluid change LOL.

-Alan

Last edited by FirebirdTN; 11-06-2010 at 03:50 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Converter Guy

I cannot figure what you are talking about. The epc solenoid? The pr valve doesn't have seals on it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Yes, epc...

(I thought it stood for Electronic Pressure Control)

Anyway...not sure what I am going to do....can I use the ones from a hardware store, or will the tranny fluid just eat them up?

-Alan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question

NAPA has a Viton assortment - I would think those would do.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Converter Guy

I have spare seals if you need some, I can drop them in the mail monday. I always buy new solenoids which have new o-rings on them and the kits come with o-rings as well.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the offer DD. I will let you know. I'll try a few more stores today. Come to find out my automotive o ring kit is "standard". Doing some google searching, looks like they also sell a "metric" o ring kit as well. Maybe that will have what I need.

Sooo, should I drop the VB to search for the missing pieces of o ring...or leave it be?

-Alan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Converter Guy

If there are pieces you cannot find you better drop it before it hangs a valve and burns up the transmission. I would cut the filter open and look in it first.
I would think the pressure would blow it out.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Got it. All good!

Thanks,

-Alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in