03 trans with jmod results - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

03 trans with jmod results

Well I finally finished up the trans and mark8 shaft install. I hadnt done a trans for a few years, and I prob wont do another without a hoist. The new trans went in rather easy and i though it was all down hill after that.
The ujoint was a lil difficult to get in while the shaft was on the car. I ended up using my original yoke and not the mark 8 yoke because it was about 1/4 inch shorter. My trans mount was broke and the large nut was stuck on the stud. I ended up snapping the stud to get it off the xmember while my buddy and i stood on it and used a 4 ft breaker bar.
I broke 1 stud on the exhaust but luckily it was the one on the drivers side that is reached from above. Thankfully it broke in the y-pipe and not the manifold so i could drill it out easily. I made the mistake of installing the exhaust and realizing the xmember should have went in first, that sucked.
When i first slid under the car i noticed that the 2 bolts from tailshaft to xmember were missing. The new trans came with those 2 bolts though. Im told that the previous owner had to pull trans to get the new motor in. Other parts missing were 2 bellhousing bolts, and shifter linkage nut.

My over all impression is that it shifts quick, but i thought it would shift harder. I did use the brown and violet springs in the 1-2 so i was expecting a nice solid feel to it. At part throttle I cant tell much of a difference as far as firmness, at WOT it shifts quick and effortlessly. Im assuming the stall softened up the shifts some. Hopefully with a custom chip and some 3.73 gears it will improve a lil. The car does feel quicker although i need to get the trans cooler in tommorrow before i do any aggressive driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev93z View Post

My over all impression is that it shifts quick, but i thought it would shift harder. I did use the brown and violet springs in the 1-2 so i was expecting a nice solid feel to it. At part throttle I cant tell much of a difference as far as firmness, at WOT it shifts quick and effortlessly. Im assuming the stall softened up the shifts some. Hopefully with a custom chip and some 3.73 gears it will improve a lil. The car does feel quicker although i need to get the trans cooler in tommorrow before i do any aggressive driving.
You want "harder"? Pull out the purple spring, and leave the brown one alone. I can also tell you that the 94 ECM definately seems to shift softer than the 95 ECM (I've run both). I don't know why, but the shift programming is DEFINATELY different.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Hmm really, i have a 95 ecm i pulled out of a parts car before i junked it. Sounds like it might be worth swapping in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in