What Causes 3rd Gear Bang - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
What Causes 3rd Gear Bang

Here's the scenario:

Wide open throttle up a slight hill then completely off the throttle right before the 2 - 3 shift. Everytime I do this, it causes the transmission to slam into 3rd.

I have a nasty exit where I'm coming off a tight cloverleaf exit and merging into traffic which is doing 75 - 85 mph, while they are trying to exit. It is two exit lanes to my one merge lane, which has a decreasing radius at the end so it really bleeds off the speed. I come out of the curve and hammer it.

Probably 70% of the time, I’m smashing the gas to merge and get up to speed and some mutant will cut me off while they are slowing to take the exit. So I have to lift throttle (and maybe get on the brakes).

BANG it shifts into 3rd gear HARD!

I know it can’t be good for the transmission, but what is causing it? I don’t think I have a problem as it works perfect all other times. It is just this specific scenario. I’m just curious.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
4th Gear Poster

Check out my post and the replies just below yours titled 2-3 shift a bit hard-lots of great info and I think we both have the same problem...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up Throttle induced 2-3 THUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarbird View Post
Check out my post and the replies just below yours titled 2-3 shift a bit hard-lots of great info and I think we both have the same problem...
I don;t know if these are exact same symptoms as yours under same Throttle times but I agree with DD that its in Main VB & I had actually not noticed that mine does'nt do the Throttle induced 2-3 THUNK anymore with parts fm DD in my 96 Main VB which should be darn similar to 97 Main VB - Just for giggles this is what we did:

Sonnax Main Regulator Valve (black) & the shorter stiffer Spring fm 2001 Main VB.

O Ringed End Cap fm 2001 Main VB in 2-3 Shift Valve.

Sonnax Solenoid Pressure Regulator (black) Valve from 2001 VB but used the heavier 96 Spring vice the TEENY Sonnax Spring from the 2001 VB... & by teeny I mean it slipped over the small tit on the PR Valve vice bearing on the flat "lands" like all the other Springs do in the like PR Valves of both VB's

Stayed with Jerry's desired Orange (or Brown) Spring in Converter Clutch Servo & 0D Servo as the 96 Main VB already had both - (2001 main VB had longer lighter CC Spring with entirely different OD Servo Assy & 2001 Sep Plate has Feed Hole for it, etc...)

Mild JMOD settings on 96 Sep Plate in keeping w/stock Motor.

http://www.sonnax.com/index.php

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 12-19-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: corrected Solenoid Press Reg Spring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in