New to us 95 TBird LX (4.6), tranny behavior questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

New to us 95 TBird LX (4.6), tranny behavior questions

As mentioned in other threads, we recently had an addition to the family- a 1995 LX with 4.6L, low miles and runs great. Honestly, it runs a little too good after some Seafoam, MAF cleaning and general tune-up since it is actually my daughter's car- REALLY woke the Old Girl up! I personally have no complaints since my daughter tends (thankfully) to drives like an old lady- for now. After the tune-up, I hope she doesn't get bitten by a speed bug like her Old Man...

Anyway, I am curious about how this tranny is supposed to shift. I just completed a fluid swap today including the torque converter without issues. The tranny had obviously been serviced at some point before (based on the lack of a plug in the pan) but I wanted to service it for good measure and ensure there was Mercon V in it. Everything I can tell on the car indicates it was VERY well maintained and dropping the pan today just re-enforced that (hell, the pan was clean as a whistle).

My issue is that it seems to shift fine with no shudder or obvious slippage, but I am baffled by the shift points under hard acceleration. Under "normal" driving and at highway speeds, it seems smooth as butter and no issues with OD. The head-scratching comes in under WOT shifts.

When shifting 1-2 (and 2-3 for that matter), it seems to "slide" into gear with a semi-firm jolt when it finally decides to shift. No real "problem" just wondering if this car was designed to be overly-mushy shifting.

I am just wondering if there is something wrong since mushy (to me) shifts mean extra wear on a transmission. In the interest of disclosure, I was used to the shifting of a Chrysler 300 SRT8 which was MUCH newer technology and obviously tuned and built as a performer and I now drive a new Chevy 4x4 truck that is pretty firm also (especially for a truck).

Is this behavior normal and my OCD is getting the better of me or is this something she should be concerned about.

/r

Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
The semi-firm jolt you're feeling might be a broken 1-2 accumulator spring.

Only way to fix it is drop the pan, again! Read up on the J-mod, firms up the shifts and eliminates the mushy shifting.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
The semi-firm jolt you're feeling might be a broken 1-2 accumulator spring...
That's why I posted the questions. I am not sure there is anything broken since it shifts similarly from 2-3 also, but I am unfamiliar with this particular car. That's why I am a little confused, especially since I have no indications this car was even driven as anything other than a grocery-getter by a "little-old-lady". Hate to say it here, but I am a GM and MOPAR now guy even-though I was a BIG Fox-body Mustang guy years ago, but they (3 total) were all 5SP manual trannies...

The tranny seems like it is behaving OK in the grand scheme, but I am unsure what "normal" is for this car hence the questions.

/r

Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_SS_LDO View Post
When shifting 1-2 (and 2-3 for that matter), it seems to "slide" into gear with a semi-firm jolt when it finally decides to shift. No real "problem" just wondering if this car was designed to be overly-mushy shifting.

I am just wondering if there is something wrong since mushy (to me) shifts mean extra wear on a transmission. In the interest of disclosure, I was used to the shifting of a Chrysler 300 SRT8 which was MUCH newer technology and obviously tuned and built as a performer and I now drive a new Chevy 4x4 truck that is pretty firm also (especially for a truck). Allen
The whole mushy shifty thing is totally par for early 4R70w - This Site the BENCHMARK for Ford Trannys via Jerry's tech article detailing the need for JMOD in early 4r70w's - In a nutshell Ford did;nt get these things to shift right until 98-99 & JMOD fixes that - BUT absolutely positively your dated 95 4R70W is LIGHT YEARS longevity wise ahead of ANYTHING Chrysler has built since the old Chrysler Trannys of the 70's / 80's - Granted Chrysler INVENTED the Automatic Transmission but their Trannys are pretty much pure crap since the 90's...

Take Sunday off & absorb THIS: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...on/index.shtml

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 12-12-2010 at 09:16 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

You have pretty much confirmed my suspicions that it is acting normally. I seemed to recall reading that these trannies are soft-shifting (but generally pretty durable) by design. I'll take a harder look at the links provided but it will actually be up to my daughter to do any modifications if she'd like. My real concern was from a reliability standpoint. Depending on her check-book, there may be an AUX cooler in the future but again, it's up to her...

--Off-topic--

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
...my condolences you didn't buy a REAL Truck... I'm sure a Ford Truck is in your future.
Ha! I shopped Ford as well as Dodge but the Silverado had the best balance for what I wanted. Love the looks, rock-solid drivetrain and I tend to prefer GM brands now. 20 years ago, that was not the case...

Nothing wrong with the F150, I just don't care personally for their interiors. Seems solid but designed by Fisher-Price; just don't like the lay-out or looks. Same reason Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors I guess...

Drank the Cool-Aid 10 years ago with a loaded Toyota Tundra 4X4- had the TRD package that must have stood for TURD. Biggest POS I have ever owned and won't be guilty of doing that again. At least they have updated them so they are now hands-down the single ugliest truck on the market to match their internals...

/r

Allen

Last edited by RMC_SS_LDO; 12-12-2010 at 10:40 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Just a request for an understanding check...

If I understand the VAST information available in the transmission series (linked above), it seems to me that the main reason the shifts seem slow due to the time it takes for the accumulators to fill due to the diameter of the two holes that feed them and the clutch. Once the accumulators are filled, the shift is executed. The main control can be modified by drilling the two holes out and upgrading the accumulator(s) springs, allowing them to fill more quickly and thus eliminating the lag.

I know this is VERY simplified but am I reading and understanding this right?

/r

Allen
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Yup... understandably you grasped it better than most.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in