F-150 guy needs help with 4r75w issue. 4-2 bang. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

F-150 guy needs help with 4r75w issue. 4-2 bang.

Hey, So I used Jerrys tech stuff to rebuild an aode a few years ago.

Now I have a 2004 F-150 with a 4r75w in it.

The problem i'm having is the 4-2 shift is banging when I get on the gas.

I was looking through the tech articles on page 14 of the tranny 101. He talkes about the 4-2 / 4-3 flare / over rev. Do yall think using the tc lockup spring in the od servo spring that it could help with my problem?

And if there is anyone in the Austin Texas area that would be willing to help me out please let me know. I know it's hard trying to figure out a problem on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 PM
PostWhore

That's a tough shift on them. If I know I'm gonna jump on it and it's going slow enough to drop 2 gears, I manually drop a gear first.

In other words, I punch that little button and get it into D before jumping into passing gear 2nd.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 PM
PostWhore

I remember reading a topic awhile back on a debate on whether or not it's a direct 4-2 shift. It was said that there's a soft shift into 3rd before ****ing into 2nd. I'm not sure if that's been verified or not but apparently this is what Jerry, (the J in Jmod) has stated. If that's the case there could be something preventing it from shifting into 3rd before shifting to 2nd.

Just like CrystalPistol said you may want to manually shift into 3rd before punching it.

-Randy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
There is a PCM update that will fix the had this problem on a few 2004-2005 f150 did the update at ford and it was fixed

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'ôs ported manifolds
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
There is a PCM update that will fix the had this problem on a few 2004-2005 f150 did the update at ford and it was fixed
Have you got the TSB on that one Robert. I am interested in looking it over to see what the reflash does. I have heard of it, but have never been able to get anyone to get me the actual TSB that covers it. The only TSB I could ever find was for a harsh 3-2 downshift between 17-25mph and it wasn't for a WOT issue. I used that one on a truck here that was doing this and it didn't fix the problem. He ended up rebuilding the transmission and found hard part damage.

My biggest coincern is that this one obviously wasn't doing this up until recently. My opinion is that he too has beaten clearance into his hard parts by doing this a lot on the highway and that to help prevent further damage that he, and everyone else for that matter, needs to push the OD off button before doing that shift at WOT and particularly before doing anything at WOT that can take him in or out of OD.

If you can find tha TSB I would love to look into it. I can compare the files and see what the differences are to see how it will affect that shift.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
It may be for the 3-2 I can't remeber been years since I was at for butch know I corrected many of them just with a reflash, I'll have to go by ford which I gotta anyways and I'll look it up

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'ôs ported manifolds
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I talked to Darrin on the phone yesterday. It's probably the hard parts damage in the tranny. She runs strong in all gears it's just the 4-2 down shift that bangs. I just gotta hit the OD button to prevent it.

I really didn't notice the bang until after I got the truck. I had the computer re-flashed and it got a little better. My buddy noticed in the tune was ford was pulling -50psi in the line pressure on the 4-2 shift. He usually seen it at normal pressure for the stock tune. So I’m thinking ford new there was a problem in there but mine has some internal damage and it's too late to fix without a tear down.

I still have to replace the filter. I was thinking of trying the tc lockup spring in the od servo. Anyone know where I can get the stiffer spring outlined in Jerrys stuff?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You don't have an issue with needing a stiffer spring in that 04. That 'fix' was for the older stuff and was corrected at the factory in later models.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Darrin, I just looked under all the TSB's for 2004-2005 F-150's with 4.6 or 5.4L engines and the only automatic transmission related ones I could find were:

09-20-14 A/T - Uncommanded TCC Lock Up On 1-2 Upshift
05-21-18 A/T - Shift Cable Repair or Replacement

I couldn't find anything about harsh downshifts.
Maybe listed under a different vehicle?

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Darrin, I just looked under all the TSB's for 2004-2005 F-150's with 4.6 or 5.4L engines and the only automatic transmission related ones I could find were:

09-20-14 A/T - Uncommanded TCC Lock Up On 1-2 Upshift
05-21-18 A/T - Shift Cable Repair or Replacement

I couldn't find anything about harsh downshifts.
Maybe listed under a different vehicle?
The only one I heard was a general pcm flash. It included removing some of the throttle lag etc. But from what I have found it also affected the transmission too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in