B&M ratchet shifter in the works - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

B&M ratchet shifter in the works

Just spoke with B&M this weekend on the possibility of a new universal ratchet shifter for us MN12 owners with the 4R70W transmission. The only shifter made for the 4R70W/AODE by B&M at this time is the Hammer shifter for the Mustang made to fit the console. Thought about buying this one but decided against it...don't like the look and have a friend that has it and it feels cheep and I really don't like the throw. Also my car will be completely gutted so I will need one that mounts to the floor.

The good news is they have a universal shifter for our transmissions in testing at this time and depending on how it fairs may be in production soon.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this and give some info on what I found out to the people looking into this as a option for their automatics that don't want to retro fit or make their own brackets.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l sohc - lots of plans but short on time and cash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Why do you want this?

-Matt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Why do you want this?
I'm building my 95 thunderbird for strip use only. I have a workable 4.6l 2v with 4R70W in my shop. I am building the 2v with a carbureted set up but want to keep the 4R70W. I'll rebuild the trans to be able to stand up to what I am hoping is 400-500 hp naturally aspirated. I'm leaning toward the ratchet because of the 0 chance to miss a gear at the strip and to have complete control of when the trans will shift. My father had a ratchet in his 67 Mustang and I loved it. In my honest opinion it's the best of the automatic and manual in one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran Poster

B&M sucks, Hammer is the worst product they have IMO...I personaly have broken 3 of them just to make them work correctly, and none of them were mine to break

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
B&M sucks, Hammer is the worst product they have IMO...I personaly have broken 3 of them just to make them work correctly, and none of them were mine to break
I wouldn't say B&M products as a whole suck but some of their shifters are less then amazing. Every other B&M I've used manual or automatic presides my friends Hammer performed and felt great.

Funny you rip on the Hammer because the rep I was talking with said he would never recommend the Hammer to anyone..faith in the product huh!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran Poster

I rebuilt a 4R trans with a hammer that was cross bleeding the manual valve with my manual valve body because the detents were so off, even after I fixed it (by elongating the B&M shifter's lever) it was so sloppy you had to :hammer" it into 3rd, or it would not ratchet, and you had to go at it a second time. I didn't have much of a choice but request he invest in a new shifter before things happen again.

The ones I broke were all in mustangs, one was new, the other two were used deals (most likely from original owners who had enough of it's shiiit). Two of the owners went with a TCI units and said they like it.

On clickclickracing.com there is a guy complaining about a sloppy shift cable, and has a video, before he even said what shifter it was, I asked him if it was a B&M Hammer, I was right.

I posted on a local forum as well about ratchet shifters asking if there was such a thing as a good one, that I was not impressed with B&M, and that I wished to stay far away from B&M products. HURST came up, compliments on those, however more research finds that B&M owns Hurst....yeah ....so that was disappointing as well. I don't want that low quality crap near the guy who makes the shifter I buy/recommend.

now for the kicker, the TCI shifter the guys liked, still yet to touch one in person, but hmm....imges look a HELL of a lot like the B&M shifter in sheeps clothing. Add that TCI rebrands things with their logo as a fact, and you get a sneaky feeling of caution....for me anyway. If someone showed me that TCI manufactured shifters in house, or owned a corp that did, or just had someone building shifter for them that was not associated with B&M - - -I would feel 100% better about the suggestion! (maybe I should call and ask?)

So bottom line, in this "WORLD MARKET" place with increased competition and low cost alternatives to "real value performance" products (aka Chinese knockoffs, and full on Chinese manufacturing) you have to be a careful shopper. Spend your money wisely with someone who will support their products - - mostly because they make them, not just sell them.

edit:
Oh and yes, some B&M stuff has value...the cast Alumn pan does fit nicer that unbranded Chinese imitations.

------------------------- Dan Gilsdorf ---------------------------
www.Silverfoxtrans.com
www.clickclickracing.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in