4r70w into my aod powered supercoupe - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

4r70w into my aod powered supercoupe

Hey guys I bought a new sc and its arriving from nc tomorrow, the aod is basically shot, now I have a built dirty dog 4r70w on my supercharged crown victoria with a 9.5 tc 36000 stall which is working awesome, I think im going to part the crown vic , so instead of selling the trans I was thinking of stuffing it in the bird.

Is 3600 stall too much on a daily driven supercoupe will my mpgs suck? And what would I need to complete this swap? Thanks guys.

1993 tbird sc.. catback , 10%, 14 psi..... SOLD
1995 tbird sc.. auto,chameleon, MP Intake, MP tenioner springs,SCI Underdrives,double ic with fan, ported blower and plenum 8% pulley, single exhaust, flowmaster muffs. Mark viii brakes, 19 inch rims.. Taylor 8.2 wires, VDO gauges. ..15+lbs boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 AM

First, 3600 stall is too high for an SC. Second, to get it working in the SC, you'd need to obtain the PCM and all associated wiring from a 94-95 SC auto. You have to deal with the fact that the trans electronics go through the dash harness and figure out a way to make it work with the existing dash unless you plan on swapping. Then there are the other issues to deal with, namely the different MAF, injectors, crank sensor, and CCRM/IRCM the 94-95 PCM needs. It isn't a plug and play deal, but it's doable, and having a donor car available will take the nightmare out of it.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
3600 stall is too much unless you are making really big power on a sc, the 4r70w in your crown vic will not bolt to the 3.8 anyway.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Sucks to hear that, what are my options? C4 and aod?

C4 mpg will suck I think and aod I need to dump money on to make it strong.

1995 tbird sc.. auto,chameleon, MP Intake, MP tenioner springs,SCI Underdrives,double ic with fan, ported blower and plenum 8% pulley, single exhaust, flowmaster muffs. Mark viii brakes, 19 inch rims.. Taylor 8.2 wires, VDO gauges. ..15+lbs boost.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Easiest is going to be the AOD. I wouldn't go C4 for several reasons.

But, you can put a 4R70W in it using an aftermarket controller. I work with a lot of guys that have done that with good results. The most common one is used because it's the cheapest and I haven't been a fan at all. That one would be the Baumann stuff. As I said, I haven't ben a fan, but I just had a customer use that new Optishift(?) or whatever it's called in his 93 Mjustang that has a 351 in it and he seems to love it.

Powertrain Control Solutions sells a good product, but you are going to pay for that quality.

Kinda the same as usual when it comes to putting in what you want instead of what is the easiest or cheapest. There are available options and they mostly depend on determination and wallet depth. And also as usual with this stuffl, the hardest part is finding the right people to advise you who know the right products to use to get the results you want.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the help guys, Ive been reading some more and it looks like ill just have my aod rebuilt locally, ill tell them to install an A+ servo, anything else while they are in there?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Converter Guy

aode sun shell, 4r70w drums, 4r70w frictions, 4r70w intermediate pressure plate, 4r70w mechanical diode drum. Silverfox valvebody with electronic OD delete, and a brass tv cable grommet. Use the sonnax servo and install the wave springs. The band use a 2 inch high carbon.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

thanks Alan!!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

one more question guys, what stall should i go with?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Converter Guy

For a SC, I suggest two different options. I can raise the stall on the stock unit, eliminate the direct drive and do a bunch of durability upgrades. On a relatively stock SC motor this is a great upgrade and makes a nice smooth fun to drive experience. For a more aggressive converter or to help protect from ballooning that plagues the aod converters I have a billet cover 9.5 option. I usually suggest it around 2800.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

I work with a lot of guys that have done that with good results.

Darrin
Got a link?

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
4th Gear Poster

Question i would like to know more about your suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
aode sun shell, 4r70w drums, 4r70w frictions, 4r70w intermediate pressure plate, 4r70w mechanical diode drum. Silverfox valvebody with electronic OD delete, and a brass tv cable grommet. Use the sonnax servo and install the wave springs. The band use a 2 inch high carbon.
Alan
if you don t mind can you be a little bit more specific on the modifications you suggested

i would like to have some 4r70w goodys in my aod but i m very new to automatic trannys (allways had 5 speeds) to learn more about it i would apprechiat some more details

thank you very much

sincerely frank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in