2000 Crown Vic Tranny - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

2000 Crown Vic Tranny

Ok. To heck with that old tranny. I've read enough info from you guys to realize im just beating a dead horse with trying to fix that problem in the older style trans. I read some where that the 98-02 crown vic trannys are one of Alans preferred choices when going to a later model. I went ahead and picked one up the other day with right at 80,000 on it for 50 bucks. I know I have to repin for it and I got the schematic off the tech articles for it. I was wondering what else would I have to change. The speedo sensor or the gear itself? How do the pins come out of the harness plug or would it be better to cut and solder the 2000 plug to the stock bird harness? Also, what makes these trannys one of the better choices? Thanks guys. Im not going back to that TCC thread. Im sure you've had enough of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

2000 is still 11 years old & 80K aint young - I say full rebuild & new TC & new Cooler & the Main VB Fixes for 2000+ @ http://www.sonnax.com/

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
I know I have to repin for it and I got the schematic off the tech articles for it.

How do the pins come out of the harness plug or would it be better to cut and solder the 2000 plug to the stock bird harness?

The speedo sensor or the gear itself?

Also, what makes these trannys one of the better choices?
Look for the one from the panther forums, and compare what you see; the one in the tech article here is assuming you repin the tranny, which only works well for the old 94/95 inner electronics (it's separate wires). If you have a 94/95, put your stuff into the new pan, like the article. It needs the old solenoids, iirc.

http://p71interceptor.com/tranny/dia...ead/index.html

The connector that plugs into it is easier to repin for later cars to later transmissions, as everything in the pan works.

I repinned the connectors on my 96s and 97. You have to splice and move pins; It's fairly easy to disassemble the connector.

Remember, match the connector on the car signals' to the tranny signals; it exists, make the car match. You'd be amazed how many people get that backwards.

The tranny harness unplugs from the car, with the rear o2 sensors, iirc. It's easier to do on a bench somewhere, instead of under the car.

Note the unused pin locations; where there is no pin, you have to make a hole in the rubber piece to feed the wire thru. I used an awl, and it sealed on the wire perfectly.

Personally, if you have problems with one now, I'd throw the 80k mile tranny in and use it, and find another to build. With three cars, I keep a spare.
I put a jmod kit and DirtyDog converter in the last tranny I bought (02, 48k) before I installed it.

The speedo gear will have to change. What you need depends on your tire size and other factors.

From SCCOA:
http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html

There are upgrades in most of the internals in 99; 03 and later are better, but unless you're really good they won't work with out cars, due to no speedo takeoff gear. It's a First-In-Last-Out part.

There are upgrades and downgrades; look at the sonnax page referenced in KN's post above. New valve and the stiffener plate mod are two to consider for sure; they weren't much improved, lol.

The mech diode, upgraded accumulator pistons, and internal passage changes are the big things.

Here's a page of changes in CV trannys over the years (police is physically different):
http://p71interceptor.com/tranny/modelnumbers/crownvic/

The biggest thing stopping me from trying to rebuild one is the lack of expensive tools needed to do it correctly.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Wow, sounds difficult. Im not to electronically inclined. So I guess it would be better to switch the later tranny back to wires with all the older solenoids? Just didnt know if the later electronics were better than wires or not. Or is it just the internal hard parts? What TC do the crown vics have and are there any issues with it fitting to the Mark 8 flexplate? Thanks guys.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Moving pins is super easy with an awl to release the pin locks and make a hole in the seal as Grog6 said. You need to have a printout of the pinouts so you know what to move where. Before you can even get to the pin locks, you need to pop the lock out of the connector (i think it is black, maybe blue plastic between all of the pins). The lock pops out easily with a tiny flathead or awl. If you put an old school TCC solenoid (cant remember what years) you have to cut the plastic from your old TCC body so the later model plastic harness will snap into it. There is no need to swap over the internal harness from your older trans. I have done both of them in the car. I did one with the trans in on my old car and one without the transmission on the 96. The former is much easier. It is probably even easier to do it like Grog6 said on the bench, but I lacked foresight to do this at the time.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Does the tranny harness disconnect from the main/engine harness or is it all integrated? How about the trannies that sit behind the 5.4's? Are they built any stronger than the 4.6's. What im lookin to do is find what would be the best tranny to go and rebuild because I only want to do this once and I dont plan on making big power. Its a stock mark motor except for the tune and im working on getting the IMRC's workin. As you can tell im not to knowledgable when it comes to the trannies. Just lookin for an all around good set-up. Thanks again guys.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Does the tranny harness disconnect from the main/engine harness or is it all integrated?

SEPERATE.

How about the trannies that sit behind the 5.4's? Are they built any stronger than the 4.6's. What im lookin to do is find what would be the best tranny to go and rebuild because I only want to do this once and I dont plan on making big power.

THOSE ANSWERS ALL IN THE TCCOA ARTICLE YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN REFERRED TO.

Its a stock mark motor except for the tune and im working on getting the IMRC's workin. As you can tell im not to knowledgable when it comes to the trannies. Just lookin for an all around good set-up. Thanks again guys.

YOU WILL ENJOY DRIVING YOUR MK NUCH MORE WITH A PROPER SHIFTING TRANNY - UNLIKE WHAT OUR OLDER MK'S CAME WITH.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Do you think I should just keep the 97 tranny and rebuild it and install some of the upgraded parts from the later trannies? What would be the number one thing I would want to switch over? I think I remember reading somthing about the diodes are better in the laters. Maybe the vavle bodies. Dont know about the pumps. I bought an Alto Red Eagle master kit last time I had to do this and had pretty good luck with it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 PM
6th Gear Poster

Angry

If you are not willing to ABSORB jerry's Epistle TCC Thread then there is little hope for you - We are NOT going to spell it out for you when the answers have already been forwarded to you repetitively - Overhaul the damned new Tranny you bought & make the electrical accomodations that have been spelled out for you - PERIOD.

Had you done ANY due diligence you'd have already found this Thread but as that does not seem to be your strongpoint in one LAST attempt to spell it out for you here's where D/D & OTHERS helped me with mine - & I AM A HAPPY CAMPER:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51637

Last edited by BUCK; 02-13-2011 at 11:54 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Does talking like that make you feel like a big man!? Important? More like childish if you ask me. If you're tired of my questions than dont answer them and keep your negative comments to yourself. I had high respect for you Buck since youve been trying to help me with this problem as well as many others and I appreciate all the help but there is no need in talking like a jerk. I've even went as far as sending alan a pm for the fact I know im getting on some nerves and it clearly showed it right there. You dont have to worry about me asking anymore questions when it comes to tranny issues. I hope that SPELLED it out for you.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:40 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
Does talking like that make you feel like a big man!? Important? .You dont have to worry about me
Answers:

1) - I'm a grumpy old man that does'nt like the fact your redundant questions clearly reflect you have not absorbed the previous Answers that Members have taken the time to give you - If in your opinion that makes ME the jerk than so be it...

2) & I'm not worrying about you.

Last edited by BUCK; 02-16-2011 at 07:44 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
1) - I'm a grumpy old man that does'nt like the fact your redundant questions clearly reflect you have not absorbed the previous Answers that Members have taken the time to give you - If in your opinion that makes ME the jerk than so be it...
Rolling thunder, I think you will find a lot of us think the way Buck does here.

I didn't know a thing about these transmissions before I started here; my old posts are here, and these, and other threads in this forum have everything I leaned about these trannys.

I've replaced three, and am rebuilding one. There are several members that I've watched start here knowing very little, and now rebuild them for a living.

Actually, other than Alan, that's pretty much everyone else you see here, lol.

You won't see the "heavy duty" transmission guys offer advice to noobs that can't understand the material.

Pay someone to fix your tranny problems; you'll be much happier.

And so will we.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well first of all, im not going to get into this sensless nonsense with you buck. If you're not worrying about me then why did you respond? I understand where you're coming from Grog as I to deal with people on a daily basis asking the same questions in my line of work. I have a big problem with forgetting things. The majority of the time when I ask the same question it's because I don't remember asking it the first time. You're right, I dont know much about these trannies but im learning more and more by talking to you guys. The more questions I ask the more I understand where you're coming from with your answers. This will be the fourth time a transmission has been replaced or rebuilt in this car and im determined to make it the last. By talking with you I now know what to go with using the crown vic tranny as it is supposedly all around better and more durable. Just trying to get all my facts straight before I go doing this one more time. Again, I really do appreciate all the info you guys have been giving me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in