96 4.6 wont shift past 2nd gear and overdrive light is not responding - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

96 4.6 wont shift past 2nd gear and overdrive light is not responding

I'm working on a 1996 Thunderbird with the 4.6 engine. Transmission was shifting fine than all of a sudden with would not go past second gear. 1-2 shift a good with no lag or slipping. I have engine braking in manual 1,along with manual 2. From a take off the car with go 1-2 normally than hold 2nd until 36-37mph and than neutral out. If I engage manual second it kicks back into 2nd. If I keep it in drive while its neutraling out I can get second gear by rasing the rpm but it seem to slide than bump not bang back into 2nd. Also the over drive light does not have any effect during the neutraling not during acceleration. It wont light up with KOEO nor KOER. I have checked the fluid and it seems fine.

Last edited by 95Goldbird46; 02-16-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Poster

A couple of possibilities, first might be a bad shift solinoid pack or MLPS not reading correctly, second could be a blown direct clutch accumulator/direct clutch piston cracked, direct clutch housing stripped/cracked, third possibility is a stripped/snapped stub shaft.
Solinoids & MLPS can be serviced in-car, everything else requires removal and teardown/rebuild.
Good luck,

Kevin.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Right before this happened di you by chance have the car going really, really fast or did you get on it while in overdrive?

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Would a bad solenoid pack cause the O/D light not to function? I wasn't driving it when this problem occurred but I doubt the driver was doing any hard driving(hes almost 50)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Goldbird46 View Post
Would a bad solenoid pack cause the O/D light not to function? I wasn't driving it when this problem occurred but I doubt the driver was doing any hard driving(hes almost 50)
- Best of my knowledge Bad Solenoid would cause the OD Light to Blink provided Bulb is good thereby telling you it's stored a Tranny Code that documents the problem.

- Darrin helped me ID my bad Direct Clutch Drum during my Overhaul, per the Gurus it's a common failure.

& Grumpy old men like me can still do a little hard driving now & then...

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 02-23-2011 at 12:27 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok well how about the MLPS would that cause dead o.d. light? I did pull the cluster and test the bulb it tested good. Also replaced PCM with a known good one. The trans not shifting is no big deal. Its the O/D light that bothers me. I have changed many birdy trans but dont want to put one in and have the same problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
6th Gear Poster

Question

If OD Light never comes on first I'd Check the FUSE.

If Fuse is Blown first suspect is bad O/D Switch in Shifter.

2nd Suspect for blown Fuse is flooded MLPS Connector.

With Tranny not shifting & a good Fuse & OD Bulb I'm not understanading why OD Lite is not blinking - It should be.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok im going to go pick up a mlps today and post the results this evening
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Gave it away to the neighbors it was a faulty MLPS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in