Tips on dropping the 4R70W? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Tips on dropping the 4R70W?

Gonna be dropping the 4R70W outta my pops '94 LX here soon. I have the basic idea on dropping it. Exhaust, gas tank, then driveshaft and trany to engine bolts in a nutshell. Just curious if anyone has any quicker tips on dropping these tranies that might make life easier?

- Chris

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1993 Tbird LX with swapped 4.6 (still awaiting completetion)
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with 3" lift
1994 Acura Integra LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Get yourself a 10mm gear wrench, a 10mm swivel socket, and a 4" extension. Those tools will make removing the starter a hell of a lot easier. Also, leave the bottom starter bolt until last because it will hold the starter in, and make it easier to get the 2 upper ones out by hand, then you can remove the one with easy access last.

For the tank, don't drop it completely, just lower it enough to slide the driveshaft out towards the driver's side, then bolt it back up in place so it isn't hanging by the filler tube.

Oh, also since you're a chevy guy, remember that it has 4 torque converter nuts, not 3.

Other than that, it's just the same as swapping out any other RWD trans.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Whoops. Meant to say this would be the third time dropping it. Haha

And yea I do remember the starter being a complete PITA!

And, thanks for the DS tip. Didn't know it could be slid over like that.

- Chris

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1994 Acura Integra LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

When I dropped mine to swap in a different torque converter, I dropped the exhaust, but I didn't drop the fuel tank. I've pulled it twice - the first time I just loosened the tank to let it fall far enough to slide the driveshaft out of the way, the second time I tried what someone else here did, and just loosened the pumpkin nuts/bolts.

IIRC, I had to pull the DS loops both times. Drain the torque converter first to lighten your job (there is a plug unlike a Chevy). Make sure to pull the bolt from the fill tube and pay attention to the easiest way to pull that tube (I think I did it when the tranny was 1/2 way out). I learned the hard way about the tube and tried to put it in after everything else was installed and what a pita (I'm not sure I ever put that bolt back in come to think about it!) lol

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
PostWhore

Yep lol. I just separated the tranny and motors in two mn12s within three days (one of those being my car) lol. And the starter is the bi+[# about the whole job!

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Rick, do you have more information on the loosening the pumpkin bolts method?

- Chris

1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1994 Acura Integra LS
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 94fastbird
you can also, take the clips out of the yoke on the driveshaft, hammer and punch will be needed to pop the caps out. this will eliminate having to drop the drive shaft, fuel tank, or lowering the pumpkin. makes it alot easier.

Current Mods:
balanced & blueprinted block. by my dad & I @ (The Engine Shop INC.) i'm running manley forged i beam rods, forged manely .020 16cc dish pistons, forged 8 bolt crankshaft thats been polished, corba high volume oil pump, block has been align bored & decked. ported and polished early production heads, heads have been milled, 3 angle valve grind, ported exhaust manifolds, gasket matched intake, dual inlet dual outlet dynomax turbo muffler underseat with 3inch turndowns. transmission heavy duty clutches, b&m shift kit, frrp t lock with 373.
Future Mods:
pi swap with some comp cams and the new trickflow intake, high stall torque converter and mark 8 drive shaft, kooks 3/4 lenth headers and xcal2
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
On the starter I just use long extensions (swivel type) and go in from in front of the AC compressor. I've never had that much of a problem dropping the starter.

It is SO much better to use a tool to separate U joints than using a hammer!!!

AutoZone had a ball joint press as a "Loan-a-Tool program that has the big C clamp...

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM
PostWhore

The starter is the reason for a hole in my garage wall. Damn that thing.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Ok I'll do this one more time, because I cannot find the last time I did it

Step #1 disconnect battery, remove dipstick and remove 15mm nut(4.6L only) on driver side exhaust by using a long extension reaching down between the valve cover and master cylinder, then lift vehicle and remove 13mm nut retaining transmission shift cable to transmission. Then using a flat head screwdriver simply pop the cable off of the ball at the lever. It is important this be done before removing mounts or cable damage can occur.

Step #2 remove rubber exhaust hangers, support exhaust, disconnect all o2 sensors, remove remaining 3 exhaust stud nuts, remove 2 5/8 bolts holding mount bracket to transmission case and remove wiring harness from crossmember. With help of a buddy remove the 2 15mm crossmember bolts and remove exhaust.

Step #3 remove 4 12pt 12mm driveshaft bolts, remove 4 21mm nuts from differential mounts, the top is usually 15mm some however are 18. Let differential swing on axles. Slide driveshaft back out of transmission above differential. It may need to be turned ever so slightly to find the best location but it will come out of the transmission.

Step #4 remove 4 torque converter nuts using a 14mm wrench or 9/16. I find the tighter 14 is less likely to strip them out. Using a air ratchet, 3 inch 3/8 drive extension, 3/8 ball swivel and 3/8 drive mid depth 10mm swivel socket you can remove all 3 starter bolts with ease. This setup also works to remove the dipstick tube while you are there.

Step #5 remove cooler lines, make sure to hold the fittings if they try to spin, disconnect wiring harness, install transmission jack, using long extension and 13mm swivel socket remove all bellhousing bolts and drop transmission.

Reverse order for assembly.

Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:40 PM
PostWhore

DD what do you use to separate the engine and trans?

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Converter Guy

Usually I just force it up and down side to side until it pops loose. I have had to use a prybar in the past.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Veteran Poster

Do you have to let the motor drop down in the back to get to those top two on the DOHC's? Looks like the one on the passenger side in particular is hard to get to.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Converter Guy

It will tip a little in all applications.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
With the wiper cowl off the car, the top two are easy to get to with a wrench from the top. (I had it out already)

Two long extensions with a ujoint between them help from the bottom with those two.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Converter Guy

Sounds like too much work to me, A long extension does the job just fine. Visibilty is a problem. I learned a long time ago how to remove bolts by feel not sight.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I pull the wiper cowl too, open space is much easier on the knuckles. Plus it gives you a chance to clean any crap out that's gathered in there.

-Matt
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Veteran Poster

Good info guys, thanks. I've had my cowl off a couple times before. I to have also removed alot of bolts by feel. Just a little tricky when its time to put them back in. I've read on another post where DD talked about dropping the diff to remove the driveshaft so I'll go that route. My stock Mark shaft should work with an 00-03 cv tranny should'nt it? I know I will have to move my vss over.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Veteran Poster

oss, im sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in