TC not seated! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

TC not seated!

So my tc went out on my 95 lx so i got a tranny with tc. We didnt check to make sure the tc was still seated when bolting everything together and when it is turn over by hand there is a clanking from the bell housing near the input shaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Someone can correct me but that could be the Pump.

Time to pull the tranny back out.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I also forgot that it the tranny is tightened all the way that it binds and wont turn by hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You just have to pull it out and reseat it, I've gone through this a few times on mine and others cars.

-Matt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Cool i mean that sucks big time but i was expecting to hear i f$%^ it up. Oh and does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind of adhesive i should use to put the breather on the back topside of the tranny on. My new tranny didnt have one on it so i pulled the old one off and was going to use JB Kwik.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The vent is pressed in, just leave it be don't seal it up.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluharty89 View Post
So my tc went out on my 95 lx so i got a tranny with tc. We didnt check to make sure the tc was still seated when bolting everything together and when it is turn over by hand there is a clanking from the bell housing near the input shaft.
You WILL get a clank until you Bolt TC to Flex Plate as TC Studs rattle in Flex Plate holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluharty89 View Post
I also forgot that it the tranny is tightened all the way that it binds and wont turn by hand.
Is it in Park ? - Are TC Studs in Flex Plate Holes ? - Are you turning Crank the right direction ? - Or is really in a bind ? - Don't Bolt it up in a bind, that could very well bend Flex Plate or God knows what else ~!

Make sure TC is seated to Pump - I never could achieve the dimensions called for in Manual to verify that but this method worked for me:

I would suggest to just reach behind TC & slide something between Pump Fasteners & back of TC - I had 1/8 inch gap there - The Gear lands on TC are 9/16 deep - So if you only have 1/8 inch gap left at back of TC to Pump Fatseners you know darn well that the TC is not 9/16 shy of being all the way back into Tranny so Gear Lands MUST be seated.

Mate Tranny to Engine with maybe one or 2 easier Bolts ... ensuring TC can still be slid BACK fm Flex Plate about 1/4 inch & TC Studs are thru Flex Plate Holes.

Torque remaining Tranny Fasteners.

Bolt TC to Flex Plate.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 04-24-2011 at 12:08 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I wasnt going to seal it i was going to jb weld the tube in.

The tc isnt completly tightend just snug. The tranny was the same way.
Im done withit for a few days till i get one off from work but when i get back to it im going to get an extra person to make three i figure that ought to make it go real quick.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Remove transmission, remove tc, lubricate tc hub with transmission assembly lube or ATF inside the spines and on the snout, push the tc onto the input shaft, spin the tc clockwise while firmly pushing inward, spin it again (same direction) while applying pressure, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, when in doubt...repeat. You should hear 2-4 decent thuds, or clunks, I only heard 2, but I felt 3 or 4. My tc was fully seated. Yours definately isn't. Also dumb question but the spacer/plate is installed between the block and trans correct? If not I'm unsure if it would cause issues. Good luck, I've had no issues with the 4r70w's cooperating, or 4L60's/700R4's but for some reason I always screw up installing tc's in 4T60's it drives me nuts. When in doubt step away, cool off, refocus, shake/jiggle the tc slightly while spinning/turning/pushing it in.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:51 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Remove transmission, remove tc, lubricate tc hub with transmission assembly lube or ATF inside the spines and on the snout, push the tc onto the input shaft, spin the tc clockwise while firmly pushing inward, spin it again (same direction) while applying pressure, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, when in doubt...repeat. You should hear 2-4 decent thuds, or clunks, I only heard 2, but I felt 3 or 4. My tc was fully seated. Yours definately isn't. Also dumb question but the spacer/plate is installed between the block and trans correct? If not I'm unsure if it would cause issues. Good luck, I've had no issues with the 4r70w's cooperating, or 4L60's/700R4's but for some reason I always screw up installing tc's in 4T60's it drives me nuts. When in doubt step away, cool off, refocus, shake/jiggle the tc slightly while spinning/turning/pushing it in.
I know you are trying to help but IMO all that jiggle THUMP stuff does NOT help - As well as the Manual dimension fm Fwd face of TC to Tranny Flange does NOT help - The damned TC lands to Pump are 9/16 deep - So if you only have 1/8 fm back of TC to Pump Fasteners you ARE Seated - That's a dimension you can COUNT ON.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 04-26-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: sp
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I reseated the TC in my car today. I have found that it will turn over by hand, but the problem isn't that it isn't seated (I don't think) but the TC bolts are rubbing against the spacer plate between the Engine block and the bellhousing. When they hit an open area they hit the lip and the engine won't turn. Is it possible to install the spacer plate incorrectly so it is too close to the TC?

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
PostWhore

not really. Not unless it's sticking out a lot at any point. The bolts and dowels should line it up. Maybe its broken?

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM
̇

Garage
Ballooned Torque Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
the TC bolts are rubbing against the spacer plate between the Engine block and the bellhousing.
IMO..Your TC is either slightly ballooned or not fully seated..

Here's a pic of an extremely ballooned Torque Converter!!
Ballooned Torque Converter.jpg

You can actually see the indentations of the Flex Plate Bolts on the converter it was ballooned so bad..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 07-03-2017 at 01:33 AM. Reason: update pic..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in