Is a Driveshaft Balance Worth It? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Is a Driveshaft Balance Worth It?

I have a 1995 'Bird with under 100K miles (don't know exact number cause odometer quit at 43,000). Here are the things I've done to the transmission & rear drive train in order:

1) Upgraded accumulators and 1-2 spring.
2) J-Mod Valve Body Plate
3) Mercon V Fluid / 96- Pan and Filter
4) Front & Rear Tranny Seals
5) 3.08 to 3.27 rear gear swap
6) Rear Aluminum Pumpkin / LCA swap & Rear Discs
7) Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft
8) Mark VIII Torque Converter

After about 5-10 thousand miles, I noticed A LOT of vibration. I checked:

1) U-Joints - were OK.
2) Half Shafts - were OK, but 1 seems a bit sloppy, so I figured that was the problem.

I went out of town for a couple of months and left the 'Bird with Daniela. She called after 4 weeks and said the car was acting up - transmission slipping. I had her bring it to the garage and have fluid added. They topped it off, but Daniela said it was leaking out bad. I figured she was exaggerating and said I'd deal with it when I got home. When I got home, the transmission fluid was literally POURING out almost as fast you pour it in. I figured something I touched much be leaking.

After putting the car up on a lift here is what I found:
The rear tailshaft housing was totally FALLING OFF the transmission. I tightened up all the bolts, filled it up with fluid. The leaking and vibration are totally gone now.

So why would those bolts loosen up so much? I never touched those bolts when I pulled the tranny and did all the other work. Bottom line: could the driveshaft be out of balance slightly and be vibrating enough to loosen up all those bolts? I'm going to remove my DS and have it balanced soon just to be safe.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 06-14-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
You do have a 93 driveshaft don't you? Balancing a 94-98 shaft is impossible.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Like DD said if it's a 93 shaft you can balance it. I would say it's very worth it, especially when it comes to anything driveline related.

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yes, the shaft is a one-piece from a '93.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
You do have a 93 driveshaft don't you? Balancing a 94-98 shaft is impossible.
Alan
They can be balanced, unless damaged and slipping inside.They aren't the best to use as most people know, but that doesn't mean it can't be done...

·Ď˘ĺrµ§·

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post

After putting the car up on a lift here is what I found:
The rear tailshaft housing was totally FALLING OFF the transmission. I tightened up all the bolts, filled it up with fluid. The leaking and vibration are totally gone now.

So why would those bolts loosen up so much? I never touched those bolts when I pulled the tranny and did all the other work. Bottom line: could the driveshaft be out of balance slightly and be vibrating enough to loosen up all those bolts? I'm going to remove my DS and have it balanced soon just to be safe.
Earls old 95 which I currently own had the same problem, I'm shocked it made it home on the drive from north California to Nevada. When I put it on a rack at work I saw two bolts falling out, clean the bolts threads as much as possible with a wire wheel and brake cleaner and apply blue loctite to the threads when you reinstall them. My 97 had the same problem as well. My 97 has a nvh (noise vibration harmonic) black weight attached to the tailshaft housing my 95 did not. They both got the same outcome. It's the first thing I check for tranny leaks on these cars now along with dipstick o-rings.

As far as having the driveshaft balanced it's a good idea anyway, if you pull it to have it balanced then it would be wise to change a few low cost items while it's out of the way such as:
u-joints
tailshaft housing seal (paper gasket between extension housing and transmission case) extension housing bushing
output shaft seal/extension housing rear seal
rear differential mounts

If your vibration doesn't get fixed this will likely cause the loosening problem to continue or get worse, and unbalanced driveshaft can ruin the bushing in the extension housing, the output seal, cause irregular wear patterns on the diff gears, ruin the pinion seal, destroy u-joints, etc... of course most of this is worst case and severe vibration examples but damage can happen, and wear items are easier to service while that shaft is out of the way.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb Is a Driveshaft Balance Worth It?

Balancing my existing 96 2 Piece & replacing U Joints lessened the Harmonic vibe but broadened the lesser harmonic over a wider MPH span vice the Stock narrower MPH span but greater harmonic vibe - It was an improvement overall but in the end I wish I'd not spent a dime on the 2 piece & bought a one piece.

Make sure whoever is replacing the U Joints actually CARES as the Aluminum Yokes are fragile, these are'nt your grandpas Cast Iron Yokes.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thanks Guys!

Chris, I'm glad to hear about others that have had this problem. I forgot to mention that when I had the tranny out, I noticed the rear tranny mount was broken; I put a new mount in when I put the tranny back in. Also, I was aware that the shaft rides only on the rear bushing, and the lower the rear gear, the worse this problem becomes. I will take your advice and put new differential mounts, u-joints, balance, and then a good 4 wheel alignment. Thanks!

Buck, I know exactly what you mean. At our shop, so many employees just beat the bajeesus out of the yolks and bend the aluminum ones. Therefore, only myself and Dan (the owner) change u-joints on aluminum shafts. We use a vice and press them out, not a hammer!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Here's the actual problem:

The driveshaft has separated.

They are two pieces of sheetmetal, bonded together with rtv.

The RTV lets go.

Ive had two fail. One was loose, and rattled; the other spun inside itself.

I thought I blew the tranny, lol.

High speed interstate driving killed mine; the new car I bought got a new one the first week.

Search my posts from ~2005; I had several threads on "Vibration problem"

BTW, If the tailshaft bolts are loose, the tailshaft bushing and seal are wasted as well.

It also put a funny pattern in the bearings in the rear wheels, as well as took out the diff gears. (vibration was bad before it failed)

It killed the tranny, being perpetually low on fluid, (0-1 qt low will kill it, eventually)

While replacing the tranny, I found the bad driveshaft; it sounded like a baby rattle when shook.

It was loose from end to end, 2 separate pieces.

The spec sheet from sccoa says it's "collapsable" WETF that means.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Here's the actual problem:

The driveshaft has separated.

They are two pieces of sheetmetal, bonded together with rtv.

The RTV lets go.

Ive had two fail. One was loose, and rattled; the other spun inside itself.

I thought I blew the tranny, lol.

High speed interstate driving killed mine; the new car I bought got a new one the first week.

Search my posts from ~2005; I had several threads on "Vibration problem"

BTW, If the tailshaft bolts are loose, the tailshaft bushing and seal are wasted as well.

It also put a funny pattern in the bearings in the rear wheels, as well as took out the diff gears. (vibration was bad before it failed)

It killed the tranny, being perpetually low on fluid, (0-1 qt low will kill it, eventually)

While replacing the tranny, I found the bad driveshaft; it sounded like a baby rattle when shook.

It was loose from end to end, 2 separate pieces.

The spec sheet from sccoa says it's "collapsable" WETF that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Yes, the shaft is a one-piece from a '93.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in