Recommendations - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Recommendations

Basically I need a new transmission according to the experts.

My 97 last week went from quick firm 1-2 shifts to super soft Cadillac like spongy shifts, instantly this caught my attention. I pulled over checked all of my gauges and fluids and nothing was out of place, temps normal, oil pressure normal, volts normal, no dtcs, no OD light, hmmm weird. I revved the car up lightly in park up to 3,000 to verify my IMRC's were operating correctly, sure enough they were, msd box getting proper revs per display (had a problem a few days before with rpm fall out). During the rev though I noticed a weird sound on settling almost like valve clatter but not rev consistent...weird... I revved it up again and heard a loud whining coming from the transmission area. Like magically I had a vortec supercharger under the hood pssh I wish. Then I heard the rattling sound again on de-rev. It sounds like a coffee can full of marbles.

Alan (DirtyDog) tells me it is likely that my roller clutch is letting go and that the whine is the snap ring rubbing against the case and the marble rattle sound is the rollers falling out.

(I trust his opinion and diagnostic and will be buying my rebuild parts from him)

My future uncle (in-law) says that Alan is full of **** (doubt it) and that it's probably a sub-par performance torque converter letting go [causing soft 1-2 shifts] and the planets are letting go due to fragments from the tc working through the transmission [hence the whine]

(I don't believe him at all and only listened to his rambling because my fiancÚ called him while I was in the shower and told him about the transmission problem. I have access to his shop at my disposal, even though I won't use it because that would require tolerating him and his less then accurate opinions.)

From what I understand anything 98+ has a mechanical diode assembly installed from the factory. Alan had suggested a 03+ if I remember correctly but said that the 03+ would require a tailshaft swap as well as re-pin.

My current setup is:
4.6 Dohc with mods
Lasota tune from Don
97 transmission
DirtyDog torque converter F63HSHD (I think)
Jmod by Supergordo
Castrol Mercon V
LPW finned deep sump aluminum transmission pan
And other misc supporting mods.

Basically I wanted to know what year 4r70w transmissions I should be looking for ideally, like I said I'm not certain that was the correct year that Alan told me over the phone it's been about a week since I talked to him last and my memory isn't the best.

Regardless of what year I buy I'd like to go all out with this transmission (within reason) so it will be getting a complete rebuild.

So far on my list I've got:
98+ good core
Rebuild kit from Alan
Forced lube rear bushing mod

I wanted to know how many plates should I go with on the forward drum?
5, 6, 7, wave? No wave?
What difference does that make during the build? Sorry for my ignorance.

Should I upgrade the stub shaft?
Should I upgrade the sun gear?

Is it possible to reuse some of my 2,000 mile jmod parts from my car now or is it all crap now?

Is my TC able to be reused or is it a paper weight now?

Thanks for you help anyone and everyone.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Also what years should I avoid at all costs?

I have a tired 93 trans sitting in the corner of my garage that I was told to use as a paper weight or emergency for my 95 bird.

My buddy found me a Local "shop" that sells any year 4r70w for $700 to my door cash on delivery completely rebuilt with a two year unlimited mileage warranty, but that seems too good to be true.

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
04 mustang transmission with your planet outer ring gear, OSS sensor, extension housing, output shaft with solid sealing rings installed, spiral snap ring on intermediate one-way and a high energy band. That is a good base level transmission. Beyond that mod the valvebody install the sonnax pr valve kit, make sure the epc is new and install the sonnax overdrive servo pin. I would also add a few clutches but that is getting more involved.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Out of sheer curiosity is a 01,02,03 worth swapping in? Not trying to beat a dead horse here, I'm just not having much luck finding an affordable 04 locally.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

10-4 Alan, I'll keep looking.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well it's officially time! I got my 2004 mustang transmission today. Tag number 3R3P-7000-BA. Seems to match what this post says. http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=13 All for the wonderfully low mileage of 16,000 and low low price of $350. Let the tear down begin.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Right on are you going to throw your customized J-modded valve body in this one? Are you going to replace your trans cooler? I am just thinking about the idea that you want to avoid sucking up any metal shavings or other garbage that the dying trans may have introdued to the system somewhere before / after the trans / in the lines. Anything else going on with the car or is it just a new trans? That's a hell of a deal, BTW I've got a single piece 93 Mark VIII driveshaft coming for my bird this week...going to get it balanced & new U joints pressed in, then it's on to a new computer tune
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

$350 ~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Right on That's a hell of a deal, BTW

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
$350 ~!
I know. I've been shopping for them for weeks, I was shocked when I asked this guy what his lowest price would be I jumped on it right away before someone else got to it.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Right on are you going to throw your customized J-modded valve body in this one? Are you going to replace your trans cooler? I am just thinking about the idea that you want to avoid sucking up any metal shavings or other garbage that the dying trans may have introdued to the system somewhere before / after the trans / in the lines. Anything else going on with the car or is it just a new trans? That's a hell of a deal, BTW I've got a single piece 93 Mark VIII driveshaft coming for my bird this week...going to get it balanced & new U joints pressed in, then it's on to a new computer tune
I'm probably going to bypass the radiator entirely and use a stand alone 45,000gvw cooler possibly with a fan. If not I'll flush the lines and cooler with that cooler kleen stuff. The TC is getting pulled and shipped to Alan for decontamination and possibly rebuilding with a new lining depending on the extent of the contamination. Hopefully it's not wrecked.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

That gold nugget you found is WAY too good for Rad Cooler - Do it right - They are a dime a dozen on Ebay.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
That gold nugget you found is WAY too good for Rad Cooler - Do it right - They are a dime a dozen on Ebay.
I've been on the fence for a while on whether or not to completely bypass the factory cooler, but from my understanding even in my brutal 115+ climate the 45,000gvw cooler will be sufficient.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Delete takes heat load OFF the Rad too so that;s ALL good - Toasty her in SC & all I'm running is Aerostar Tranny Cooler - 11 inch DD TC could throw a tad more heat load but zero probs - What you see is slower Temp Rise on Gauge & fewer fan cycles in normal operation.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
04 mustang transmission with your planet outer ring gear, OSS sensor, extension housing, output shaft with solid sealing rings installed, spiral snap ring on intermediate one-way and a high energy band. That is a good base level transmission. Beyond that mod the valvebody install the sonnax pr valve kit, make sure the epc is new and install the sonnax overdrive servo pin. I would also add a few clutches but that is getting more involved.
Alan
So basically since it has such low milage should I just order the 98+T11 and 76833E?
Should I get the 4R7911, 4R7111, or are they already hardened in the 04?
Can I reuse my pressure reg kit 769223 from my contaminated tranny?
Can I reuse my larger then stock overdrive servo?
Does the new pin work with the large servo? (I ask because the sonnax website instructions show the stock sized servo with the sleeve, my upgraded one is the larger unit without the sleeve)
In your jmod installation video I noticed you installed an aftermarket 2-3 accumulator piston with 4 o-rings, do you offer that as an upgradable option for the 98+T11 kit?

Thanks for all of your help Alan, the trans has those plastic plugs with bolts holding them in over holes the unused holes exactly where you said they would be. Will the second speed sensor hole near the mlps cause any interference with anything?

Sorry for all of the questions, I really appreciate you going above and beyond with your technical support for my swap. You have no idea how grateful I am. If your ever in Vegas I owe you a beer of your choice Sir. (with the exception of that insanely priced beer in a squirrel non-sense)

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb http://www.sonnax.com/

http://www.sonnax.com/ answers most of your questions.

Your new Main VB is WAY different so doubtful for PR swap - IMO what you have is a darn nice road tested JMOD''d Main VB for a friend.

Sonnax has new stuff for your 2004 VB.

2004 has 2.7 Servo already but maybe NOT the fancy o ringed Sonnax Pin - It's all swappable but you want new C Clips - Don't forget you can Pre Load the OD servo Spring per Sonnax if you desire,

Last edited by BUCK; 07-12-2011 at 03:03 AM.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Converter Guy

I suggest the 76948-12k and the 76833e That is what I use on my builds. I do sell the piston seperately and include it in kits when needed. They are actually hard to find at times I ended up having to buy them direct from the manufacturer to get a fair price. They want me to order 2000 to get a great deal but I don't think I need that many....The speed sensor hole will not cause a problem I generally knock a freeze plug in the hole. I do not know anything about any beer in a squirrel I am a simple man Bud light will do just fine. As buck said the od servo in the 04 will be larger, use it!
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I do not know anything about any beer in a squirrel I am a simple man Bud light will do just fine.
Alan
BrewDog makes the beer, it's 55%, it's titled "End of History", and the bottle comes stuffed in a taxidermied squirrel. From what I've heard it's drank like a whisky due to it's strong alcohol content and it's cost is a staggering $750!

I'm glad your more of a budlight guy. I've got plenty of those in the fridge. Lol.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
BrewDog makes the beer, it's 55%, it's titled "End of History", and the bottle comes stuffed in a taxidermied squirrel. From what I've heard it's drank like a whisky due to it's strong alcohol content and it's cost is a staggering $750!

I'm glad your more of a budlight guy. I've got plenty of those in the fridge. Lol.
This is all kinds of wrong.
BTW, if you guys want any squirrels, I think I saw a couple near my office.
You can DIY your own "End of History Beer".
-g

PS. I showed this to a friend of mine. Her comment was "gross -- it'd be like kissing a dead squirrel"

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 07-12-2011 at 01:32 PM.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
So basically since it has such low milage should I just order the 98+T11 and 76833E?
Definately 76833E, how about the kit, would the 98+T11 kit be sufficient or should I invest in the 4R7Z11?

Should I get the 4R7911, 4R7111, or are they already hardened in the 04?
?

Can I reuse my pressure reg kit 769223 from my contaminated tranny?
yes?

Can I reuse my larger then stock overdrive servo?
Yes, but it's the same as the 04 unit

Does the new pin work with the large servo? (I ask because the sonnax website instructions show the stock sized servo with the sleeve, my upgraded one is the larger unit without the sleeve)
Yes

In your jmod installation video I noticed you installed an aftermarket 2-3 accumulator piston with 4 o-rings, do you offer that as an upgradable option for the 98+T11 kit?
yes
Quote:

Your new Main VB is WAY different so doubtful for PR swap - IMO what you have is a darn nice road tested JMOD''d Main VB for a friend.

Sonnax has new stuff for your 2004 VB.
769223 is the product code for the 76948-12k kit from Alan's website from my understanding it is for 96-current.

Quote:
I suggest the 76948-12k and the 76833e That is what I use on my builds. I do sell the piston seperately and include it in kits when needed. They are actually hard to find at times I ended up having to buy them direct from the manufacturer to get a fair price. They want me to order 2000 to get a great deal but I don't think I need that many.
Alan
What's the price on the piston?

Thanks guys!

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Converter Guy

My site generated those numbers I don't use them I use sonnax's numbers. The piston is $13.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, so far on my list of questions and upgrades I've got:
upgrade the od band
upgrade the od servo pin
upgrade the 2-3 piston with the aftermarket 4 seal design
upgrade the pressure reg valve with my 2,000 mile sonnax unit (clean it really well)
use the stock 3-4 piston as it is the same as my upgraded 97 part only not contaminated
Spiral staked snap ring

Change with 97 parts:
The planet outer ring gear
Output shaft with solid sealing rings instead of the scarf cut seals

Do I need to change the extension housing? Aren't they the same?

Quote:
My site generated those numbers I don't use them I use sonnax's numbers. The piston is $13.
Alan
Ok so should I invest in the 98 and up upgrade kit from you or should I save up and buy the complete rebuild kit from you?

Both come with the shift kit, od band, and retaining ring.

Should I buy the hardened stub shaft?

Should I buy the hardened sun gear?

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Converter Guy

When you make a list i will help you through it to get what you need completely. Once you tear the transmission down you will get the answers to most of your questions. I do not suggest the 300m stub shaft because when you get to the point the good one would break you'll likely twist the direct drum or despline the forward hub. I use it only for people who need it because their tq is so high that without it they will break constantly and they upgrade the direct drum. The forward hub i have a different fix for that requires machine work.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
When you make a list i will help you through it to get what you need completely. Once you tear the transmission down you will get the answers to most of your questions. I do not suggest the 300m stub shaft because when you get to the point the good one would break you'll likely twist the direct drum or despline the forward hub. I use it only for people who need it because their tq is so high that without it they will break constantly and they upgrade the direct drum. The forward hub i have a different fix for that requires machine work.
Alan
Okie dokie, 10-4. I'll let you know what I find when I tear it down.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Sorry for another question but I was reading about adding frictions from 5 to 6 or 7, (preferably 6 since no machining is required) I read it was highly recommended for dedicated track use and heavy abuse, definately not for putting around town under 40 like granny since more frictions cause more heat and heat+transmissions=bad, but frankly I drive like a donkey (tccoa doesn't allow naughty words) ALL of the time. 95% of the time I leave with over 1/2-3/4-full throttle. I beat on my car, I love it as if it were my child but that doesn't mean she can let me down. I'm addicted to high revs (6300rpm) 1-2 & occasionally 2-3, never wide open 3-4 or 4-3 (to avoid potential 4-2 flare destruction) and I love to feel my modified 4v suck me back into my seat and chirp the sticky tires (255/50/17 nitto INVO). I plan on running the 45,000gvw plate transmission cooler and possibly a dedicated fan since it will no longer be utilizing the factory radiator cooler.

With all of that said are added frictions right for me? If so how many in each assembly? Thank you all for your assistance.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I want to go for a ride in the DOHC beast at some point once it's back on the road sounds like a fun car.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Converter Guy

call me I'll explain it to you
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Chris -

Sounds like you got it goin' on. I've gathered some knowledge from this thread. Dirty Dog you really know your stuff! Don't know how the forum feels about external transmission fluid filters but I have changed enough fluid to think they have a lot of merit. With all the work proposed to be done to this tranny, I'd like to suggest considering an external filter.

Just my $ .02.

Rusty
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

I can't say that I personally have seen Thread about remote Tranny Filters - But there are aftermarket remote Spin On Filter Kits with the Temp Regulator incorporated into them that gets reccommended in Cold Climates - I have one like that on the Turbo Car Oil Filter & Cooler setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in