Weird tranny issue (video) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Weird tranny issue (video)

Any ideas what would cause this.. I have adjusted the mlps. Replaced the oss there was a code and replaced the tps....

Kinda lost now.. When I let off the gas this is the result..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxchcl9mOHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clFtfs5G70

The engine light is back seems the Non Fouler trick is not working and I'm getting a 430 code..

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
You talkign about the idle surging up and down? Seems to happen often with a high stall converter. My guess is that the pcm expects the converter to hold the rpms up and the converter is not doing it because of the stall. So the pcm has to use a "dashpot" feature to prevent the engine from stalling. Mine is doing it right now as well, changes to the tune that keep the converter locked when you let off the throttle seem to help a ton.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Great!!!

That's what I needed to hear. I am still waiting for gears and so on before the tune...

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
The engine light is back seems the Non Fouler trick is not working and I'm getting a 430 code..

Thanks...
You have an 03 engine and are already getting oil seepage? That sucks...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Poster

I would look into the "minimum air rate", also known as base throttle blade adjustment. I will bet that it is too far closed, good luck.

Kevin.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
You have an 03 engine and are already getting oil seepage? That sucks...
Nope no seepage..

No cats...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=1316812
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Ah. You need a tune or a set of mil eliminators.

I didn't replace the seals in my 03 engine; I'd hate to hear of one leaking.

Keep an eye on the timing chain tensioner setup; if you hear noise, look. I replaced mine with the upgrades.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok I have a xcal2 and a tune on the way.. We will see if it helps...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
You talkign about the idle surging up and down? Seems to happen often with a high stall converter. My guess is that the pcm expects the converter to hold the rpms up and the converter is not doing it because of the stall. So the pcm has to use a "dashpot" feature to prevent the engine from stalling. Mine is doing it right now as well, changes to the tune that keep the converter locked when you let off the throttle seem to help a ton.
Alan
Is this gonna happen when i install my 3800 stall?

---Jeremy
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Lets hope not!!!

Bugs the heck out of me....

I also seem to have trouble with the shift points...I think it may just be me tho... I have no idea what this tranny was built for to what specs I mean... I know who built it and who bought it..
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiveJuggalo17 View Post
Is this gonna happen when i install my 3800 stall?
Maybe, but it doesn't hurt anything at all just when you let off the throttle completely the idle goes down then up about 3 times quickly.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Maybe, but it doesn't hurt anything at all just when you let off the throttle completely the idle goes down then up about 3 times quickly.
Alan
Would a mail order tune fix that?

---Jeremy
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I hope so!!!!

I had a tune sent to me today but it wont load to the xcal2 so I am waiting to find out...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Would a mail order tune fix that?
Yes it will, However a certain tuner who used to frequent this board refuses to tune any vehicles that have anything to do with me (sabotaging his own business I presume). I can give you a list of competent tuners who are familiar with these cars.
Dave Dalke deals with them the most, if for some reason he does not want to do it I suggest Rick at Amazon Racing, Jeff at Precision Autosports or Mike at Dayton performance. All of these people are competent in tuning an automatic and will treat you fairly.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Yes it will, However a certain tuner who used to frequent this board refuses to tune any vehicles that have anything to do with me (sabotaging his own business I presume). I can give you a list of competent tuners who are familiar with these cars.
Dave Dalke deals with them the most, if for some reason he does not want to do it I suggest Rick at Amazon Racing, Jeff at Precision Autosports or Mike at Dayton performance. All of these people are competent in tuning an automatic and will treat you fairly.
Alan
Right on alan, once again you are on top of every question i may have ridiculous or not, now for a mail order tune would i need the xcal tuner? should i invest in an SCT? for the 3800stall,373gears?

---Jeremy
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
I hope so!!!!

I had a tune sent to me today but it wont load to the xcal2 so I am waiting to find out...
What kinda converter you got bud?

---Jeremy
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Right on alan, once again you are on top of every question i may have ridiculous or not, now for a mail order tune would i need the xcal tuner? should i invest in an SCT? for the 3800stall,373gears?
You could get a chip as well, that is probably the cheapest solution. I try to avoid SCT but that is me. I bought a Quarter Horse, Binary Editor and the Definition file for my processor so that I can do what I want to do myself. That certainly isn't for everyone. I would suggest calling the tuner you will be using and get their opinion.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
My tuner (Don Lasota @ Lasotaracing) is SCT exclusive. I chose him due to his willingness to deal with my Frankenstein and offers great customer tech support just like Alan does with transmissions and parts. The other reason I chose him is because he co-wrote the prp (pro racer package) handbook. That speaks volumes for me, but ultimately if you've got the cash a proper dyno tune is the way to go, but IMO it seems that the world is starting to accept remote tuning which is basically what Don does. Upload a tune into your xcal2 or xcal3, upload the tune from your device to your EEC/PCM, drive, datalog, email, retune, re-log, email, repeat until 100% or customer becomes 100% satisfied. I like that. My local dyno guy tried to tell me that if I wasn't satisfied with my dyno tune's driveablity on the street that I would have to pay for more dyno time and labor and down tune my car for less performance on the street. For me that's unacceptable.

Just my $0.02. Having been through the whole tuning brickabrack resently.

Out of curiosity what converter are you using? Brand, specs, approx stall range, etc.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok I will update folks to what is in my car..

03 Explorer 4.6,,, All stock

Dirtydog transmission,, Built for JamesD then I bought it still unused.. I know nothing of this tranny other then it has a deep pan and the forced fluid mod..

RevMax
converter with a 3300 stall,, I was broke at the time but seems to be working out

The tranny cooler lines bypass the radiator and go into a 45,000 BTU from robstireandauto.com ....

I went with Don Lasota @ Lasotaracing for the tune but I must have messed up the serial number as it wont load to the xcal2.. He told me he would be gone this weekend so I will have to wait for a updated tune....
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Converter Guy

That trans is built very well, It doesn't have any 300m parts but just the fact that it was built with a late model core, has added frictions and proper valvebody confiuration makes a difference. It would handle a supercharger.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I had no doubts it is a great tranny.....

I am having trouble getting use to how smoothly it shifts... I don't really feel it shift from first threw third it's so smooth...
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Converter Guy

the converter is absorbing it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Those are some amazingly cheap torque converters.... I like the idea of a 3800 stall converter but when I'm ready for a new converter I'll stick with Alan's products. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Converter Guy

That wasn't my point. High stall converters absorb the shift feel so you have to compensate. I do not know anything about revmax converters I cannot keep up with the current company building converters by taking a cavalier converter and makign it fit a 4r70w. It happens so often I lose interest in trying to figure out who is doing it this week.....
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well I just got back from the first test run after the tune..

WOW!!!!

What a difference.. The shifts are hard and the tc stays locked up like it should...

I sent a email to get some more info on what was done in the tune....
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Just got this from Don.. "Great, yes the EGR is off. No, the TC is not locked all the time. Lots was done to it..."

So there you have it lots was done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in