Any Difference? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Any Difference?

Finally going to buy a tranny tomorrow. Found one with 52k for 400 dollars out of a 02 Marq. Just wondering before i buy it what the differences are if any between the part number 1W7P-AA and 1W7P-BA and if there is a preference on what one I should go with. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb http://www.p71interceptor.com

Great Site - It ;s MUST as one of your Faves...

http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny...vic/index.html

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

WOW! Thanks a million there Buck. Golly-gee! So glad I ave YOU lookin out for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM
6th Gear Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
WOW! Thanks a million there Buck. Golly-gee! So glad I ave YOU lookin out for me.
& Looking out for you is a FULL time job around here... but as our President says "it takes a Village to..."

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Talking

If looking out for me is a full time job then what do you do for a living? Your'e not makin any money off me lol! It's ok Buck, I appreciate you putting up that website again anyway. I can take the critisism. I picked up that tranny today so let me pick your brain if you dont mind. I'm ordering a NEW TCC solenoid for the 95 Bird. Anything else you think I should pick up for it? I have to use all of my existing exterior sensors correct? Change the tailshaft drive shaft seal. More bashing is expected to come.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM
6th Gear Poster

Question Had to rattle your chain a tad just to maintain my rep.

See what the Gurus say but new as that thing is it does'nt need much IMO:

- I'd do an Air to Fluid Cooler & delete Rad Cooler of course
- New MLPS if yours has some years on it
- Did you get an 11 Inch Police TC with it or a 12 inch 2002 tc__?
- Better TC would be nice but but Geez either one is a 2002 so__?
- IF you needed a TC it would only make sense to go to a new 11 Inch, & new Flexplate of course so_____?
- Hell I changed out my O2's while I was down there because it sure would be hell with Tranny in place.
- Check out your EGR while you have Tranny off maybe __?
- Nice time to do Fuel Pump?
- Just trying to help spend your money....

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Good lookin out there Buck. I think it may be the 12 inch converter in it. Its not a HPP tranny or a police of course. I measured the converter from edge to edge and it was 12. Stud to opposite stud is 11.25. Good thought on the fuel pump. Have the EGR valve deleted because it was hitting the bottom of my cobra hood when I tried to close it. I did order the 1-3 ohm TCC solenoid last night. I had the tune made from Lonnie before this tranny swap and was wondering if I would need to have it retuned or would it be ok? Thanks Buck.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM
6th Gear Poster

Question

Get a Guru to confirm but I could swear I remember my 11 inch Stock TC & new 11 Inch DD TC being like 12 inches gross OD so ...?? - Seems like 11 Inch referred to the Guts or Rotor or something ?

This was Killer Thread on TC ID's

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132344

& I thought the BA Tranny code WAS Police but I may have misread the P71 site - The older Police Tranny's had a 12 Inch but 2002 aint old so____?

Last edited by BUCK; 07-08-2011 at 06:30 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

just t ook a few pictures of the tranny.....does anything jump out at you in these? The yellow thing by the dipstick was there when I took the pan off. I can't tell if the metal shavings on the magnet are normal or not....supposed to have 56K on it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6&l=85aaf82f31
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Its the prize in the bottom of your cerial box, they block the dipstick hole with that from the factory upon installing the dipstick tube it falls into the pan. It can be discarded

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Cool thanks. I took out the oss as well to look at the color of the gear. Couldnt see the one inside the tailshaft and the oss itself had a green gear on it. If you look right beside the tcc solenoid, a tab on the circuit board has been bent down. I found another piece of a tab inside the pan. Theres no dent on the pan at that point. Makes me think someone has been in it. Who knows. All in all it looks pretty good inside from what I can see. Is there like a spring and cylinder kit I should get for the two acumulators? I hear those like to go bad and I would like to firm up the shifts a little. Thanks guys.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up www.sonnax.com

Magnet & Pan scum look totally normal for a 56K Pan to me - Yellow thing tells us it's never been serviced but that would'nt hurt it at 56K - Much beyond that would be not so good but 56K in a MQ no prob IMO.

Still wondering what size TC you bought?

Quote:
Is there like a spring and cylinder kit I should get for the two acumulators? I hear those like to go bad and I would like to firm up the shifts a little. Thanks guys.
That thing is light years ahead of your 95 4r70W - 2002 already HAS the JMOD for all intents & purposes - & the 1-2 & 2-3 Accumulator there are NOT the problematic ones & the Main VB setup there for under 300HP is darn decent .

- But certainly improvements can be made via one of our wonderful on site Vendors via parts fm - http://www.sonnax.com/ & others

- Hell... a Delrin O Ringed 2-3 Accumulator Piston & Violet 1-2 Spring just sounds cool - I've got one~!

Last edited by BUCK; 07-09-2011 at 12:27 AM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:40 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
I had the tune made from Lonnie before this tranny swap and was wondering if I would need to have it retuned or would it be ok?
Depending on your level of jmod, he may have done changes to the tranny that might affect drivability. You might ask; make sure to tell him what level of jmod you have.

RobertP, and DirtyDog sell the jmod kits; it's a lot easier than drilling tiny holes.

A stock 02 is modded about like a mild jmod on a 96, imho, when ran with a tune.

Without a tune, there's some strangeness about going into 4th under light throttle...

A jmodded 02, with a brown spring and mild plate settings tuned properly feels like a manual you can shift with one toe, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Poster

Is this going in a 95 TBird with 95 EEC/trans wiring? If so the connector going to the sol. pack has different pinouts. This change is from the 97 to 98 4R70W model.

Inappropriate signature deleted
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Smile

So it sounds like this tranny is basically ready to go for my setup. Thanks guys. Dont plan on doing much more to the motor anyway. Just want it driveable. Work on it comences today. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I wont be bugging the crap out of you guys anymore before too long.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Here are some pictures I took of the torque converter today. It shows the colored markings....one is pink and the other one is blue"ish". I also got the studs in there as well if that helps. ANY CLUE?!?!? Oh, and this one still has the drain plug as well.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6&l=168f539149

Last edited by ROLLINTHUNDER; 07-09-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add info
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question P71 says Converters lost the drain plug in 01 - 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
Converters lost the drain plug in 01, Alan
- So this is 2002 TC ?

- There's a PN on that thing somewjere _________?

- Could be the pic but I'm not liking the finish on TC spindle - check w/Gurus.

Last edited by BUCK; 07-11-2011 at 10:17 AM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

The only numbers I could find were 80A090700 on the front and it had an A G on the back by the shaft. Since you made mention of the shaft there Buck I ran my finger nail up and down it and didnt feel any grooves at all. Its nice and smooth. SInce they lost the drain plugs in 01 I guess it could be an early 01 or a 2000? May have to send DD a message and see if he cant diagnose this thing. On the P71 chart it only mentions the HPP and the police pkg having the 11.25 converter for that year. Dont have a clue.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up P71 says they lost Plug in 2001-2002 on differing models

Well good then it's just the pic

- That looks like Ford TC PN - There's gotta be somewhere you can cross that over & see what it's from / for but it very well may be fm 2002 MQ just like you thought.

& P71 says they lost Plug in 2001-2002 on differing models.

Last edited by BUCK; 07-10-2011 at 10:16 AM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Light blue id tag 12 inch high stall crown vic/marquis unit. Same thing these cars came with stock.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up Tc Id

GREAT old Thread on TC ID's @ http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51751

Last edited by BUCK; 07-11-2011 at 12:44 AM.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

That was a great old thread there buck. So it would appear that I have the 12 in converter. Thanks Alan. I just dropped the car off at the local tranny shop because it was gonna be more than I could handle. I will be staying with a stock converter since I dont have the money for an upgraded one, unfortunatly. Any suggestions? They asked me if there were gonna be a problem with the Mark driveshaft working with the Marquis tranny. I told them it would work and that physically its a straight forward swap. Anything else I may have missed or need to consider? Thanks again guys.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question Rad Cooler ?

They are Flushing the Rad Cooler... RIGHT?

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Nothing I can think of at the moment but I have been wake about 42 hours straight. Not lasting much longer. Hope the trans shop treats you good. I get a bunch of guys bringing me cars from that distance because I do those installs for $300 and most shops want 2 or 3 times that amount. To me it is easy work. Most trans shops complicate it.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Took your advice a long time ago buck and installed an aftermarket ccoler and bypassed the rad cooler completely. I know your the man when it comes to installin one of these Alan. Wish I couldve gotten to you. This place rebuilt my old one years ago and it did alright. Theyre charging me 350-4 on this swap. Im repinning the harness myself. I think I can manage that one. I was gonna just go with a stock Mark TC if I couldnt figure out a better stock one. Get some shut-eye there Alan, the world will be here when you wake up lol.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well I have decided to go with an 03 mustang converter if it will work. Looking at DD's old thread it says they started furnace brazing them in 03 and that the mustang 11in has a more durable lock up piston.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in