You guys rock! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Thumbs up You guys rock!

Got the car back from the tranny shop yestarday. Installed the 20 tooth gear on the vss and repinned the plug myself under the car. Taped up the 2 unused power supply wires and fit them up in the wire loom and taped that up. Got it all right the first time. The car shifts GREAT! Acceleration is definatly better than that old stock tranny. Apparently lonnie's tune works with this tranny because theres no delay with the 3-4 shift. The only thing I noticed was is a vibration above 35-40mph when on the gas. Didnt do it before the swap. Driveshaft? Other than that its great. No more TC lockup issue either. My sincerist thanks and apologies goes out to all those who have helped me with this. I know I was a pain in the a$$ and I really appreciate all your advice and patience. Im glad I listened to you all in going with the 98 and later tranny. Again, thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Dumb questions but did they use mercon v? What tc are you using? Details please.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Used a 03 stang gt converter and they probly didnt use mercon v.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
That's definately no good, I know that can cause some shuttering. For a cheap fix if you confirm for 100% sure that they didn't put mercon v in it then you could add some lube guard or heartland t-3 to "correct" the fluid. If the problem temporarily goes away then you've figured it out. I'd also assume (I'm no expert) that long term shutter could damage the tc friction or worse.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

At 0 miles the old Revision Mercon alone AINT gonna cause that IMO - My first guess is that they DID use Merc V BUT they misaligned Rear Tranny Support OR rear Tranny support rubber is FUBAR - Alignment procedure is pretty invovled per Manual - Misaligning that would be a lot easier than NOT using Merc V.

2nd guess is TC locks up at 35-40 so... could very well be Spark Plugs & wires, hell we change Snorkel Gaskets, TPS & IAC's on Mk's for this... - You have a REAL Tranny now & hopefully a REAL TC lockup.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 07-18-2011 at 02:34 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
All that work and you can't confirm if it has Mercon V in it !?!

I'd have to agree with Buck. It probably has Mercon V in it but you should know for certain. Anyway, congrats. I know how great it is to get it fixed right. I couldn't believe the difference when Rob first installed the Jmod on my car.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post

2nd guess is TC locks up at 35-40 so... could very well be Spark Plugs & wires, hell we change TPS & IAC's on Mk's for this... - You have a REAL Tranny now & a REAL TC lockup.
He used an OEM converter, they are very sensitive to needing MerconV and technically speakign the lockup is weaker than his original converter was because it is smaller with the same type friction. The factory cut the lockup pistons on a taper whcih plays a huge role in these problems as well. Hopefully with a few more miles on it it will break in. Knowing the converter he is suing I am concerned if it was not built with an already glazed clutch assembly. I do suggest checking the plugs and wires as mentioned hopefully that takes care of it, but it doesn't sound liek it is too bad at this point it will either get better or worse.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well I did the 180 degree turn on the driveshaft and it did seem to take care of it (luckily). However, it seems after driving it most of the day today the lock-up issue is still somewhat there. It seems like it would be next to impossible to have the same issue with a new converter and tranny if it was in fact the tranny. Its not bad at all and it doesnt do it all the time. Its like the idle drops every once in a while when off the gas. Im starting to wonder if its the tune. Its definatly driveable however. If that little hickup is all its going to have then im not concerned with it. Will check with the tranny shop tomorrow to see what they put in it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

They did in fact use mercon v. They went into explanation of how sensitive these torque converters are and that it needed it. Dont I know! Would it still be worth it to put that lubegard in it? Who sells it? Car still doing good for the most part. Love the firmness of the shifts. The old tranny didnt have any firmness to it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
No, don't waste your money on lubegard. If it's got fresh Mercon V in it you're fine.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in