trans oil leaking from where? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

trans oil leaking from where?

Ive had a trans oil leak fro a while and its just been drops nothing really bad. But this shop that replaced my crank position sensor said it was because my oil pan gasket was leaking, can that be possible? I haven't taken an engine apart from a trans to know for myself. The oil pan gasket in my car does have a slight leak nothing bad its been that way since I bought it. Its less than drops but it does seep out. Maybe the shop got confused.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
They are.
They are confused you mean? I wouldn't doubt it. I hate to say it but they did do a good job on replacing my crank position sensor and recharging my AC but I wish I didnt have to take it there, and get raeped over a sensor. I learned my lesson in the past to only to to a shop as a last possible resort. THis was one of those cases.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Most liekly leak points cooler lines and dip stick., did we do a rear lube mod on it you may need to snug those, just a thought.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The dipstick is definitely a big one, it gives the same symptoms as a pan leak in that it will make the area at the pan flange and bolts coated with ATF.

-Matt
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

No its not the dipstick and yes it has the rear tail shaft lube mod. Its dripped from only one place the center on the bottom of the bellhousing. Pending anything stupid happening this is getting fixed when the engine gets swapped so no more dam leaks. I have another question, I plan to drop the pan to swap a solenoid that malfunctioned, how much oil usually comes out, its a 96-97 style. Also the motor craft trans oil is the most expensive oil around can I drive it for a while mixing something else semi synthetic? Even mobil 1 is cheaper than the motor craft stuff. I plan to do a trans flush after the engine swap though.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM
It is nice

like 3-4 qts or so seems like could be more though never measured

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:42 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
... how much oil usually comes out, its a 96-97 style...
The pan usually has about 4 quarts in it,but it seems like I have overflowed my 5 qt oil change pan before; its right about there somewhere.

I have a 3' x 4' pan that's ~2" deep that I set my drain pan in when I start dropping the pan...

A "mercon shower" sux; If you get it in your eyes it hurts like hell. Wear safety glasses! It burns my skin, so I wear textured nitrile gloves.

The TC usually has about the same, iirc.

If you pull the VB off, there's ~3-4 quarts there.

The most I've ever put in was just over 12 quarts; but I have one mostly empty in my garage waiting to be put in that will take a bunch, I bet.

I've been using Castrol mercon V; it's expensive, but it works well.

When my tranny was leaking badly from the driveshaft taking out the tailshft bushings, I used mercon III to try keep it full. It's a lot less expensive, but prone to shudder. That may have helped end it's life, but I doubt it.

From personal experience, It will kill it driving with it low; so try to keep it very close to full. I'd fix it asap; I know how hard that can be, tho.

Good luck with it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I still think it sounds like the dipstick is leaking, could be the linkage seal maybe. Pan leaks are unlikely but do happen from time to time.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:05 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
They are confused you mean? I wouldn't doubt it.
Most are confused by dollar signs in their eyes when they see they can make $500 for an hours work.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I wish I were closer; I've done a bunch to these trannys...

Remember, over-tightening the pan bolts will make them leak worse.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I wish I were closer; I've done a bunch to these trannys...

Remember, over-tightening the pan bolts will make them leak worse.
I check the level regularly it hardly goes down. Its like I add less than a qt every 3 months or so. I have a service manual as long as its good directions in there Im good. I was told the gasket is reusable but what the hell Ill change the filter while Im in there. Would RTV help make my first pan drop idiot proof or should I just use the tq wrench and be done with it? I have watched trans services done at a private quick oil change place many times, I just never did it personally, they went wild with permatex clear silicone all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in