Shift questions from a GM guy - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Shift questions from a GM guy

Hey all-

New here, diehard chevy guy. Always had a thing for 'birds, ever since my neighbor had one when I was a kid.

Picked up a '94 4.6 fairly clean for a midwest car but with lots of documentation. Window sticker and all. Moonroof, SATC, the works.

Here's the situation: the thing shifts... well weird. The 1-2 upshift is neck snapping, the 2-3 upshift is junk cold and worse hot, very "loose" and slow, unless I'm at WOT then it seems OK. The 3-4 upshift is decent, fairly positive, but I do get shudder if I'm too hard on the throttle during the shift. The shudder only seems to happen cold. TC lockup is fine.

On the other hand, the 4-3 downshift is pretty noticeable, not harsh but you don't miss it. Happens around 33 MPH on the dot. All other downshifts are fine, 3-2 and 2-1.

From what I've read, it sounds like possibly one or more broken accumulator springs? I'd guess probably both the 1-2 and 2-3 springs? As I said, I'm a GM guy and I'm much more used to the issues with their trannys not fords.

Sorry for the long winded first post. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I'd say yes to busted springs on that. I'd recommend the J-mod. While some say not to waste the money on a 94 (or 95) trans, I feel it will help you get the most out of the miles the transmission has left in it and is the best thing you can do aside from swapping it out to a newer model unit.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html

Read through the first three articles, that should get you up to speed.

Nominally the shifts on these are supposed to be very smooth, barely noticeable. The 3-4 downshift will have a bit of a sag to it. Installing the J-mod will help reduce the sag and reduce clutch wear, and you can also firm up the shifts if you like.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Kind of what I was thinking.

Unfortunately I don't see myself keeping this car very long, it's a great ride but it just needs too much and I don't have the time to fix it. Exhaust, strut rod bushings extinct, and an exploded heater core are the main killers, plus 21 MPG isn't helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec_b View Post
Kind of what I was thinking.

Unfortunately I don't see myself keeping this car very long, it's a great ride but it just needs too much and I don't have the time to fix it. Exhaust, strut rod bushings extinct, and an exploded heater core are the main killers, plus 21 MPG isn't helping.
The only killer is the exploded heater core.

The BUSHINGS are not extinct, the FERRULES are. If your ferrules are in good shape, you can replace the bushings.

Let's just say it's easier to do those, than the trailing arms on my 2000 Malibu. A lot cheaper, too.

Exhaust is fairly easy with money and time. And my pricing so far on buy-it-and-put-it-on-myself (using Walker parts for both!) put the Cougar at the same price as my 2000 Malibu (!!!!) with the 3.1L V6.

The HEATER CORE, OTOH - seems like Ford managed to suspend the heater and evaporator cores in mid air and build the car around them. 'Course, the heater core on the Malibu is the same way ...

Plus, you can actually CHECK tranny fluid levels on the MN12s. I point again to my 2000 Malibu ... which has a sight plug in the side of the tranny, and needs to be on level ground at operating temp to check.

Just a little devil's advocate here.

Oh, and the ride. The RIDE. The 'Bu rides good, no question about that. It's nowhere near in the same class as the Cougar, though. That long wheel base helps. Enough that I'll pay the 2MPG penalty to drive the Cougar for my DD.

RwP
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
The only killer is the exploded heater core.

The HEATER CORE, OTOH - seems like Ford managed to suspend the heater and evaporator cores in mid air and build the car around them. 'Course, the heater core on the Malibu is the same way ...

RwP
Well.... not wrong! Probably the second thing installed on a body going down the line. And the first is just a mat.

How would you do it?

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

94-95 Tranny

Yes, those problems you are having most likely are caused by bad fluid and broken springs. I own a 95 'Bird, and it shifted crappy when I got it. New Merc V and a J-Mod, and this thing shifts great - neck snapping if you want it, and just firm with "normal" driving. Anybody who knows me personally knows I'm not easy on it, either.

Good luck and welcome!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
Well.... not wrong! Probably the second thing installed on a body going down the line. And the first is just a mat.

How would you do it?
Dunno. I just wish that a corrosive element (the heater core) wasn't so dang hard to replace.

Could be worse - new cars seem to require major front end disassembly (bumper and more!) to change the head lights and turn signals (!!!!!)

I really have to ask, "What the FREAK are you guys smoking / drinking /eating????"

RwP
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I know none of the things that are wrong with it are that big of a deal, I am a mechanic by trade so there really isn't anything I CAN'T do, I just don't want to on a car I don't see myself keeping for more than a month or two.

And after just finishing a motor swap on an aviator (body removal and all) I don't have much ambition to dink with my own car at the moment.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by alec_b View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I know none of the things that are wrong with it are that big of a deal, I am a mechanic by trade so there really isn't anything I CAN'T do, I just don't want to on a car I don't see myself keeping for more than a month or two.

And after just finishing a motor swap on an aviator (body removal and all) I don't have much ambition to dink with my own car at the moment.
Not to be a debbie downer, but if you didn't plan on doing anything about the issues you listed...why would you even ask about them in the first place? Kind of counter-productive if you ask me.

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Well, the only thing I was really concerned with was the trans. The rest of the stuff I could care less, because it doesn't keep the thing from getting me to work. I just wanted to be sure that the trans issue wasn't going to leave me high and dry. If I can keep driving it like this I'll just baby it and not worry about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in