New info on old problem. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

New info on old problem.

As most of you guys know mt TCC lockup is an old and to most, including myself, an annoying issue. I just drive the car like it is and if I figure it out I figure it out, if I dont I dont. Took it to a tech I know yestarday for him to do a run scan on it. However, my OBD port would not let him establish a link. While driving it he had me turn overdrive off and it was still doing it. He said turning the OD off is suppose to disable the lockup but it still locks up. Then while sitting in park the darn thing locks up and kills the motor! I didnt notice those two things before last time I talked to you guys. Another thing he brought up was the ground straps and if I had one on the tranny. I dont think the guy who installed this put one on either the tranny or the motor. Said that could be the problem and the reason he couldnt establish a link. Putting those on today. Here's hoping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Turning od off does not disable lockup. The transmission does not have a ground strap either.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
Turning od off does not disable lockup. The transmission does not have a ground strap either.
Alan
What he said the best and only ground strap the trans has is the block
its bolted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Any idea what would cause it to lockup sittin there at idle?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
sticky TCC solenoid or valve?

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Converter Guy

Nope, this transmission cvan not lockup in first gear. Either the engine is just stalling or the converter is coming apart inside. I think I have mentioned it before but I can come get this thing and fix it for you, you are about 1.5 hours from me roughly.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Took it to the trans shop today for a run scan. His actually worked. Anyway, he said he believes that everything is right and working inside the trans as far as wiring. The TC is doing exactly what the PCM is telling it to do. I think he read a couple of times showing 100% lockup in 3rd and 4th gear. He said it's just not releasing lockup and that I need to focus on whatever is associated with sending the signal to tell the TCC solenoid to release. I've already put a new TPS sensor on it. It doesnt release when I apply the brake either. Said I need to find a schematic and start there. So thats what I've found so far. Great, more electronic issues! Any clues as to where to start?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Converter Guy

What PCM code do you have? There were some bad ones.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

It has the A5W0 in right now. I tried changing the PCM a little while back and it was doing the same thing.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Converter Guy

I know that one is a good one.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Youre probly the guy for this question for sure DD. I've been reading of guys putting in a switch to bypass the PCM and control the lockup manually. I was thinking of this option as well if I cant find the root of the problem. Some say it causes excessive heat runnin around with it unlocked. Of course I have the better GM tranny and a tranny cooler on it to help out. I do 95% around town driving and some say you would only need to lock up the TC on the highway. Does that sound accurate?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Converter Guy

On mine lockup works all the time. Manual lockup is touchy but possible. All you have to do is ground the tcc wire.
Did you use the 95 lockup solenoid when you changed the transmission?
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
All you have to do is ground the tcc wire.
Did you use the 95 lockup solenoid when you changed the transmission?
Alan
The wire grounding out seems like a likely cause for an intermittent thing like this; and things never seem to get tied back down like they were originally, after something's been out.

Check to see if the harness is hitting an edge or a pipe and shorting out.

Hooking a lamp to the wire and taking a drive is a great way to check it.

The solenoid swap is a good question; this kills the eec, as the later ones are low impedance. Swapping the eec wouldn't fix it, it would kill the new eec.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Converter Guy

I learned if you put an LED in the circuit it will light the lamp however lockup will not work.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I did use the 95 TCC yes. I ordered a new one when I put this tranny in. Had to cut the top of the connector off of the TCC solenoid so the cicuit board connector would go down on the prongs but all went together well. I will check for grounding out before I decide on the bypass switch definatly. I bought a 3 prong toggle switch today so do I put a 12v source on one prong, ground on one and the wire going to the TCC wire on the other? Probly should put a fuse in there somewhere huh? Wiring is definatly not my strong point. Reading your post there DD when you said your lockup works all the time, it doesnt actually engage until after it comes out of 1st gear? How bout when it downshifts into 1st, does it automatically unlock? What are the side affects of runnin it constantly locked or unlocked besides mpg?

Last edited by ROLLINTHUNDER; 10-16-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Adding
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Converter Guy

The solenoid is hot all the time the pcm controls ground. If you want to send power anywhere send it to the pcm to shut off the check engine light when you engage the tcc manually.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Found out somthing by accident today. When I was at the salvage yard looking at TCC solenoids, all the ones I was finding were white connectors. Those are the 10-13 ohm ones right? Mine was built Jan of 95. I was always under the impression that I need one with a black connector for the 1-3 ohms but could never find one. The new one I ordered is suppose to be a 1-3 but its a white connector. While at work today(Advance auto) I looked up a TCC solenoid for a 95 and got a borg warner brand part# of S9840 and its the same for all past 95. I looked one up for a 94 and it was part# of S9829! The picture also showed it to be a black connector! I know 95 was kinda a cross over year. Would a 10-13 ohm TCC solenoid be causing these same symptoms? I dont know wether or not it may have damaged the ecu so i was going to get ahold of another one and maybe order this 94 TCC solenoid and see what happens. Any opinions or education?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Converter Guy

That would explain it. Technically the book shows the new solenoid starting in 95, but the 95's used the 93-94 solenoid by the book. It seems only the ford dealer gets it right. I always OHM check them because improperly boxed parts happens often.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

It does seem logical doesnt it. I can not find any wires touching anywhere and from an auto parts stand point I know the books are always right before the computers. That means everytime I got a new solenoid for a 95 I was getting a 10-13 ohm solenoid! Its the only thing it can be. Thanks for your info DD. Youre definatly one of the most patient people Ive met lol! Ill let you know what comes of it.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
You should be able to measure it from the harness, and not have to drop the pan unnecessarily.

Although, it sounds like you have to...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I went and picked up two A5W0 PCM's today. Got one from which is dated 6/95 and the other is 8/94. Thought of using the 8/94 one just to make sure im using the 1-3 ohms. Were the 4.6 94 birds OBD2 as well? Ordering the 94 TCC solenoid tomorrow and plan on getting them both in there this friday.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well the 94 ECU swap and the new 94 TCC solenoid didn't work. Was thinkin of just leaving the darn thing unlocked. I know the tranny will run hotter but what about power loss and how bad does it hurt the gas mileage. I was just going to pull the pin from the connector. Seems like though, it was still doing it when I found the TCC solenoid itself unplugged a while back. Just gonna drive it like it is either way.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Converter Guy

If the problem is an input causing it then you shoudl be getting a code. Like before I think the problem is the converter itself. I know you are doing your best to avoid paying someone who knows what they are doing to fix it and I fully understand that. Money is hard to come by.It appears you don't have much choice if you want to drive the car.

A stock replacement converter is $100 plus core. Most people decide to go to a better unit at the time but either way I think that is what it has come down to.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

You hit the nail on the head there Alan, money. If I were still working at my last job bringing home 500+ a week it wouldnt be a problem. This job here pays crap! The only way I was able to do it this last time was because I sold my other car for 1700. Starting to wonder if I want to keep putting money into this tranny problem or start saving and studying that TR3650 swap.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

So, is there anything else that controls the lockup? I ask because I pulled the wire going into the main plug and it was STILL locking up. MLPS? The brake switch only unlocks it when you tap on it. It would have to be somthing outside the trans. These TC's dont manually lock do they? I guess I'll put the wire back in and ground it to keep the TC locked all the time and see what happens.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Just a little update for you guys that deserve it. Had a local shop look at it who are pretty good at what they do. They found nothing wrong with the trans at all. Everything is working as it should. What they found was besides a bad bank 1 sensor 2 was that the same bank the LTFT was running over 40% rich. Thats what they say is causing the bucking and jerking when I let off the throttle is all the raw fuel being dumped in. My tips are black too. I was able to do a little datalogging and saw the TC lockup being at 0.0 at about 25mph and it did its little buck and jerk. So that rules out the TC huh? I havnt heard back from lonnie for a possible adjustment to the tune so I plan on having a dyno tune done locally after the first of the year and just do away with his. Thanks for all your help and I apologize for the incovenience.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Converter Guy

I won't see anything ruled out until it is fixed, Electronics are good at hiding mechanical failure.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in