99 Mustang 4R70W shift issue - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Splintor13 Send a message via Yahoo to Splintor13
99 Mustang 4R70W shift issue

Background: I have a '95 TBird. It was a 4.6LX. I replaced it with an '03 Explorer 4.6, replaced the induction with '96 TBird rails and TB. Transmission is from a '99 Mustang GT. I did the repin of the bulkhead connector. Also new MLPS. After initial startup had some sensor issues and normal gremlins. Once all worked out turned car off and refused to restart. Could start by jumpering battery to starter hot, but transmission now was stuck in limp home mode. (2nd only) Turns out starting issue was bad ignition switch. Now starts fine.

Parts replaced in attempt to fix: MLPS x2, TPS, Speed Sensor and gear, Tranny Bulkhead Connector and hard wire inside tranny. (and of course the ignition switch for the starting issue)

Current issues: CE light on, only code is for EGR (since I didn't put back the after CAT O2 sensors) Go and clear the code, drove car with same result, after a start and restart tranny shifted perfect. Stopped and put car in park (engine on), shifted back into D and back in limp home. Cleared code this morning, no CE light, drove 20+ miles, perfect shifting, 90+ on the highway and tons of stop and go, stopped at store, came back out, restarted, CE is back and no shifting.

ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1995 Thunderbird
NOW: Eibachs, 3.27 TracLoc, 2003 Taurus 5 spokes, '04 Explorer Aluminum 4.6, '03 Mustang Transmission, MkVIII Drive Shaft, Fiberglass Hood

SOON: Shiny new black paint and then interior

2010 Focus SE Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 PM
PostWhore

Throttle body position sensor is bad? Or, after the shifter locks in D, pull it back just a tad more and it will probably shift then... If that's the case, ull have to re-adjust the nss..

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have replaced TPS. At tranny shop on there tester it showed it was getting voltage even when no throttle applied. Hmm.

But I was able to reproduce symptoms while in D going down the road if I pull back on shifter there is some slop, and the car will stop shifting. If I then push forward on the shifter and wiggle from side to side it will begin shifting normally again. I took the shifter apart this morning and there seems to be play in it when in D. Going to go to junk yard later and take apart another one for comparison.

Thanks for the reply :-)

Still rattle chasing

1995 Thunderbird
NOW: Eibachs, 3.27 TracLoc, 2003 Taurus 5 spokes, '04 Explorer Aluminum 4.6, '03 Mustang Transmission, MkVIII Drive Shaft, Fiberglass Hood

2010 Focus SE Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:38 PM
6th Gear Poster

Question

I say MLPS is not correctly aligned / installed - I use my Headband mounted LED & a GOOD mirror - These Shift Cables have been known to break interrnally also - & Did'nt you have to backfit old style TCC into 99 Tranny to mate with your old ECM ?... did'nt see that on your very detailed OP.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 10-25-2011 at 01:46 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Went to junkyard and found '94 Cougar. Shifter was very tight (unlike mine). Took whole shifter unit out to replace. Yes Buck, MLPS is bang on the mark. I have 3 of them I have tried in chasing this, the original, brand new Motorcraft, and a junkyard one. May not have time to get it in and test tonight, but think it may solve the movement issue.

Also yes, I repinned the bulkhead connector to the tranny to match EEC with the new sensors.

1995 Thunderbird

2010 Focus SE Coupe
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

& Attaching Cable correctly affects MLPS position too - I did some tweaks to Shifter Cable Bracket at Tranny so Bracket is now out the way (barely) when dropping Pan for maintenance... Also Bracket is slighly angled now so Cable is aligned best at middle position of the "Arch" it makes thru it's travel.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good news! I got the shifter in and after having to readjust the MLPS and re attaching the cable on the bottom of the shifter that came loose while installing :-( I got it on the road and all seems good!

Thanx guys for all your input! Hope this helps someone else with an issue like this. Guess I should not push on shifter as I have had this car since 96 and 230,000 of the 250,000 miles are mine, I can only blame me.

Keep these 'Birds runnin'

1995 Thunderbird

2010 Focus SE Coupe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in