weird 3-4-3-4 downshift-upshift for no reason? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

weird 3-4-3-4 downshift-upshift for no reason?

My car did this a month ago or so when I was driving

Would go from 4-3 back to 4- 3 over and over for no reason.

I could manually hit the od off button and then put it back on into 4th and stop it usually.

I changed the fluid and put a bigger trans cooler in it and contributed it to the fluid getting too hot cause it went away for a few months.

I was driving the car today and it started doing it again.

it would also downshift into 3rd gear at like 50 mph and hold 3rd gear.

its almost like im having some sort of electrical problem where my od off button is getting pressed on and off

Any one have any ideas?

The transmission is perfect otherwise and is a completely built 4r70w, custom vb, custom built 3800 stall with less than 20k miles on it.

Ive never had any problems other than this hiccup that came back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

I say MLPS is bad or not correctly aligned / installed - I use my Headband mounted LED & a GOOD mirror - Second I'd look at TCC & Temp Sensor.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I had this issue with my 94 tbird.. It would down**** on the highway at like 70 for no reason. I did a bunch of troubleshooting and never found a fix.. I just delt with it untill the car rusted out and died.. lol I junked it..

I drove it for like 70,xxx like that. started at like 95k and i junked it at 165k

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L - Junked
1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L - SOLD
1999 Merc Grand Marquis - DD
2003 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L - Chicks Tank
2000 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L - Racecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
I say MLPS is bad or not correctly aligned / installed - I use my Headband mounted LED & a GOOD mirror - Second I'd look at TCC & Temp Sensor.

Yea, that was my first thought.

But when it went away with the fluid chance and new cooler I just forgot about it and figured that was the problem.

Guess I could always swap it out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thumbs up MLP Sensor a.k.a Neutral Safety Switch
A while back I first had an issue that when driving on the highway the car would act like it downshifted, except it was on cruise control so it would maintain the same speed but at a much higher rev. I thought I would be looking at a new TQ Converter since I also had Shudder Issues. I put in a tranny cooler and flushed it with Mercon V and that worked great for a bit but the highway issue was still occurring. Finally I read some recommendations on the MLP Sensor which all parts places, even the Dealership, refer to as the Neutral Safety Switch.

I saw some people mention that it is a quick and easy replacement, that I have to disagree with. Unless you have tiny hands or maybe have aftermarket exhaust and the mid pipe sits a little lower than the factory pipe. I was not able to fit an 8mm socket and did not have a ratcheting 8mm wrench so I had to remove it and install it by hand which took a while. Not to mention popping off the sensor which require a careful maneuver of one finger and a flat head screwdriver because thats about all I could fit to pop it off. Once you get it off though putting it back on is easy. I would have taken pics but I forgot my digital camera, if you have the Chiltons Guide for our cars it's listed under Neutral Safety Switch.

I put the new one on that I got from advanced auto for about $30 or so and the first time the car did not start I went under the car and found that the two notches that need to be aligned had shifted when I installed it. Once that got fixed the car started and just completed a two hour road trip without any issues. If anyone has issues with the car popping out of overdrive on the highway give this a try.

I was worried I would not be able to find it but if you lay on your back behind the front left wheel it's mounted on the tranny a little hidden at first behind by the exhaust pipe but it's there.

found this, looks like it may just be it.

Im gonna pick one up and give it a try
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

& Don't forget the PITA & way too easy to break MLPS Connector ~!

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 01:08 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to kraken2026 Send a message via Yahoo to kraken2026
Has anyone had a issue with the connector having to be repined or replaced? I just bought a borg warner unit for my 94 4.6 bird and the connector is different and it comes with one you have to apparently splice into the old harness. Looks like the oval ones on the later model MLPS. Which is kinda ironic as I have a later model MLPS sensor laying around but couldn't use it due to the connector being different.

-94 T-bird 4.6L SOHC "Driver"
Full Pioneer sound system, 3rd muffler delete, PBR front Calipers, Rear disc conversion, Strut Tower Brace, Marauder Torque converter, True CAI & Silencer removal w K&N.
Planned upgrades: SC trac-loc pumpkin, Magnaflow SS mufflers & SS resonator tips, SC ground effects.

-93 Eddie Bauer Bronco
5.0L, E4OD, FatBob 2" Suspension lift, K&N CA, 2-1/2" flowmaster exhaust, sixliter ignition, 96 EB interior, Alcoa rims with 33's.

-92 Firebird 5.0 TBI, 4L60 "Project"
Accel / Holly Annihilator ignition, Dynomax cat back, adj. panhard Bar & T/A Sways, Formula 17x8 Rims, LT1 4L60 conversion, rear disc w posi conversion.

What can I say, birds of a feather flock together
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2026 View Post
Has anyone had a issue with the connector having to be repined or replaced? I just bought a borg warner unit for my 94 4.6 bird and the connector is different and it comes with one you have to apparently splice into the old harness. Looks like the oval ones on the later model MLPS. Which is kinda ironic as I have a later model MLPS sensor laying around but couldn't use it due to the connector being different.
yes, from what I recall that's the deluxe kit. I've personally never had to use it, but I've heard that they are the new standard kit.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 03:55 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to kraken2026 Send a message via Yahoo to kraken2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
yes, from what I recall that's the deluxe kit. I've personally never had to use it, but I've heard that they are the new standard kit.
Yea its the only ones I've seen available from any of the major manufactures. I picked mine up for 60 and as much of a PITFA as repining or soldering would be playing ford 150 plus for the same thing with a 1 year warranty (vs the BW lifetime) doesn't sit to well with me.
Guess I'll just have to suffer it out and make sure I solder and insulate the splices really well.

-94 T-bird 4.6L SOHC "Driver"
Full Pioneer sound system, 3rd muffler delete, PBR front Calipers, Rear disc conversion, Strut Tower Brace, Marauder Torque converter, True CAI & Silencer removal w K&N.
Planned upgrades: SC trac-loc pumpkin, Magnaflow SS mufflers & SS resonator tips, SC ground effects.

-93 Eddie Bauer Bronco
5.0L, E4OD, FatBob 2" Suspension lift, K&N CA, 2-1/2" flowmaster exhaust, sixliter ignition, 96 EB interior, Alcoa rims with 33's.

-92 Firebird 5.0 TBI, 4L60 "Project"
Accel / Holly Annihilator ignition, Dynomax cat back, adj. panhard Bar & T/A Sways, Formula 17x8 Rims, LT1 4L60 conversion, rear disc w posi conversion.

What can I say, birds of a feather flock together

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in