The end of my trans leaks has arrived - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The end of my trans leaks has arrived

Thank you Alan from Dirty Dog! No more heat issues, no more leaks. Now I just need to replace the transmission one more time and I have a line on a 2004 4R70W local here in Utah.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Looks good it looks a little different with the bent aluminum but I guess thats to compensate for the v6 differences. Youll be really happy when this goes on. I was impressed with how well it didnt leak I wasnt really fighting any leaking once installed. If anything you want to go easy on those ends to the flex lines and if they start to leak upon start up go back and tighten only as needed. So yes its a fantastic way to ditch the stock cooler and lines at once.

I really should have said more about this when it was installed. The best part is how the cooler itself can be installed and perma-mounted neatly using OEM holes using those little bars of aluminum stock in the plastic bag shown. I want to put a fan on my set up one day but that means relocating the PS cooler and what a domino effect of work that is.

I take it you wont be using the rubber hose included with the cooler Kelly LOL It might be good for something else though so hold on it.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Nice to see a v6 stepping up to the big cooler. I have that same cooler on my 97. Those lines are nice, what's Alan charging for those these days?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Yes Tim the V6 path is a little different than the V8, not by much though.

Chris, My goal is to get a good working 4R70W in there that is going to last indefinitely. This V6 Bird has been my daily driver for 14 years now and I've put over 220K miles on it myself. It's become part of me. Since heat is the number one killer of these transmissions I decided to go with lots of overkill I would recommend that everyone get a set of these lines, you can't buy them anywhere else besides from Alan and if you have a problem with any of the fittings at the radiator you may end up with a hack job like they did on my car with rubber tubing and hose clamps where you're not supposed to use rubber.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Yes Tim the V6 path is a little different than the V8, not by much though.

Chris, My goal is to get a good working 4R70W in there that is going to last indefinitely. This V6 Bird has been my daily driver for 14 years now and I've put over 220K miles on it myself. It's become part of me. Since heat is the number one killer of these transmissions I decided to go with lots of overkill I would recommend that everyone get a set of these lines, you can't buy them anywhere else besides from Alan and if you have a problem with any of the fittings at the radiator you may end up with a hack job like they did on my car with rubber tubing and hose clamps where you're not supposed to use rubber.
I definitely feel you on the heat being killer, and on overkill. I'm working on a wiring harness currently to mount one of my spare SPAL fans with a custom shroud to my transmission cooler for the summer. I'm also working on a separate wiring harness, shroud, and brackets for mounting another SPAL fan and oil cooler in the factory battery area. My major constraint is time. I may also upgrade to a larger power steering cooler. Honestly Las Vegas heat really takes it's toll on car's unless you take care of them. Thanks for the info via PM also.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
I definitely feel you on the heat being killer, and on overkill. I'm working on a wiring harness currently to mount one of my spare SPAL fans with a custom shroud to my transmission cooler for the summer. I'm also working on a separate wiring harness, shroud, and brackets for mounting another SPAL fan and oil cooler in the factory battery area. My major constraint is time. I may also upgrade to a larger power steering cooler. Honestly Las Vegas heat really takes it's toll on car's unless you take care of them. Thanks for the info via PM also.
Oil cooler? Damn. AZ heat is no joke either. I have a factory mopar trans cooler to be used as a PS cooler. Its a compact stack plate design only a little bigger than the stock cooler but should cool many times better. Very cheap from a junkyard and should be more than enough since it was used on a truck transmission.

What size fan are you looking to put on the trans cooler, Im guessing you have the same one tru cool long style. If you get around to doing this stuff make sure to post it up Im interested to see how you fit it all.

Never considered an oil cooler mostly because I didnt think Id need one. But it would help no doubt about it.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in