SERIOUS transmission issues! HELP!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

SERIOUS transmission issues! HELP!!

ok so this literally just happened about 20 minutes ago and i have never experienced anything like it in my life so i thought i would try and pick you guys' brains (although im about 90% sure the tranny is toast) first off its the 4r70w and i first noticed it when i made a right turn from a stop it acted like it didnt want to shift to 2nd then when it did there was a grinding from somewhere in the middle of the car and banging from the back, then it shifted and was fine for about 50 feet when i went to slow down at the whole thing started again, this time if i tried to give it anything above about an 1/8 throttle it would slip into neutral and just rev... i limped it back home at 15mph but that was freaking weird, how can so many things go wrong at once, and all of the sudden?!?!? prior to this it was working perfectly fine... im so confused. i dont know if this will help but the car is a 96 and just rolled over on 130k miles and when we bought the car it had 65k on it, at around 70k we had TC shudder amugst other things and had those taken care of (a TC clutch and something else had to be replaced) but these symptoms are not anything like the stuff we dealt with before this is a whole new animal! please assist!

thanks in advance!
Derek Eastes

Laser Red '96 LX: Bilstein Suspension, SC Coils, FRPP 70mm TB + Spacer, CAI, SHO "Slicer" Rims wrapped in 235-series Sumitomo HTR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Bird View Post
how can so many things go wrong at once, and all of the sudden?!?!?
You haven't owned it very long... have you. LOL

Sorry, I'm sure Alan or someone else can tell you what happened but it sounds just like what my Bird did when the trans died the first time at about 140k miles. You can read up on these transmissions here, they were engineered to die young but there are things you can do to prevent that.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
First things first... what's the fluid like? Filled to the proper level? Color, smell, appearance?

If the fluid looks okay then I'd put money on your roller clutch being shot. Solutions are a rebuild, upgrade to a trans with the mechanical diode (98+), better valve body (99+), and hardened internals (03+).

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

You need to get a hold of Alan (dirtydog) He's in here all the time. You're not all that far away from his shop. He can fix you pretty quick.

Does NOT play well with others

I might be fat, but your ugly and I can go on a diet
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
You need to get a hold of Alan (dirtydog) He's in here all the time. You're not all that far away from his shop. He can fix you pretty quick.
x2

If you're close to Alan call him. He is the Thunderbird transmission guru.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

well i thought i knew a good amount about these things since i have had this car for about 6 years now but this was just a strange situation and the fluid is perfect... its full... its red... and its not got debris in it so the fluid is good... so i guess i better start pricing a tranny then yikes

Laser Red '96 LX: Bilstein Suspension, SC Coils, FRPP 70mm TB + Spacer, CAI, SHO "Slicer" Rims wrapped in 235-series Sumitomo HTR's
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Your best bet is to source a 2003+ non Town Car or Police 4R70W with < 100k for Alan to rebuild and beef up for you. This way, you'll have a transmission capable of 400+ RWHP and 6500+ RPM that won't grenade in daily driver use and will be ready for whatever you throw at it if ever you start adding power.

That's a best-case option. The "worst" thing you could do would be to simply rebuild your stock unit (worst only in terms of long term longevity, best in terms of cost).

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys for the input! i have already been in touch with alan so ill see if i cant get something on the books. thanks again guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in