Case to center support spring digging into case? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Case to center support spring digging into case?

Hi, I have a 1997 Mercury Cougar and during main dissassembly of the 4R70W, I noticed the end of the case to center support spring was digging into the side of the case, i'm assuming this is normal?

A little history, I've had the vehicle since it was new and changed the atf every 30k, then the pan started leaking. Stopped driving it until someone wanted to borrow it, get it back slipping in 1st. 2nd and reverse works to my knowledge as I did not drive the car over 20mph after the slippage.

Bought a kit from ATP at NAPA and new torque converter, using the service manual as a guide. This weekend i'll be disassembling the sub-assemblies to get to the bottom of this.

Do I reuse the reverse and overdrive bands? How do I tell if they need to be replaced?

You don't have to know everything, if you know where to find it.
When you do ask questions, you may look ignorant.
When you do NOT ask questions, you will STAY ignorant.
1997 Mercury Cougar XR7; 4.6L, 4R70W
1997 Cougar XR7 4.6L "bone stock"

Last edited by bluecar5556; 03-12-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Seems like I recall same ding on my one Owner 96 4r70w 130Kmile Overhaul - In the end I spent about $2K on parts replacing all needed - Your 97 would need same... Good luck & great thread here fm the day...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51637

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Poster

I just bought a inerceptor trans a changed the shift linkage worked fine

Crystal White 1997 Ford Thunder Bird last month of production
already done
Stock 4.6 vin w, magnaflow cats,Custom cat back 3in to 2.5in with flow master mufflers, Custom ram air intake, Shift kit, Hypertech power programer,Ford windstar 16in wheels,Full audio preimier head unit preimier rear speakers rockford front speakers rockford 1800w amp dual subs pioneer 400w 4channel amp
In progress
New quarter and rockers,Perfomance fuel delivery
Got a block new eagle rods in it with forged pistons soon to get trick flow head kit and victor jr billit intake, bbs 75mm throttle body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
All those style springs dig into the case it doesn't hurt anything, in the later years they redesigned the spring to one that doesn't. The overhaul kit you got is not a master rebuild kit because nobody offers one. You need to order the rest of the parts individually. The overdrive band is probably the worst friction in the transmission, the reverse bands do get reused. Look at the kit I assemble on my website. That is a pretty common parts list, but technically much more than a simple rebuild kit.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I think my 00 Mustang trans uses that spring since I recall some gouging, my 94 definitely did. Didn't think much of it though since I assumed it was normal and that it likely wouldn't be able to gouge a critical surface.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in