Trans issue? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Trans issue?

It's a 96 t-bird V8 with 146,000 miles.

I was driving from Milwaukee to St Paul yesterday. 330 lime trip, all highway, no problems what so ever. 5 miles from my house, I have the cruise set at 60, then all of a sudden the revs start creeping up and the spedo starts to drop. I shift out of OD into third. No problems there. I tried 4th again, same problem. It won't accelerate in 4th, it barely holds on to the speed, almost like being in neutral. Got home the rest of the way in first, second and third with no problems.

I drive the car today. Everything is fine. There is no hand up when shifting from 3 to 4. It is actually a fairly quick shift. Torque converter locks up fine in 4th.

Any ideas?
(I spent most of the morning searching the forums, and most of what I found was the 3-4 shift, not so much the slipping problem described above)

2nd part:

I have a 98 Mark 8 with 46,000 miles that is sitting in the garage for various reasons. Would it be worth swapping that tranny into my t-bird? Just wondering if I am on borrowed time in the t-bird. If I swap the mark 8 tranny into the tbird, then I can get a build tranny for the mark 8.

Chris
1998 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC
1996 Thunderbird LX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

#1 - My guess is original TC dying &/or Main VB O/D circuit getting tired - You've gotten your moneys worth out of 96 tranny I'd say as stock it's pretty poor.

#2 - Much better Tranny & TC than the 96 ~! - Certainly should have some great miles left in it - I'd do new tranny Cooler & Flex Plate swap for 11 inch TC too.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Might be the OD band slipping when the fluid is hot. The way to check that would be to drive it for 30 minutes or so and see if it starts slipping in OD again, then if so go into 3rd like you did before to see if it stops. If so then go into manual 2nd to see if it slips again. If so, then it's the band. Don't go from OD to manual 2 though; turn off OD first before moving the shifter.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Sounds like a slipping OD band to me. It's more common on the older AODs than the 4R70, but with 146K on it, parts in that trans are getting pretty worn. I would swap it out before you start having more problems and it leaves you stranded. In the meantime, I wouldn't use OD at all, since every time it shifts into OD, that is more of the band wearing away and mixing in with the rest of the trans fluid, which could start causing other issues.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Drove to work today and it was fine. It's about a 27 mile commute, mostly highway. I called a local transmission shop and they suggested that it might be the neutral safety switch. I'm going to borrow a code reader from a friend at work to see if I can catch it. Anybody else have any issues with the Neutral safety switch?

Since the connector in the 98 is different than the 96. Do you just swap the pins in the connector to get them to match up?

Chris
1996 Thunderbird LX
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
If you swap the trans, you would have to swap your mlps onto the new trans. I highly doubt that is the problem though. If that were bad, or out of adjustment, it could possibly cause the trans to not shift into OD at all, but in your case, it is shifting into OD no problem, but slipping once it is in OD. I think on that long drive, the fluid got hotter than it does on your daily commute, and the OD band that is barely holding on wasn't able to grip anymore at the higher temps. If you don't have an external trans cooler, that may buy you some time, but pretty soon that trans is going to need to be rebuilt or replaced.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

One question on the transmission tech article

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...n/page16.shtml

Halfway down the page: "you must change out all the internal electronic pieces"

Why would we have to do that if the pinouts on the connectors are changed properly?

Chris
1996 Thunderbird LX
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Because the resistance readings within the MLPS are different, so even if the current is flowing in the correct path, if it is getting a different resistance reading, it will throw off the computer and not work properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in