• 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By Thunderstruck95

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Traction control disable...98 Mark VIII

I am doing the Jmod to a customers mark soon. I have mentioned the possibility of it setting off the traction control. I am curious if there is any easy way to electrically trick the info center that the tc has been turned off? Thanks in advance!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
It just becomes second nature to turn it off as soon as you start the car. Hit "Vehicle settings" once, then the reset button. It needs to be disabled every time you start the car, so unless you were going to create a module that would send the right signals to the ABS module every time the car gets started, I don't see any easy way to disable the traction control permanently without also taking out the ABS with it.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

No way that I know of to disable the TC in the tune, or by any simple wiring fix.

The J-Mod won't set it off either.

Just as Mike states, you get used to hitting the reset button.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 PM
4th Gear Poster

Is it the same/similar to the T-Bird's TC? The above posts make me think my mod wouldn't work but passing it on anyways.

You can solder some wire to bridge the connection(Right term??) at the switch:

I'm not very good at soldering so it didn't work too well for me so I went to the harness and connected the two wires(gray and purple w/ pink stripe) for the TC:

Don't know if the circuit board or wire colors are the same so do it by trial and error until the TC off light stays on. Then pull the bulb out.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:39 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnytick View Post
Is it the same/similar to the T-Bird's TC?
No, it's controlled through the Message Center buttons on a Mark VIII.

My Web Site
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
My ABS sensors arent plugged in .. disables the ABS and traction control also.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 PM
pendejo

DLF, what about jumping the circuit on the message center like you mentioned on LVC. I'm not saying I have big enough [email protected] to try it, but maybe we can convince somebody to...

and while we're on the topic of this can anybody tell me if unplugging the abs pump motor, will kill the speedometer and odometer. or if it will just light up the dash like a Christmas tree.

"Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away..."
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
If you want to disable ABS, why not just yank the fuse?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggles85 View Post
DLF, what about jumping the circuit on the message center like you mentioned on LVC. I'm not saying I have big enough [email protected] to try it, but maybe we can convince somebody to...

and while we're on the topic of this can anybody tell me if unplugging the abs pump motor, will kill the speedometer and odometer. or if it will just light up the dash like a Christmas tree.
It will make the odometer go blank for sure. My 97 LSC had no odometer when I bought it, turned out it had lots of corrosion in the ABS module connection. A new module without rotted pins, 2 new connector pins and some careful cleaning and it was all working again. Come to think of it, my ABS and trac light were always on and I could do one tire burnouts

sctbird1994, good idea on inducing a ABS code to disable the system Are there any side effects to this besides no ABS and the warning lights being on?

EDIT: got an email from Don Lasota earlier about the tune. He was able to turn off a parameter or something in the mark computer for traction control, but he cant be sure that it will take care of it since it's a Lincoln. We are going to keep our fingers crossed though! It sucks having to hit those buttons just to turn it off everytime you hop in the car!

-Rob
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Last edited by Rob; 05-22-2012 at 12:27 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
sctbird1994, good idea on inducing a ABS code to disable the system Are there any side effects to this besides no ABS and the warning lights being on?
Just the ABS light on, and the Traction control is always Off, this is on a 1994 SC though but the traction control relies on the ABS.

My only reason is because I put these 17x9" Cobra replica wheels on that rubbed on the spindles, so I put some early style spindles on for clearance and they didnt come with ABS sensors .. eventually I plan on fixing the problem by installing sensors.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
EDIT: got an email from Don Lasota earlier about the tune. He was able to turn off a parameter or something in the mark computer for traction control, but he cant be sure that it will take care of it since it's a Lincoln. We are going to keep our fingers crossed though! It sucks having to hit those buttons just to turn it off everytime you hop in the car!
While there is a parameter in the SCT db for the TC, I've tried it, and it hasn't had any effect on the Mark VIII's that I've tuned. Maybe you'll have better luck.

My Web Site
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

I presume we will have the same luck, lol. Luckily the guy understands its something hes going to have to turn off as needed.

-Rob
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
pendejo

If one of the front abs sensors "fails" is there any wire that can be snipped to disable the traction control message, from displaying on the message center? Sorry I don't have an evtm yet, so I've gotta ask stupid questions.

Also, sort of related, if I have the abs system "repaired" when it comes time for safety/emissions will there be a code for the abs warning lamp being "burnt out"
Thanks.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 AM

I had Don due some tunes for my 98 LSC and my main want was traction control off we couldnt get it.The tunes rock but Don couldnt get the traction control off.I ordered from DALLAS Mustang a traction control controller they sell for the mustang.I basically set the car to the last settings before the key was turned off.I am wiring it in tomorrow.They believe its going to work.I have to call them tomorrow and there tech is going to go through the wiring.The module is $15 on EBAY.They have it listed still
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggles85 View Post
If one of the front abs sensors "fails" is there any wire that can be snipped to disable the traction control message, from displaying on the message center? Sorry I don't have an evtm yet, so I've gotta ask stupid questions.

Also, sort of related, if I have the abs system "repaired" when it comes time for safety/emissions will there be a code for the abs warning lamp being "burnt out"
Thanks.
Why not remove the lamp from behind the "Traction Control" message? That would keep it from displaying.

RwP
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
It isn't a lamp. It is an LED display message center that is also used for other things like the clock, compass, fuel mileage monitor, trip odometer, driver settings, etc.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:08 PM
pendejo

Right, kinda planning on pulling the "abs" bulb and the "traction off" bulb, but I still need to hit reset to clear the "check traction control" message every time I get in the car.

08fxdb96 please let us know how you make out with that. Sounds like something I might want.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Why not just fix the problem?

My Web Site
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM

No problem!Fat tires in rear set off traction control the slight hieght difference makes the computer think your spinning out.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM
pendejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
Why not just fix the problem?
Well I guess I could do that.

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

08fxdb96....dude you have to send me a link to this. What does the module exactly do? Mimick button pushes? This might make the most sense to use. The tune was unable to turn off t/c since its controlled by the ABS module mostly.

After doing this jmod, the traction light would turn on at the shift, but there is no timing being retarded that I could best tell. Maybe turning off the t/c in the computer makes it stop retarding timing when TC is set off. I think the gen II uses both the engine and rear brakes to make this happen. Is that right? Wait...I noticed that before we flashed the pcm.

-Rob
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
I have been thinking hard about a way to permanently disable the traction control for my FX2 dune car monstrosity 1997 Mark VIII. In the discussion above, they are talking about the traction control in relation to the ABS, but I am pretty certain that the fuel also gets cut with the traction control kicks in. If the fuel does indeed gets cut back during a "traction event", and there is not a good solution for turning it off with a tune, would my only good option be to swap out the engine harness and PCM for one out of a Bird (that only had traction control via the brakes) and remove/disable my ABS pump?

Or what if I spliced the wheel speed sensors and had them all looking at only one tire?

1995 T-Bird.
PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Stage 2 MHS cams. Kooks Headers. 4,200 ATF Speed converter. BCA Transmission. 4:10s. Tune by Supercoupes Unlimited. 245 RWHP.
3,700 lbs at half tank. Goal- 3,400 lbs
Best of 13.85 at 96 mph. Goal- 11's NA

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine- R.I.P.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:16 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
I have been thinking hard about a way to permanently disable the traction control for my FX2 dune car monstrosity 1997 Mark VIII. In the discussion above, they are talking about the traction control in relation to the ABS, but I am pretty certain that the fuel also gets cut with the traction control kicks in. If the fuel does indeed gets cut back during a "traction event", and there is not a good solution for turning it off with a tune, would my only good option be to swap out the engine harness and PCM for one out of a Bird (that only had traction control via the brakes) and remove/disable my ABS pump?

Or what if I spliced the wheel speed sensors and had them all looking at only one tire?
Splicing the wheel speed sensors to just one or two wheels (the front presumably) is a bad idea. The way ABS works, as I'm sure you know, is it measures wheel speed. If it can't balance it out across all four wheels, it cannot react appropriately. A great example of this happens to me EVERY winter when we get enough snow or a sheet of ice on the hill here in Duluth. ABS becomes useless because if you're smart you're already crawling down the hill in low gear, and as you feather the brake, the ABS kicks in, but on ice or the right consistency snow, all four wheels can be locked and you're still moving down the hill, rendering the ABS useless. So you have to resort to feathering the brake to try and get enough traction to slow your slide and hope you can stop before the bottom of the hill.

I wouldn't recommend doing the splicing is what I'm saying. Swapping out the harness won't do you any good either, because I believe Traction Control was included in all ABS equipped MN-12/FN-10 vehicles. They run off the same system, just a minor variation in activation, where the ABS is triggered using the brake pedal, while the TC is triggered by wheelspin on acceleration, and it will brake the appropriate wheel.

If I were you, I'd take the simplest path and simply unplug the wheel sensors, disabling both the ABS and the Traction control and just feather the brake like you would in a non ABS equipped car.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
But I am fairly confident that the fuel gets pulled back when the tires spin. I drove that car for about 100 k miles with the ABS light on. A shop told me that is was a bad ABS pump and I decided to just drive it as is. Every time that I started the car and drove is about 50 feet, the ABS light would turn on. The wheels would lock up on a hard stop, showing me that the ABS was indeed not working. BUT AT THE SAME TIME, if I spun the tires, the traction control would still kick in, really killing power for about 3 seconds (especially annoying/ dangerous when pulling off a dirt driveway into the flow of fast traffic). And if I didn't turn off the TC before the ABS light was tripped, I was locked out of it and had to restart the car and turn off TC before the ABS tripped again.

That is what I'm trying to get around- the fuel getting pulled and loosing almost all power every time that the tires spin. Mark VIII's have an information center that you can navigate to turn off the TC, but I would like to evolve what I have to eliminate the info center and the TC all together. As of right now, every time I start the car, I have to wait about 4 seconds and then toggle through the settings in order to turn off TC. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I am trying to make things as simple as possible and give the ability for other drivers to be able to get into the car and just go.

1995 T-Bird.
PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Stage 2 MHS cams. Kooks Headers. 4,200 ATF Speed converter. BCA Transmission. 4:10s. Tune by Supercoupes Unlimited. 245 RWHP.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I agree with Woodman's suggestion - no sensors = no way for traction control to know to pull timing. Swapping harnesses from a Tbird or whatever is the opposite of simplification, and take this from someone who has needlessly adapted several wiring harnesses
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
If unplugging my wheel speed sensors will do the trick, then that is about as simple as it gets. Thanks guys.
Woodman likes this.

1995 T-Bird.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in