what sensors/devices are responsible for locking TCC? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

what sensors/devices are responsible for locking TCC?

Hey all,

I'm having a hard time believing this is normal in this car (Mark VIII).

It seems that the ECM locks the TCC wayyy too early in the low RPM's while still accelerating (locking at about 1200RPM's at around 25 MPH in city driving). This is becoming an annoyance because it bogs the engine down and basically I have to push the accelerator in more (almost halfway through) to unlock the TCC or automatically downshift to get the car moving.

Other than this, the car is driving fine when at speed and on the highway.

Anything else I should be looking at? I don't get any CEL's..

Jason
- '97 Mark VIII LSC 'Dark Navy Blue'
- '94 Thunderbird LX 4.6
Previously...
- '98 Cobra
- '95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
- '95 Buick Roadmaster LT1 wagon
- '95 Mustang GT
- '95 Mustang GT-S
- '89 Mustang LX 5.0 notch
- '92 Chevy Cavalier Z24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

A tune will allow you to control lock-up strategy and shift points & pressure.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Lockup is influenced by many sensors - including but not limited to engine load (MAF sensor), vehicle speed (OSS), engine RPM (crank sensor), transmission fluid temperature (TOT sensor), engine coolant temperature (ECT sensor) and throttle position (TPS).

In the stock program, typically the converter will lockup about a second after the 2-3 shift.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Looks like a tune will have to be! Will probably do a trans cooler beforehand.

Jason
- '94 Thunderbird LX 4.6
Previously...
- '98 Cobra
- '95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
- '95 Mustang GT
- '95 Mustang GT-S
- '92 Chevy Cavalier Z24
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question

ECU Tune will fix - I regularly see Lockup at 32MPH putting around on level road with Stock Size tires with no probs on 93 Octane - But yeah if Plugs & Wires are'nt up to snuff it does'nt like it in Summer w/AC ON - I see you have an LSC w/higher Rear End Gear & maybe other than Stock size Tires to see Lockup at 25 MPH ~ ??

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Maybe there's nothing "wrong" with the car, but it's just annoying!

Perhaps the 96's were a little less restrictive with their tuning because of all the stuff I hear about the pre-97's having more umph than the 97-98's.

A tune will have to be in order and there's a few dyno tune shops in my area too.

BTW, I've got deep dish Bulllitts on the car from customwheelshop (apparently I bought their last set) using 275/35's in the rear. But it's the closest match to stock tire height from all the recommendations.

Jason
- '94 Thunderbird LX 4.6
Previously...
- '98 Cobra
- '95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
- '95 Mustang GT
- '95 Mustang GT-S
- '92 Chevy Cavalier Z24
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Probably is nothing wrong with it but it's a common complaint on the MKVIII Boards... guys like to bump it up to 40MPH or so - Usually mine Locks Up at 35MPH or so & that;s OK w/me but if running level or downhill it Locks it at 32MPH - & Again the guys with bad Wires / Plugs REALLY whine~!

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 AM

I suppose I really shouldn’t be on this site; however I found it by accident while looking for some information on a 4R70W transmission concern I was having with the torque convertor having an early lock-up an article posted by SilverEspada on 06-11-2012.
I have a 1980 Fairmont with a 97 Mustang 2v 4.6 engine and complete drive train. The donor car sat for about 7 yrs after an accident and exchanged hands a few times. With a bit of work, I did some repairs and I managed to get it running, Due to the accident damage to the donor car, I was unable and unwilling to drive the car at any speed and was just happy that it would move……. and so I stuffed it into the Fairmont…. All works well except I thought the transmission or PCM was faulty. I knew it wasn’t the wiring, as I am a Ford Auto Electrical Technician and the wiring seems intact and functional.
I was able to manipulate the PIDS in the transmission; Listen for the clicks, (realizing clicks can be tricks) all functions as designed. I decided to go “online” as the transmission technicians didn’t think there was a problem.
After MANY hours of reading on this concern, I found only one other site that stated this was “probably” normal; however I still had no confidence in this shifting sequence. I then stumbled upon this site; it seems there are a few people with the same concern and symptoms. I dug down into the transmission portion, and found a lot of interesting info. I suppose that i have to agree this pattern is normal…. At low speeds; my car has 1-2 great, 2-3 it seems like it goes into torque converter lock up as soon as it goes into third, no codes, no overdrive light blinking, no misfires just chugs along, if I let off the accelerator, the torque convertor unlocks and it goes right into 3rd gear for a while then then the T/C locks up again, tap the brake and the T/C will unlock, no other problems were noted. I had noticed this 4R70W did not do this when cold, only when warm.
I had the same thoughts about a faulty sensor or sensors, it’s really interesting that I had it stuck in my mind there was a (problem) i read so many articles about shift scheduling, but could never find what I was looking for until I found this site!!!
It would appear that a lot of guys also have modified their cars with different engine/transmissions for whatever reasons, I have been playing with this car over the years, different engines, transmissions, drivetrains dashboards etc., all in the name of good ol’ American let’s see if this works……
It should be stated that the caliber of questions and replies on this site is outstanding and very helpful in a gentlemanly way. Your transmission techs and write-ups are great.
I have had a 94 T/Bird 3.8 liter in the past, a superb car that handled great and I used the engine & drivetrain from a MK VII in this car for a few Years, and may go with the MK VIII later. This car is surplus to needs and is therefore a hobby/project but has given a lot of pleasure with a reasonable amount of pain, but i like to swap things out, and this is the vessel to do it with.
I just wanted to say you guys have a great site, and you should be proud of it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I'd just like to say that reading your post was harder to do than the Organic Chemistry text I'm taking a break from.

Use punctuation, write in distinct sentences, like everyone else here, and you'll get along much better, and people will actually read your posts.

My $0.02.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:38 PM

yeah, I see what you mean, anyway; seems to be a good site.
I was hoping to bring something to the table, perhaps not.....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Welcome! Sounds like a great project car! Like was said earlier, tuning will allow you to change whatever you want about the transmission functions, including TCC lockup. When you get a chance, make an intro post with pics of your fairmont, and I'm sure it will be received well by the people on here.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in