Finally got everything installed! =D - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Finally got everything installed! =D

I finally got christine back after nearly 2 months of being under the knife. I got the DD 3800 multiclutch stall converter, 373 gears, Jmod, 1 piece ds all installed with a tranny cooler from DD. Now it has been raining all evening so i didnt get a chance to really drive it, Just drove it 5 miles from shop to home. One thing i really noticed is like when i leave from a stop it seems kinda sluggish... like it needs more RPM's to get the girl moving... Then when im at cruising speeds it seems i hear more engine noise... Idk, maybe thats always how its been.... just getting used to her again after 2 months lol. What things should i expect without a tune? I wont be able to get the tune for at least 2 months.
(keep in mind this is the first car ive ever been in that has a higher stall,gears, kit or anything. This is new to me)

---Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
First off, Congratulations!

You're gonna be real happy with it when you do get a chance to drive it.

That's normal for it to seem sluggish with the 3,800 converter. Just be careful when you get into the throttle with it. You're going to need some serious traction! Be very careful with it the car can get away from you very easily.

Most of those mods don't require a tune. I may be wrong but, I think the only thing you may need to change are your shift points to take advantage of that converter. It should run fine without a tune until you can get one.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-15-2012 at 09:31 PM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The engine is noiser because the revs are higher at any given speed.

Like Trunk said, with a high stall like that, it will seem sluggish until you get used to it. A good DD converter shouldn't be as bad as some 'cheaper' brands, however.

I can't wait until you REALLY get a chance to test it out and let us know how she acts!!!!!!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I have about the same mods except I have a 2800 stall and daily drive it all the time. I have an email xcal2 tune and the difference is a better drivablity manners over no tune. Thats the simplist way to say I think. Without the tune on and when I go to put the car into drive the super hgh line pressure on the trans just barks the tires from park. Its a good idea to get a tune and get the most of your mods and it will behave better. YOu dont NEED a tune though and youll be ok driving without one. Go find an empty parking lot and really get used to the cars performance. Revving a daily driver car to 3800 or more each shift makes me think youll have traction problems. Now youll need the trac loc. Moving to AZ yet?

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well i took her for a drive today and she didnt act like i expected... I mean i didnt really open her up persay.. but i expected it to burn tires and act beastly... i turned around at an approach and kinda floored it...she made alot of engine noise and started to pick up speed but it seems like its lacking the punch it had before. Idk, Tomaro ill go for a more intense drive and see what happens to her, She didnt shift hard or bark any tires... just sounded like when you try to mash the gas in a high gear.

@splattered - were working on it man, Trying to find a job before we do the moving. I got the 373 traklok and converter from DD.

---Jeremy
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:48 PM
PostWhore

You should be barking and chirping tires from 1st to second and second to 3rd.

Well I know the places that are hiring here so you can get set up quick. Its cheap to live here relatively. I can get my car sidewides all on a stock motor. My trans is a custom build up unit. I think a tune will solve this. Im more than happy with how my 4k # sled scoots on a wimpy stock motor.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
You should be barking and chirping tires from 1st to second and second to 3rd.

Well I know the places that are hiring here so you can get set up quick. Its cheap to live here relatively. I can get my car sidewides all on a stock motor. My trans is a custom build up unit. I think a tune will solve this. Im more than happy with how my 4k # sled scoots on a wimpy stock motor.
Then another issue i want to get fixed is my OD light dont even work, I think in the time i owned it...out of all the times i pushed the button the o/d light came on once... so i hurried and turn o/d back on becuz i thought it wouldnt work again lol. I pulled the handle off and checked the wiring and its not broke or pinched... Any ideas? Well tomaro i will make a video with my cell phone to show how the car is acting and see if its normal. You know places that are hiring? Good money?

---Jeremy
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:23 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tiveJuggalo17 View Post
Well i took her for a drive today and she didnt act like i expected... I mean i didnt really open her up persay.. but i expected it to burn tires and act beastly... i turned around at an approach and kinda floored it...she made alot of engine noise and started to pick up speed but it seems like its lacking the punch it had before. Idk, Tomaro ill go for a more intense drive and see what happens to her, She didnt shift hard or bark any tires... just sounded like when you try to mash the gas in a high gear.
With just the j-mod my wife would complain about getting whiplash on the 1-2 shift. With the 3.73 gears it seems even more so. Did you leave out the bottom spring on the 1-2 accumulator piston?

Tomorrow try launching at different RPMs see what it does for you.

Do you shift out of OD when you push the button? Is the OD bulb burnt out?

If you're not happy with your converter I'll trade you my F63 unit.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnytick View Post
With just the j-mod my wife would complain about getting whiplash on the 1-2 shift. With the 3.73 gears it seems even more so. Did you leave out the bottom spring on the 1-2 accumulator piston?

Tomorrow try launching at different RPMs see what it does for you.

Do you shift out of OD when you push the button? Is the OD bulb burnt out?

If you're not happy with your converter I'll trade you my F63 unit.
The shop who did my jmod said they left out the bottom spring for the 1-2, I only gave them one spring for the 1-2 lol... My od light isnt burn out, When i changed to scott gauges i put in a new bulb.

---Jeremy
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have 3.73 limited slip along with the hardest shifting JMOD available...plus a tune. With stock tuning, the trans acts very strang witht he JMOD...kinda shifts harder and definately faster than factory, but the timing is off somehow, it just feels weird. Definately no 1-2 chirp.

With the tune in place, bumping line pressure, the trans shifts violently hard...keep in mind I have a factory converter, which makes things different than your car. I think a tune would really help make your car feel "right"

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 PM
4th Gear Poster

Hmm...You'll have to play with it some more, I only bark them at WOT, btw.

My OD button would give me some trouble sometimes, would have to push it a couple time and wiggle it a little to get out of OD.

When I removed my shifter no matter how careful I was I would rip the wires out/apart. Was a huge pain for me to solder them but I eventually got it back together and OD works perfect now.

Try pulling one from the junkyard and see if it works(maybe someone can pull one for you if you aren't close to a JY), or try pulling the wiring out and checking the contacts to check for corrosion(which you did, never mind). Or wiring in a different momentary switch.

Just tossing random suggestions out.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnytick View Post
Hmm...You'll have to play with it some more, I only bark them at WOT, btw.

My OD button would give me some trouble sometimes, would have to push it a couple time and wiggle it a little to get out of OD.

When I removed my shifter no matter how careful I was I would rip the wires out/apart. Was a huge pain for me to solder them but I eventually got it back together and OD works perfect now.

Try pulling one from the junkyard and see if it works(maybe someone can pull one for you if you aren't close to a JY), or try pulling the wiring out and checking the contacts to check for corrosion(which you did, never mind). Or wiring in a different momentary switch.

Just tossing random suggestions out.
I always unplug the wires plug in the center before I pull the shifter handle for that very reason - it will always rip them apart if you don't.

Quote:

@splattered - were working on it man, Trying to find a job before we do the moving. I got the 373 traklok and converter from DD.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the performance you expected... I'm sure you'll get it figured out, this is an issue when modding cars - when you do so much so quickly like you have, sometimes things don't work out like you expect! With the help of everybody here, I'm sure you'll get everything running properly and make your car EXACTLY like you want it!

OD button not working? Under the center console, there is a little plug where that button's wires go down under there. Make sure it's clean and plugged in good.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Heres a short clip uploaded from my phone, Is this how it should be running? I kinda punched it from the line but it felt like it shifted hard so i let off the gas...then punched it again. uploaded via android phone.

---Jeremy
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Hard shifting is to be expected with the Jmod. Have no fear and stay in the throttle!

BTW, your car sounds good!

Oh, and TURN YOUR CAMERA OVER TO HORIZONTAL WHEN SHOOTING VIDEO!!!!!

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Hard shifting is to be expected with the Jmod. Have no fear and stay in the throttle!

BTW, your car sounds good!

Oh, and TURN YOUR CAMERA OVER TO HORIZONTAL WHEN SHOOTING VIDEO!!!!!
Thank You! I love the way she sounds, Even tho all i did was cuz off the mufflers and weld straight pipes in there lol. Oh I gotcha, I'll make a way better video tonight and i will turn it HORIZONTAL! :P lol

---Jeremy

Last edited by N8tiveJuggalo17; 06-17-2012 at 08:31 PM.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Ok, Heres a better video... Everything seem normal? this is driving down my street to my house.

---Jeremy
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Boost!!!

It just looks like its just short shifting because of the gears and j-mod... a tune would help in a huge way. i'm not completely sure how it works so someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the combination of the short shifting and the looser converter absorbing some of the ''umph'' is why your not getting a good bark into 2nd.
When i got my gears, and jmod in my last car the tune made a huge difference in the way the car acted on the 1-2 shift. it barked the tires without the tune, but no where near as hard as it did with the tune.
try loading the converter next time you ''play''. One of the main purposes of the higher stall tc is the launch anyways. load it up to about 2 grand or higher and put your foot down, let off the brake, and hold on...lol

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

Last edited by modularbird; 06-18-2012 at 07:57 PM.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 AM

I have a DD convertor, with 327 gears. It acted strange at first, but after I changed the shift points and shifting line pressures, it shifts and drives closer to normal. Changing the MPH the transmission shifts makes all the difference in the world.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

That is odd.. It looks as if you let off right before you were about to shift. And its shifting early ~4900 RPM.

I thought when changing to 3.73 gears (higher gears in general) the computer would wait longer to shift. Since the computer will shift based on MPH instead of RPM that would mean your computer would command the tranny to shift a little higher than 5200 RPM like around ~5500 RPM. But it looks like his car is doing the opposite.. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding of it..

This kinda leads me to wonder if your Jmod was done correctly? I would get the tune first as everyone else has said then go from there

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
With the J-mod the orifices are bigger thus the clutches are fully engaged faster. The PCM usually commands the shift several hundred RPMs before the actual shift takes place to compensate for the fill times. A tune fixes that.

-Matt
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM
PostWhore

Cool guages man

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I kinda let off the gas too, I was doing this down my street to my house lol! So you think it is doing this becuz its not tuned? I got the seperator kit from robertp so i know its done right. Thanks jamie.

---Jeremy
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 AM
PostWhore

Seriously there is a big big diff with a tune. SO much so that I would just get one and be done with this mystery. A tune is the like most needed of all mods when you start changing gears and such. Just today I was chirping tires and did it under and over pass with a big loud echoing bark LOL. With 3.27s the tune was a big difference imagine with a TC like yours and 373s the differences being greater.

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 AM
5th Gear Poster

Excuse me for being a bit of a newbie here but isn't a 3800 stall converter too high of a stall for a NPI motor? I think NPI motors make their max torque at 3000 rpm if I am not mistaken and from what I read I thought you wanted your stall to be about 700 rpm below your peak torque. I bought a 3800 stall for my 4v swap I am doing because peak torque for B heads is around 4500 rpm.

I am just wondering if he feels like he lost power because he overshot his torque band.

Daily Driver - 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 manual black on black. Stock for now.

Current Project - 1996 T-bird LX 4.6L: PI head swap, factory 3.27 TL, tuned by Don LaSota.

Retired Car - 1995 T-bird LX 4.6L: 4v swap plus Cobra goodies
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Stall speed really varies for each car depending on the output of the motor, more torque equals more stall. Right now he probably isn't really stalling the engine to 3800 RPM when he goes to launch his car from a stop. The 3800 stall might be a little much for a stock NPI motor but modular motors make all there power up top. When the OP upgrades even to just a PI intake and cams his power band is going to be right at 4k RPM and up.

Look at this video here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQvcwuKhIQ, you can see this guy has a pretty significant dead spot from 3 to 4 thousand RPM if he went with a 3800 stall he would have been able to skip that dead spot by quite a bit.

I'll let others come in on this they might be able to answer your question better. Alan would probably answer your question best

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

It burns the tires pretty good but it doesnt chirp or bark tires by any means, It just doesnt seem like I feel that strong pull up through the rpms in the buttmeter that it had before but I have been working major overtime hours... Just got 53 last week alone, I should be getting apretty decent check so i am going with don lasota for my tune, Gonna buy that sctx3 deal with 1 tune for $379. Then see how everything reacts then, Now I've been looking into the 02-04 gt maf.. it would be smart to buy that before I get the tune correct? I called a salvage yard and they got one for $80, should i get the tube and filter also? As per reading i don't need the pigtail for my 97 I think.

---Jeremy
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The mustang MAF def won't hurt. But forget $80 bucks for one. I think I got mine off a 02 F150 for $40 bucks at a local yard. Just make sure the part number is YC somethin somethin whatever. And yes you will need a Mustang tube, and filter case
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
The mustang MAF def won't hurt. But forget $80 bucks for one. I think I got mine off a 02 F150 for $40 bucks at a local yard. Just make sure the part number is YC somethin somethin whatever. And yes you will need a Mustang tube, and filter case
I got mine for less than that off a 2008 F-150 part # YC2F-12B579-AB

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Gonna buy that sctx3 deal with 1 tune for $379. Then see how everything reacts then, Now I've been looking into the 02-04 gt maf.. it would be smart to buy that before I get the tune correct? ...
Yes. Get the new MAF before you get the tune.

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Got my 02 GT MAF airbox and intake together for $20 shipped

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in