Vee Six Transmission Questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Vee Six Transmission Questions

I did try to do some searching but couldn't seem to find the answers I wanted

So, my transmission in my 94 V6 Chicken has the lovely torque converter shudder. And by the time I take the car to the shop and have them to a full trans flush on my 94 159k trans, or I could for a little more get a junkyard trans from 02 v6 mustang with 81k miles and have a trans with most of the critical upgrades (it's at least a lot better than what I got).

Now my questions are:
1. Will the mustang trans bolt up correctly? Being both use the vulcan V6, I think the bellhousing should be the same, but what about crossmembers and the like? I don't want to get the stang trans home and find out I need mad fab skillz.

2. I know I need to keep the 94 mlps, but do I only need to swap over the exterior sensor? I don't have to swap over anything that's internal to the trans, yes?

3. I think if I read over the jmod article again, I could probably answer this myself, but it would be nice to get some conformation here too. I know the main electrical connectors are different, but is it just the pinning? Can I use the same plug that's on my bird and pull the connector apart and repin it? If so, is there more info out there about doing this? Pics always help.

4. what else do I need to swap/replace? I think a light j-mod would happen before the trans goes in, and a cooler has already been ordered (if anyone knows of a 5/16ths valve to bypass the cooler in the winter, links would be awesome),

I think that's all for now, Hopefully, that's readable because now I need to sleep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 AM
6th Gear Poster

Question

Do Search but I recall the D/D reccommended leaving 1-2 Accumulator Springs IN V6 as he actually wanted some Flare to lessen "bog"... interesting.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Decided I should update this post now that I've done some work to the car. My uncle, a Ford mechanic, did a little research for me, and the mustang transmission had enough differences with the sensors that I didn't want to mess with it. Just changed the torque converter, fluid, and filter. didn't touch the fuel tank - just dropped the diff (it's nice that the axles will rest on the lower suspension arms) disconnected the driveshaft from the diff (should have done this first - didn't realize how far back I needed to go) and slid the drive shaft over the diff. Ended up cutting the exhaust where the cats used to be (heh) in order to drop that out of the way and welded it back in place after. Also managed to snap off one of the tabs on the oil pan that bolt to the trans. All in all, it went fairly smoothly and the shudder is GONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 04:36 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
People are swapping later model transmissions in these cars all the time with no issues. Pretty much swapping the sensors, repin the connector and off you go. You have a 94 and they have been upgraded quite a bit over the years.

Good luck, glad to hear the shudder is gone!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeh, I saw a 2004 Mustang V6 in one of the local yards with a 4R70W in it months ago that you could have used. I saw the car, but I have a v8, so I left it alone - engine was already gone and everything; it would have been very easy to grab that tranny and go.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

And once again I don't pay attention to my own stinkin thread! Anyway, know I've seen plenty of swaps, but finding people doing a transmission swap with the 3.8 doesn't seem nearly as common. And naturally, I only took one pic of the trans when it was out... and that is a close up of the serial number. A good pic to have, yes, but an pic of the entire trans might have been smart too

Also, the serial number starts with "F3LP" - based off the ford part number decoder I found online, wouldn't that make it a 92 Lincoln transmission?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxbys View Post
Also, the serial number starts with "F3LP" - based off the ford part number decoder I found online, wouldn't that make it a 92 Lincoln transmission?
That F3LP is the part number for the Extension housing on the back of the transmission, 1993 Lincoln because it originally came on a Lincoln Mark8 before the Tbirds got them in 1994.

To answer a couple of your previous questions ..

Re-pinning the harness is simple.

The only solenoid you would need to change is the TCC Solenoid, everything else is just about the same.

The major difference is the later model transmission has a lot of better upgraded parts inside. The only thing that might give you a little trouble is the 8 tooth output shaft versus the 7 on yours, even with the correct speedometer gear to compensate, I have found it necessary to drill out the seperator plate (JMOD) on the 1-2 shift because it could hit the rev limiter before the shift is commanded if youre going WOT.

1994 MLPS is garbage .. you need a 95 MLPS with the rubber gasket, the 94 and earlier are prone to problems with the transmission dropping out of gear.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you look at this list of "4R70W Identification" that I've compiled, you will see that F3LP is a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII transmission (4.6L DOHC V8): http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=10

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

what I find really odd about the numbers being a Mark VIII is A. F3 should be a 92, yes? (F1 would be for 90, or does ford still use a 0 for the year digit?) And age aside, a Mark VIII trans won't bolt to my 3.8, and wouldn't it be incompatible with my driveshaft due to length (I know I read somewhere on this site the aluminum driveshaft won't work in my car because it wasn't the right length)

this is all kind of a moot point anyways, since the car runs and drives nicely now (there's a random stumble at part throttle and decel sometimes, but the car has been to Chicago and Fargo, ND from the IA/MN border without a hitch, so we'll just let it get more noticeable and then start troubleshooting...) and I'm not gonna replace the trans now that everything is peachy. Don't even want to j-mod what I got since it just got $100 of mercon V

aaaaaaand I really do need to say: thanks for the replies guys
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

So should I remove that number? Is that the number on the id tag of the tranny or only on the extension housing? Next time I'm at a junkyard and see a 93 Mark, I'm crawling under it!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
what I find really odd about the numbers being a Mark VIII is A. F3 should be a 92, yes? (F1 would be for 90, or does ford still use a 0 for the year digit?) And age aside, a Mark VIII trans won't bolt to my 3.8, and wouldn't it be incompatible with my driveshaft due to length (I know I read somewhere on this site the aluminum driveshaft won't work in my car because it wasn't the right length)

Ford used a zero for 0 .. the F3 means 1993.

No Mark 8 transmission would bolt to your car, different bolt pattern on the bellhousing is what makes it incompatible. The part number you read is probably on the Tailshaft .. the ID tag is above the trans oil pan.

The length of the transmission casing is the same, the difference is the position of the engine / motor mounts .. which is what makes the 4.6 and 3.8 driveshafts different lengths. There are some people using the aluminum drivshaft on the earlier AOD equipped 3.8 cars, its a tighter fit and the yoke needs to be swapped.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I find it odd that even the tail shaft would have that number. F3 is 93, yes, but then L means Lincoln and NO Mark VIII came with a v6! I go to junk yards all the time and put quite the blood, sweat, and tears into that list I made in the past; some of those numbers I got from other cars, trucks & car-part.

And yes, the v6 & v8 have different bell housing bolt patterns, the v6 having the Windsor while the v8 has the Modular.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
I find it odd that even the tail shaft would have that number. F3 is 93, yes, but then L means Lincoln and NO Mark VIII came with a v6! .
The Tail shaft has nothing to do with the Engine type ... as it goes on the Back of the transmission. They are both 4r70w transmissions, they have the same Output shaft and tailshaft housing to accept the larger driveshaft yoke.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Exactly. It was a casting first designed for the Mark VIII. Once the 4R70w found its way across the the divisions there was no need to make a new casting with a ford division part number unless it was updated.

-Matt
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Exactly. It was a casting first designed for the Mark VIII. Once the 4R70w found its way across the the divisions there was no need to make a new casting with a ford division part number unless it was updated.
Well that kinda sorta makes sense

ok, I think I've run out of silly questions for now
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Yeh, that's the only explanation I came up with too. Ford has done that will quite a few parts over the years which is fine. Heck, I've bought several parts that end in Z which is actually an engineering number, not a production number - but whatever - it is what it is.....

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Yeh, that's the only explanation I came up with too. Ford has done that will quite a few parts over the years which is fine. Heck, I've bought several parts that end in Z which is actually an engineering number, not a production number - but whatever - it is what it is.....
What kind of parts ? .. a Z in the 3rd digit of the PN is for the vehicle model in this case Mustang, the 4th digit is the component, Z would be for Service or Aftermaket part .. if its the last digit of the whole number which is the revision, Z could be the 26th revision to that part.

In the case of your transmission part number list, the 4th digit is always P which is for Automatic transmission.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
What kind of parts ? .. a Z in the 3rd digit of the PN is for the vehicle model in this case Mustang, the 4th digit is the component, Z would be for Service or Aftermaket part .. if its the last digit of the whole number which is the revision, Z could be the 26th revision to that part.

In the case of your transmission part number list, the 4th digit is always P which is for Automatic transmission.
My Cobra intake cams for my 4v that came from a 97 Cobra say:
F6ZE-6A270-AB on one of them. Ok, E was what I mean I guess, the Z means it came from a Mustang. I knew one of those dang letters stood for engineering, I guess it's the E, not the Z. lol

I just remembered the Engineering thing from when I was looking for parts awhile back and had to know what those part numbers broke down to. You obviously know more about how they break down than I do!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
My Cobra intake cams for my 4v that came from a 97 Cobra say:
F6ZE-6A270-AB on one of them. Ok, E was what I mean I guess, the Z means it came from a Mustang. I knew one of those dang letters stood for engineering, I guess it's the E, not the Z. lol

I just remembered the Engineering thing from when I was looking for parts awhile back and had to know what those part numbers broke down to. You obviously know more about how they break down than I do!
E stands for Engine .. the 4th digit is the Engineering Component, ie; automatic transmission = P, Manual trans = R, etc ..

F6 = 1996, Z = Mustang, E = Engine group
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
E stands for Engine .. the 4th digit is the Engineering Component, ie; automatic transmission = P, Manual trans = R, etc ..

F6 = 1996, Z = Mustang, E = Engine group
Gotcha Sorry for the thread derailment, OP.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Gotcha Sorry for the thread derailment, OP.
well, the thread was about swapping transmissions the same time as the TC and I replaced the TC several months ago... so, I've considered it off topic since then
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
well, the thread was about swapping transmissions the same time as the TC and I replaced the TC several months ago... so, I've considered it off topic since then
Well you were asking about the part number on your transmission, so its still relevant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in