97 lx shudder? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

97 lx shudder?

hi guys,

so heres the deal, under very light take offs i get a shudder and it feels like it shifts way to soon, it only seems to do it while going from 2-3, when she hits second its like it instantly goes into 3rd, but if i use just a little more gas it shift fine and no shudder. the prev owner claims to have changed the filter and fluid right before i bought it. i put in a can of trans tune and hopefully dropping the pan soon to change filter and fluid agian. is there anything else i should look into? thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Kind of slapped together

Mercon V, and do the full empty / refill (including the torque converter).

Possibly a J-Mod while it's open - check the articles from the TCCoA main web page.

RwP
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
PostWhore

Garage
agreed, if you put dex/merc or merc3 back in you'll have to flush it with mercV and cross your fingers, but sometimes when the shudder is already present, even the fluid change wont cure the issue for good... damage is done.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

well hopefully today i can sell this boat motor and pick up everything to do the j mod and swap to mercV. btw i noticed last night my trans fluid is way overfull, like it stops about an inch above the full mark. i really hope im not out another tranny this would be the 4th bad trans in 6 months!!!(not in the same car)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yeah, overfilling a trans can cause just as much damage as running it empty actually. they can be pretty picky about the proper fluid lvls. i always make it a habit to check the fluid lvl quite a bit for a few days after a fluid change, see where everything settles out to, then fill it in tiny increments till its perfect. nothings more annoying then seeing the trans is a bit low, dumping in a half a quart and /facepalming cuz now its way over >.>

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
yeah, overfilling a trans can cause just as much damage as running it empty actually. they can be pretty picky about the proper fluid lvls. i always make it a habit to check the fluid lvl quite a bit for a few days after a fluid change, see where everything settles out to, then fill it in tiny increments till its perfect. nothings more annoying then seeing the trans is a bit low, dumping in a half a quart and /facepalming cuz now its way over >.>
Personally, I've never had an overfilling issue and was always told that it would just blow the fluid out the dipstick. Of course, I don't make it a habit of overfilling them, either.

I did have an experience with a Buick V6 engine being 4 QUARTS OVERFILLED, however. The car smoked like crazy and lacked power - I can't believe it ran at all!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

i drianed the pan and torque converter and changed filter, then topped her up with mercV then put on 200 miles last night, no sign of the shudder and she seems to shift at normal points now. thanks guys. btw she took 13qts and still might be on the low side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in