2002 4r70 parts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

2002 4r70 parts

I just picked up a 94 4.6 lx and it has definite 3-4 shudder. I plan on doing the j- mod , flush and updating the servos. The question I have is I have a 2002 4r70w and I was wondering if there is anything that I can use out of that transmission that I can use like the valve body . Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Why not use the whole tranny? It has better internals and you have to change only a couple of things like TCC solenoid & Range Selector switch. Do a j-mod while you're at it, new filter and full of Merc V fluid, ride off into the sunset, and don't look back!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I would love to use the whole tranny but it happens to be a 4x4 trans out of an f150. That and it has 2 of the pump ears broken off of the case. I original picked it up to swap the planetary into an aod for my v8 explorer swap but plans changed and I picked up the bird. The guy I got it from sucked in water and smoked the clutches, all of the hard parts are still good it happens to be apart on my bench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe View Post
I would love to use the whole tranny but it happens to be a 4x4 trans out of an f150. That and it has 2 of the pump ears broken off of the case. I original picked it up to swap the planetary into an aod for my v8 explorer swap but plans changed and I picked up the bird. The guy I got it from sucked in water and smoked the clutches, all of the hard parts are still good it happens to be apart on my bench.
Oh, well in that case, just use the valve body with the mods I mentioned earlier.

That's what I would do, but you may get some other opinions here.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I am finally getting around to tackle the transmission, I've been dealing with other issues. To put the 02 valveboby in am I going to have any issues other than repining the connector? Are the alignment pins going to work in the 94 trans? Should I use the 2/3 accumulator cover from the 02? Also what jmod specs for the holes do I use on the 02?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well I finally got around to flushing the tranny and putting in the valvebody. When I drained the fluid it was very dark but I didn't see any metal. I got it back together and when I put it in drive and hit the gas the motor revs and the car barely moves like the tranny is in a higher gear. Reverse works and when I drop it into 1 it goes into first normally same with 2. I am not sure if it is shifting from first to second with the shifter in the 2 position because I didn't get to drive it far. I reused the tcc from the 94 and used the shift solenoids from the 02. I didn't touch the mlps and got the proper alignment pins for the valvebody. This is my first experience with an electronic trans so if anyone could give me a direction to start troubleshooting I would appreciate it. If you need any more information I would be happy to tell you what I can.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The 02 transmission has 2 stiffener plates on the transmission, the earlier model unit in your car had 3. In turn the "bottlecap" on the 02 is taller if you do not use it the direct piston will out stroke the bore making it slip in 3rd and 4th.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Well I finally got around to flushing the tranny and putting in the valvebody. When I drained the fluid it was very dark but I didn't see any metal. I got it back together and when I put it in drive and hit the gas the motor revs and the car barely moves like the tranny is in a higher gear. Reverse works and when I drop it into 1 it goes into first normally same with 2. I am not sure if it is shifting from first to second with the shifter in the 2 position because I didn't get to drive it far. I reused the tcc from the 94 and used the shift solenoids from the 02. I didn't touch the mlps and got the proper alignment pins for the valvebody. This is my first experience with an electronic trans so if anyone could give me a direction to start troubleshooting I would appreciate it. If you need any more information I would be happy to tell you what I can.
A Ford transmission will not start moving in 1st if you put the selector in 2nd. If you start moving the car from a stop in 2nd, the transmission will be in 2nd (it's unlike other manufacturers that way which always start in 1st no matter where the selector is).

Also, what was the part # of the proper alignment pin adapters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
The 02 transmission has 2 stiffener plates on the transmission, the earlier model unit in your car had 3. In turn the "bottlecap" on the 02 is taller if you do not use it the direct piston will out stroke the bore making it slip in 3rd and 4th.
Alan
I don't understand what you mean, but I think I need to because I'm putting a 2004 valve body in a 1995 transmission; please explain!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
compare the valvebodies you will see what I am talking about.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I don't remember the part # right off hand but I got from one of the tech articles. I forgot to add that I updated the 1/2 and the 2/3 accumulators and I got a 2/3 for a newer trans with the taller cap. I should have checked the shift solenoids before I put them in to make sure they were good but I didn't. Could bad solenoids cause this problem?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

i just looked and the part # F6AZ-7K720-A for the alignment bushings.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

How did you hook the new style shift solenoids up to the old style harness?

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
How did you hook the new style shift solenoids up to the old style harness?
i just plugged them into it it was the same connector. Are the pinouts different in the connectors?
I drove it more this morning. I start out from a stop an the engine revs to about 1800-2000 and slowly starts to move. At approximately 10 mph i feel it shift into second and then it shifts into 3rd normally. I slow to a stop and the same thing over again. It feels to me that it just wont shift down into 1st on its own. When i did the 1/2 servo i took out the bottom spring and put in a top one, the factory lower was broken into 3 pieces. I also reused the thick aluminum original cap that has an o-ring on it on the 1/2 servo. I dont know if that has anything to do with the issue.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Darrin thanks for the insight I went back to Jerry's thesis and found where he says the connectors are different. I have read all those stickys a dozen times and I guess I just missed that. I am going to put my original 94 solenoids back in and see what happens. Really glad I installed that b&m pan with the drain now!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Why not use the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator setups from the 02 transmission while you are in there?

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Why not use the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator setups from the 02 transmission while you are in there?
I did use the new accumulators from the 02 I just ended up missing the cap for the 1/2. I got it all back together and it works great 1,2 and 3 actually shift now. I don't know if the 3-4 shudder is gone because I don't have a plate on it right now and can't take it out to far. Thanks everyone for the help I don't think I would have figured that out on my own.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
i just looked and the part # F6AZ-7K720-A for the alignment bushings.
Thanks, Robe!

Glad you got it all figured out!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Glad I could be of assistance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in