1-2 spring going back in... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
1-2 spring going back in...

OK, I'm going to get that spring back in the 1-2 accum soon... starting to do a bit of damage to my old worn out irs system and I'm tired of throttling out during DD so i don't get the neck jerk/tire squawk >.> eventually i plan to rebuild everything back their and get myself a traclok, but still... i just find that hard 1-2 a little annoying for the daily drive...

pretty sure i found them in the toolbox, but i don't think the smaller spring is right... anyone want to chime in and tell me what i have are the right springs before i drop the pan and find out myself?

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The little spring looks like the 2-3 accumulator spring.

The bigger one just looks ... funky. Like maybe it was the bottom spring on the 1-2.

ANY spring you put on the top of the 1-2 will soften that 1-2 shift. I put mine in when I did my j-mod on the Bird because it's Daniela's DD; she's very happy with the performance. Trust me, she does NOT like neck-snapping shifts!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
see that's what i thought too... but i could only find those two..

suppose I'll have to check the toolbox again tomorrow, see if i cant find another one. either that or I'm sure the local dealership will have 1-2 acuum springs for a 4R70w in stock... theirs millions of them out their and they break a lot.

also my camera clock must be off >.> how did i take that picture in the future and post it 40 min in the past...

95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 08-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You can use that spring - it will work. Like I said ANY spring will make a difference.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
i would just wonder if it would stay in place. i don't want it rattling around in their. i know the ones i took out were tight as heck, the dang accum popped out with quite a bit of force when i removed the C clip.

hmmm after a bit of looking around i was able to find a picture from someone elses pulled accum...

now i know i dont have the right ones. i remember mine looked pretty much just like that >.>

pretty sure that at least the larger one i have is the blue one with its paint worn off... maybe i should just buy new ones >.> if its been used long enough for the paint to be gone like this its prolly worn out and ready to break anyway...

Last edited by nall_one; 08-28-2012 at 09:28 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Poster

Photo of 1-2 springs

Here are the stock springs. Sorry, I didn't have a dime in my pocket.

1996 TBird 4.6L stock - Pearl White (two thrown rods)
2005 GMC Yukon XL - DD
2003 Chevy Suburban - WDD
2002 F-150 4.6 - spare DD
2000 Saturn L 2.2L DOHC (blown engine)
1986 Toyota Camry (hope it blows up and disappears)
2004 Mercury Sable 3.0 V6

Last edited by fred96; 08-29-2012 at 11:55 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred96 View Post
Here are the stock springs. Sorry, I didn't have a dime in my pocket.

That link is messed up.....

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
i would just wonder if it would stay in place. i don't want it rattling around in their. i know the ones i took out were tight as heck, the dang accum popped out with quite a bit of force when i removed the C clip.

hmmm after a bit of looking around i was able to find a picture from someone elses pulled accum...

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/Ultimatesvt/101_1294.jpg

now i know i dont have the right ones. i remember mine looked pretty much just like that >.>

pretty sure that at least the larger one i have is the blue one with its paint worn off... maybe i should just buy new ones >.> if its been used long enough for the paint to be gone like this its prolly worn out and ready to break anyway...
Mine looked like that too. The longest one went on top (goes in first), then the accumulator, then the shorter spring. I put a blue spring on top of mine and the same purple one on the bottom that came out originally.

Ford has several springs for different applications - let me see if I can find my info sheet.....

Ok, from stiffest spring (harsher) to weakest (softest shift):

Brown - used in trucks
Light Green - 01-05 4R70W
Light Blue - 98-2000 4R70W
White - 1995-97 4R70W
Dark Blue - 1994 4R70W

I don't know how stiff that red one is in the pic! lol

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 08-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
hmmm, well i cant seem to find my old one anywhere, so i guess ill just have to visit the dealership.

that chart is helpful actually, i suppose i would want the light green. i don't want a soft squishy old man shift, but i still don't want the necksnapping "yikes it sounds like i broke something" no-spring shift either...

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Awww the no spring shift is fun!

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
yeah, its not so fun on the daily drive with an old 150k IRS system with loose bushings, failing CV axles, and super loose spider gears.

sure wish i could find a nice 3L27 near SE neb i could buy >.> get some thicker CVs from a super coop and replace the bushings... but still i just don't need the hard bumps tearing up my Ujoints and stuff.

also on my car its more of a vroooooom CLUNK/BANG/RATTLE/squawk! then anything fun and not embarrassing XD

ill have a light blue upper spring tomorrow, then maybe this weekend ill get my tokico's and that spring in their and have some fun. kind of wanted the light green but that would have taken longer to order >.>

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
hmmm, after reading back into the jmod articles and doing a bit of searching online i think i might have this all backwards... i need the lower accum spring back in. which would probably explain why i cant find the blue upper spring, i think i left it in the bore when i put everything back together as i was told on the articles...

am i right?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
hmmm, after reading back into the jmod articles and doing a bit of searching online i think i might have this all backwards... i need the lower accum spring back in. which would probably explain why i cant find the blue upper spring, i think i left it in the bore when i put everything back together as i was told on the articles...

am i right?
If you're trying to soften the shift, you need to put them BOTH back in.

The spring you put in the hole FIRST before you put the accumulator in will make the shift HARDER the stiffer it is.
The spring you put in AFTER the accumulator will SOFTEN the shift the stiffer it is. If you eliminate this spring, the shift will be HARDER than if you put it back in.

The faster the accumulator goes down the bore (like coming OUT of the hole), the harder the shift. Does all that make it any clearer?

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
very clear, it seems i need the lower spring then.

also while i was looking around it seems the 01-05 trans had two lower springs? it lists two at least... an inner and outer, i know its not something i need to worry about. but i thought it was interesting and sort of odd. its off a truck forum though, so maybe its just for trucks.

1L3Z-7F284-AA
1L3Z-7F284-BA

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
very clear, it seems i need the lower spring then.

also while i was looking around it seems the 01-05 trans had two lower springs? it lists two at least... an inner and outer, i know its not something i need to worry about. but i thought it was interesting and sort of odd. its off a truck forum though, so maybe its just for trucks.

1L3Z-7F284-AA
1L3Z-7F284-BA
Weird, I never noticed that! You sure they're not for two different applications (like maybe a v6 vs v8)? That doesn't make sense either, since you said inner & outer!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Probably just superceeded to the BA suffix....updated for some reason, both are 2001 F150

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Yeah, I put in a 01 truck bottom 1-2 for my soon-to-be ex-wifes 99 GT so she wouldnt complain about the shifts. She hates my Bird so much, especially the hard shifting Wierd thing about the 01 truck trans...it had two lower springs. One was inside of the other. I just used the larger (outside) diamter one on the stang. Thats probably where they are getting the "inner" and "outer" from. On the bird....no lower spring Those make for some real-man 1-2 shifts, lol.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yeah, I put in a 01 truck bottom 1-2 for my soon-to-be ex-wifes 99 GT so she wouldnt complain about the shifts. She hates my Bird so much, especially the hard shifting Wierd thing about the 01 truck trans...it had two lower springs. One was inside of the other. I just used the larger (outside) diamter one on the stang. Thats probably where they are getting the "inner" and "outer" from. On the bird....no lower spring Those make for some real-man 1-2 shifts, lol.
My bird is also missing the lower spring...IIRC has a blue or purple upper spring, and the holes drilled out to the J specs...also, line pressure is up with the tune...un-tuned stock line pressure, shifts feel strange and sluggish.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
got it back in. so much better now. oddly enough it still shifts quite well, you can definitely still feel it kicking into 2, but its not bone shaking, wheel chirping bad after 1/4 throttle anymore

a floor jack, half inch extension and a large socket worked quite well to push the accumulator back up into the bore and get that snap ring back in.

also ended up getting a new reusable trans pan gasket since unfortunate circumstances during my Jmod led to my original getting pitched in the bin... the cheep power-torque one from the filter kit i got was seeping... not leaking, but always wet around the gasket, and it started collecting crud...

yeah, don't leave your pan gasket in the parts washer for an extended period of time after cleaning your pan >.> some joker might toss it.... :P

anyway, everything's good now. time to track down a 3L27, some late mk8 shafts, and get the bushings all swapped out in the IRS system.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Here is side by side of Stock 96 1-2 Springs & Piston & the improved 1-2 Piston & Springs:

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in