transmission questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

transmission questions

The trans in my car, 94 Cougar 4.6, developed the famous shudder, and some erratic shifting. Today I did a flush and fill with Mercon V. The shudder is gone, the erratic shifting is still there. But I noticed this evening, as the outside temp dropped, and my engine ran cooler, the tranny shifted a lot better. Tomorrow I am going to install a tranny cooler. I still need to replace the accumulators and get the 96 pan. Am I just putting a band-aid on a bigger problem, or will this cure my shifting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Band-aid. There can be a few problems .. the 94 were known to have issues with the Torque converter clutch ( shudder ), and the Valve body has gone through several revisions over the years. Could have a broken spring in the accumulators also.

How is the shifting erratic ? Late shifts, no shifts ? Slips while shifting ?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

It will shift from OD to third and then back again, and sometimes will do it repeatedly, then just stop. Sometimes it will take its time shifting from 2nd to 3rd. But it's mainly the downshift from OD to third at 60 mph that worries me. And it only does it when the tranmission is warm. It does not do it when it's cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
MLPS

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 AM
PostWhore

Garage
yeah, i would try readjusting, or replacing the MLPS first.

but if you have/had the shudder, sounds to me like you need to find a 97+ trans and get that old roller clutch vibrating pile dropped out of their before the T/C locks up and leaves you stranded something to keep in mind. i mean the 95's and older are not known for their epic reliability. the shudder wont stay away for long >.>

i did they same thing with my 95, got my hands on her with tar in the trans from 118k of neglect. changed the fluid and the thing locked up solid not 10k later. i think i probably shocked the lip seals and stuff, but 'shrug' i love my mk8 trans, and i didn't have the repin the connector or anything. just leave the 1-2 spring in the accum if you DD.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Well i added a transmission cooler and changed the MLPS. Its shifting fine now, but now i have no reverse lights. I dont know what's up with that, they worked fine before i changed the MLPS.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

The MLPS is out of adjustment.

Amongst other things, it turns on the reverse lights.

The way to fix that is to a) get the car up where you can get under it (ideally on jack stands!), b) make sure that it can't roll or move, c) turn the ignition on (not start the car, just on!), d) set the car in REVERSE, and e) have someone behind the car let you know when the lights are on as you adjust the MLPS. After that, verify it CAN start in PARK and NEUTRAL, but nowhere else.

RwP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in