Yet more questions about J-Mod - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yet more questions about J-Mod

Ok, I just took apart a 2004 Mustang V6 4R70W and have pulled out the 1-2 accumulator. There was a Green spring on top and TWO springs on the bottom, a Dark Blue Inner springs and a Yellow Outer spring. After looking this up, it seems this is the combination used in 2001-05 4R70W's.

From my reading, I understand that those bottom springs control harshness under part-throttle conditions. On Daniela's car I have a Purple bottom spring which I see was used on 1995-97 4R70W's. Part-throttle shifts on hers is fine, but I don't like the WOT 1-2 shift and wish it was firmer.

So, now I'm getting ready to do my 1995 Mark VIII LSC j-mod, I've got the 2004 valve body and will drill out the plate to the 350-400hp specs. While I've got the tranny out, I'd like to do a few upgrades including mechanical diode, EPC solenoid, and Sonnax Sure Cure (includes pressure regulator valve, PR boost valve, 2-3 valve endplug, OD servo pin, intermediate clutch snap ring & some PTFE seals).

My questions:
1) Do I have to replace the whole reverse drum pack to install a mechanical diode?
2) Should I use the XL3P-7G383-AB 5.4L, 5C2Z-7G383-AB or original replacement EPC solenoid (I've read somewhere that later model EPC's don't work correctly with older ECM's)?
3) Can I use the shift solenoids from the 2004 main control?
4) I will keep the Green upper spring, but am considering leaving either ONE of the bottom springs out or BOTH - what would you do?
5) What else should I do since I'm doing these upgrades?
6) Are these different size alignment pins gonna be a problem or can I just bolt this 2004 control to my 1995 case?

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 10-29-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Nobody has any advice to give?

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
1) Yes.
2) Original replacement
3) Yes
4) Both
5) replace the whole trans with a newer one lol
6) You could probably make sleeves for the guides to place properly. I don't know if there's a for sure blockage or leak from having it misaligned, but I wouldn't risk it

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
1) Yes.
2) Original replacement
3) Yes
4) Both
5) replace the whole trans with a newer one lol
6) You could probably make sleeves for the guides to place properly. I don't know if there's a for sure blockage or leak from having it misaligned, but I wouldn't risk it
Thanks, Matt. I can't replace the whole tranny because the 2004 was in a v6 and has the Windsor bell housing, so I just took the valve body & accumulators w/springs.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I've given this a lot of thought and made some decisions.

I'm scared to put this valve body on an older 4r70w because of the roller clutch; I believe this valve body was designed for the mechanical diode equipped later-model 4r70w. Therefore, I'm going to get a 99- 4r70w to build right and use this 2004 valve body. The different size valve alignment pins is just the icing on the cake..... lol

I'll just j-mod my 1995 tranny in the LSC and run it 'till it blows up (just like I did my '95 Bird).

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in