overdrive slippage - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

overdrive slippage

Okay okay. So i dont know if my issue has been discussed and yes i did do a search but didnt find a definitive answer. I have a 97 tbird with the 3.8, well i have noticed that when im driving the car with the overdrive on the car will rev in an almost a neutral state to 3-4k rpms if i give the car more than 1/3rd throttle before it catches and goes. However, if i turn overdrive off then the trans suffers no type of slippage any any gear. Yes i have checked fluid. I am pretty mechanically inclined , however i have by no means ever been very trans or rear end savvy even though i do understand their basic design and function.
My question is what should i suspect to b the culprit. Overdrive bands, etc.

Oh and i havent had the car very long so im not sure how bad it would have been beat on lol. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
If it slips only in overdrive, then it's possible it's the band. One way to check would be to put it into manual 2 and see if it slips.

If it slips before you take off in 1st, then that's a different story. Having O/D lockout on or off has absolutely no effect on the lockup schedule or 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear's behavior. If it revs up and takes off with a bang in 1st, then your forward clutch is toast.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

In manual 1 and 2 and drive with OD off there is no slippage. In fact if im on interstate and need to pass someone i usually let of the gas and hit OD off wait for it to downshift (if i dont it revs (forgot that info lol)) then pass the car and then turn OD back on.

Oh if it matters car shows 162k

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 01-01-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GreenGoblin View Post
In manual 1 and 2 and drive with OD off there is no slippage. In fact if im on interstate and need to pass someone i usually let of the gas and hit OD off wait for it to downshift (if i dont it revs (forgot that info lol)) then pass the car and then turn OD back on.
I just recently developed that same problem and use the same workaround lol

I come from a dusty place.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Maybe there is scuffing/galling in the 3-4 shift actuator bore from the rod? Hard to know for sure. I'm no trans expert.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in