cold troubles - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

cold troubles

I own a 96 cougar and noticed about a month ago that at cold run 3rd gear doesn't want to engage, but only once. Once the car warms up it shifts alright.

Also I'm not sure if this is trany related, but I get a noticeable humming noise and some decent vibration while driving in any gear and any speed. I checked the engine, and aside from valve cover gaskets needing replacement, the engine looks sounds wonderful. No codes, so I've been dismissing it so long as it gets me where i need to go.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

-zigzag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Are you sure it's 3rd not engaging? Could it be the torque converter isn't locking up instead?

How about trying this. When you think you should be in 3rd but aren't, manually downshift to 2nd and see what happens.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I did what you suggested. I took it out of over drive and and took it down the road. It shifted into third, selected 2nd gear and it dumped into 2nd gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would leave OD on to test it. Drive it like normal and then when it's acting up, without changing anything else even so much as the throttle position, manually downshift to see if it downshifts.

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Tried what you asked.. 3rd gear does engage, and dumps into 2nd when I manually shift. The elongated 2nd gear only happens when I first run the car in the morning, or after its been sitting for a long period of time. Everything shifts alright after it happens the first time.

I'm wondering if the cold weather has anything to do with this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
When the transmission temperatures are less than 50 degrees (IIRC) when the engine is started, the torque converter will not lock. When the transmission temperature reaches 95 degrees, the converter will lock.

What you "normally" feel is 1-2, 2-3, converter lock, 3-4, converter lock.
What you feel in cold weather is 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.

You will also notice the engine revs easily with the converter unlocked in all the gears. What you are experiencing is normal; there is nothing wrong with your transmission.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in