Trans shudder gone after partial fluid change & BG additive - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Trans shudder gone after partial fluid change & BG additive

I didnít flush the trans. I only drained what comes out after removing the pan plug. However, the trans fluid has been changed a few times in the past, most recently about two years ago by my mechanic. With the car approaching 100K, I plan to change the fluid more frequently than recommended. Eventually, I will learn how to do a complete flush.

Anyway, I drained about 1 gallon of fluid out, then replaced it with 1 gallon of Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF, and added an 11 oz. can of BG ATC Plus. Iíve never used either of these products before, and wasnít expecting any noticeable improvement of any kind.

After driving the car for a few days, it dawned on me that the shudder was gone.

Have you ever had a similar experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Hope it lasts for you but in reality those additives cause additional clutch slippage removing the "shudder" by causing the clutch to burn up.
94 were horrible transmissions with even worse converters.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM
pendejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
Hope it lasts for you but in reality those additives cause additional clutch slippage removing the "shudder" by causing the clutch to burn up.
I 100% agree on this, If you don't care about the car or destroying the transmission and just want the shudder to go away, I used friction modifier. I didn't drain any fluid and added half a bottle to my Mark VIII, shudder is completely gone...

It's not a permanent solution and I'm sure it did more harm than good, but my car has too many issues to justify paying a shop for a tranny flush

"Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
94 were horrible transmissions with even worse converters.
Alan

Are any of the additives safe to use?

For example, "Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx" is mentioned in this article.

Transmission Fluid
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/trfluid.html

Thanks!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Are the additives safe to use? Yes. Are they necessary? No.

Just put Mercon V in it and call it a day.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusionģ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
I dont even use Mercon 5, I use fully synthtic fluid in all my vehicles and in customer vehicles I've never had to use the additives to fix shudder on a customers the new fluid usually does the trick

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'ôs ported manifolds
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Are the additives safe to use? Yes. Are they necessary? No.

Just put Mercon V in it and call it a day.

I'll try flushing and refilling with Mercon V... probably in the spring, unless I get some heat in my garage.

Thanks!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Converter Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
I dont even use Mercon 5, I use fully synthtic fluid in all my vehicles and in customer vehicles I've never had to use the additives to fix shudder on a customers the new fluid usually does the trick

Robert
The fluid you use is basically the same as what I use and meets merconV specifications.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post

Robert
Quote:
The fluid you use is basically the same as what I use and meets merconV specifications.
Alan
Are you guys talking about the Wynns synthetic?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusionģ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Converter Guy

Yes we are TM.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird94 View Post
Are any of the additives safe to use?

For example, "Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx" is mentioned in this article.

Transmission Fluid
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/trfluid.html

Thanks!
Shutter fix makes the fluid a bit slippery and treats the clutches. Lots of people who write reviews about it say how nice the tranny shifts after. What is does it makes everything smoother at the expense of heat and friction. It modifies the coefficient of static and kinetic friction. Think leaning your hand on wet surface, then adding a bit of soap. Much easier to slip, and there will not be any grabbing.

I've read that Ford limited slip additive works the same way. Not saying to use it, but in the mid 90s a shop owner I was friendly used it to used it to fix shudder in the taxis.

Sometimes fresh Mercon V does not fix the shutter. Beyond a misfire issue, the trans probably needs a new converter. I've seen those chemicals keep it going a few years though.

I know for a fact MANY trans shops here use lubegard red or black(black is to convert generic fluid). Anything by lubegard is very good stuff.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Converter Guy

Lubeguard red is to prevent valves from sticking, Lubeguard black is to convert dex3 to chrysler 7176, lubeguard green converts dex 3 to mercon V.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in