97 Mark VIII accumulator(s) style 5/97 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

97 Mark VIII accumulator(s) style 5/97

Anyone know the cutoff date or likelyhood that a 97 Mark VIII with a date of 5/97 would have the aluminum/oring accumulators, or the steel/bonded style?

I hope to one day take home this car (I put a deposit on it, waiting on title/lien). I know that my 97 Cougar had the old style (and it was stuck in the bore, had scuffed it, and had a broken spring) and that all 1998 Mark VIIIs had new style, but I thought that 97 it was a mid year change.

The date on my 97 Cougar is 08/96 so it was certainly an early 97.

When I drove it I expected a big different between it and my Cougar, but with the soft shifts it seemed slower (but likely was just less abrupt). I will be doing the JMod as soon as I can, the fluid smelled okay and according to the carfax it has 15,000 miles on it.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions

Last edited by Bangster; 12-19-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: man date of 97 Cougar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Get the tune updated to the latest stock tune; this cost me money at the dealer, but it helped.

I looked over the history on the black cougar; I took it to the dealer and had them update the stock tune. There was a tsb, and it fixed some of the issues. The jmod was a major upgrade with this tune.

I forgot about this, and recently replaced the stock tranny in my 97 tbird, and it was still sloppy after the swap.

The jmod and 02 tranny didn't help as much as it should have, but the tune I added fixed everything. I forgot about the Ford update for the Cougar, or would have known why the upgrade didn't help as much as I expected.

A tune will make a huge difference, but just getting the ford update will help.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Already had the new 2-3 accumulator, but it was really wedged in there, I had to work it for awhile to get it out. Still haven't gotten to the 1-2 but expect it to be correct.

The 2-3 retainer was very crooked, and I think the spring was not correctly in there.

--
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not undersatnding how you have updated 2-3 Accumulator & ANY Spring - I thought hot setup was NO 2-3 Spring w/updated 2-3 Accumulator__?

& My guess is yours came with the bad 1-2 Accumulator & was pronbably upgraded at some time being it's still alive - There were very little changes between 96 & EARLY 97 but DD always said half the later 97's he saw were up to 98 specs so...?

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I think it came with the updated accumulator pistons from the factory, I don't think the pan was ever removed not to mention the 1-2 accumulator or the VB. Still had the dipstick stopper and none of the pan bolts had any marks on them.

As it was built I expected the 2-3 lower spring and upper and lower 1-2 springs. The colors match what it should have been.

When I put it back together with new pistons I left out the 2-3 spring and lower 1-2 spring, and put in different F75Z-7F284-BA upper.

And I am not sure what part of the work I did solved my issues, but the 2-3 slowness is gone and it shifts nearly exactly as I want it to. It shifts great for my wifes type of driving (1/4 throttle or less, a lot less) and my driving (WOT every chance).

--
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Awesome~! - That doesn't "sound like" a 96-97 to me... That sure "sounds like" you have the better 97 with the 98 VB & hopefully the Mech Diode to boot - My thoroughly upgraded 96 that I did with the help of the great guys here drives like yours.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51637

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in