Dies when shifted into gear - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Dies when shifted into gear

Hey guys, I have a 96 bird. The car starts and runs flawlessly, but it dies the second that you put the car in drive or reverse. This started all of a sudden without warning. Car is stuck, cant move it. No check engine light. I havent changed any sensors yet. I was thinking tcc solenoid. I dont think its the transmission, at least not a hard part. This is Darrins old bird. Ive been driving it a little the past few months and it has shown zero signs of impending tc or trans issues. Does have a marauder converter. I was driving it very gently when this started and it had been driven very gently the last few months. It hadnt been over 3k rpm and honestly its usually driven at 10-20% throttle so I doubt I broke anything. Help me out fellas, I love this car and I hate to have to pay to flatbed it to a repair shop and look like a fool as they rob my hard earned $. There is no code and its had a complete tune up( all filters, plugs, wires). Could this be a weak fuel pump? It does start and run flawlessly.
When you put it in D or R it dies hard. No sputter, no chance of keeping it running so thats what leads me to think converter or tcc solenoid. I have checked every vac line and wire. What next? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you think the converter is locked all the time, can you get the car rolling a little and put it in gear? Or maybe start it in Neutral, give it a little gas and shift it into Drive? This is just to verify what you suspect is going on.

When I first saw the title, I was thinking you were saying it died cause it would idle so low - I've seen that before. I've never seen a Ford with a locked converter, but I have seen a Chevy like that.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately I cant get it rolling by myself & I have no help.
Theres no keeping it running at all in gear. Dies hard the sec it is placed in D or R. Like you turned it off. Could a bad tcc cause this? I havent been able to contact Darrin, I usually bother him with any questions. He built this tranny and its a bad boy. Im sure its not anything mechanical in the trans. Maybe that solenoid, maybe a failed converter. Its a marauder unit. Im about to give up and pay $200 to have it towed to a shop so they can tell me im f****d. I figure its a wire or bad tcc and the shop will diagnose it as a bad converter so ill spend a ton of $ for nothing. Somebody tell me what to do next. The car runs perfect. The drivetrain is awesome but just outta nowhere it dies when u put it in gear. Any way to disable that tcc solenoid? A wire I shoukd check? Lost here. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Boost!!!

jack up the rear. put it on jack stands, chock the front wheels, crank it and then put it in drive or reverse.

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
PostWhore

Garage
mine did the same thing, and i was suspecting the TCC solenoid as well. never did figure it out though, the trans was wasted and slipping in first anyway so i just swapped the whole lump.

can you get the RPMS up to like 3k and drop it in gear to go? i know i know... ouchy... i had too do that all the way home from college when mine started this of course i wasn't worried about the trans, if this is darrens car then its bound to have a nicely built monster under their you probably don't want to neutral bomb too much

like mod said, get it up on some SOLID stands, and some chalks under the front wheels and try the gears like that. if the wheels are spinning like mad at idle then your TC is most likely staying locked.

otherwise, i would definitely start with a TCC solenoid and a fluid change before you dig into anything serious. cheep and simple.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate the help guys. I will get the rear end up and see what happens. If the tc is wasted then will it still die as soon as I put it in gear? Or should it start spinning the rear tires? And yeah, I wont neutral drop it. Tranny is strong & its a bad boy. Im certain it is something to do with the converter, hopefully somethin minor. I will update you guys the minute I know anything.

Last edited by gregvandy; 01-11-2013 at 07:39 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
5th Gear Poster

Mine did the same thing I'm sure u can find a post about it. I reset the battery and it ran fine. Don't no what happened but it worth a try. Then about 3 months latter it started happening a gain so I cleaned the iac vaule and it stopped. It drove fine untill I toasted the tc. I hope u get her running again.

1997 Thunderbird 4.6L
New paint on tops, Magnaflow high flow cat system and custom 2 - 2 1/2 Exhaust ,J-Mod and P.I. head and intake swap(performed by RobertP @ www.RobsTireAndAuto.com ) Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Mark VIII TC, AEM dry flow air filter, Blacked out tail lights and custom painted headlights (performed by my wife) tuned by DON at http://www.lasotaracing.com/

waiting to hear theses kooks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391835...rd-lx-coupe-2d
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks buddy, how long does the battery need to be unhooked? I let it sit about 30 mins unplugged but no change. I will try cleaning the iac. I want to exhaust every option before I tear it apart.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Sure sounds like the converter is not unlocking. DirtyDog and I had that issue on one we put in my car once (long story).

My worry would be why it is not unlocking. It could be as simple as a bad TCC solenoid, wiring issue, etc... or it could be as bad as a loss of pressure in the TCC circuit.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

I am hoping to find a loose/bad connection but I dont see anything obvious. It will be monday or tuesday before I can get the car inside and take it apart . No codes showing. I take it a failed tcc solenoid can cause this? I really think the trans is ok due to the fact that it never once acted weird. The tranny and the tc functioned flawlessly until all of a sudden. My understanding is that the converter itself can fail suddenly and unexpectedly without warning but I would think it wouldve showed some kind of symptom prior to this. It was just cruising down the highway. Car hadnt seen more than 3k rpm even once recently. This all leads me to think that this is likely not failure of a hard
part but more likely a switch/sensor/wire issue. Its all speculation until I can get it rolled up the hill into the garage & I need help for that. Just cant get it in the air up next to the curb.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Hire a roll back to scoop it up and back it up to the garage. They won't even have to chain it down (if it's at the curb at your garage).

I had my car rescued once and had the driver back right up to the garage and we rolled it right inside off the tilt bed.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Good idea Driller, I just called, its $30 so theyre on the way now. I could deal with the cold and snow but doing much work to it at the curb in my neighborhood would be kind of dangerous, make the neighbors mad & just a pain in the ass. I have been dying to work on the car and its killing me sitting out there. I never let it sit unprotected and I keep it off the nasty salty roads here. Driveways pretty steep but should be easy for a rollback. I hope to have some good news this evening, will update.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Just to update. I took it to a shop. They say the torque converter is bad.
I would question that but ive known the shop owner for years and he diagnosed it himself.
Its a stock 2004 marauder tc. Locked up without warning. Been in car about 2 years and didnt have many miles on it. Who knows? Gotta weigh my options now, they want a small fortune for labor to change it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in