Trans shudder - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Trans shudder

Hey guy's one question. My wife's 95 t-bird trans shudders. Should I drain it and put merc v in it. Or should I put a 96-97 trans in it. Do I have to change anything to make the 96-97 trans work in a 95. Thanks any help would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Fresh Mercon V will most likely fix the shudder. If you are willing to go through the effort to replace the entire trans, find one from 1999 or newer, preferably 2003 or 2004. The swap is well documented.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 PM
PostWhore

You need to get all the old fluid out. I'm talking drain the torque converter and drain/flush the lines going to the cooler in the rad. Then use only Mercon V and you'll be good to go. Given the amount of work in swapping the tranny, you should change the fluid first as there is a really good chance the problem will go away, it's a well-known issue.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yep, got to get all of that old fluid out, mixing dex/merc, and mercV in my fathers ranger made it start slipping in and out of gear and shifting really funny. we had no choice really... we were stuck in the middle of nowhere towing a car back, when she started dumping fluid from the pump seal. all we could get was gas station dex/merc...

its quite simple since we do have a drainable TC, which is super nice. the only problem is getting all the fluid out of the valve body. but that's a tiny bit of fluid and you probably wont have an issues with it mixing.

theirs always flushing machines as well. some shops don't charge too much, and if its a decent machine, they work quite well. BG's machines use a box with a diaphragm inside that is filled with fresh fluid, and the trans will pump out old fluid on the other side of the diaphragm, using the pressure of the oil pump in the trans to push the fresh fluid out of the box, and into the trans. they work well.

otherwise its been said that the machines with their own pumps will sometimes stir up sediment from inside the trans and kill it. not sure if its true, but its something to consider. especially on a high millage trans that might have a weaker pump inside. i guess the weaker they are the more metal filings and things they let settle around the inside of the trans. and when you put a pump on their forcing fluid in at a much faster rate, it can stir all that stuff back up and circulate it through your valve-body. especially if the magnet in the pan is piled with filings.

otherwise that being said, the 95 trans is indeed a big pile of garbage, but unless its slipping real bad or has valve body noise or something, i would run it till it dies before going through the hassle of swapping in a new one. but when it dose die, anything 98 and up is an excellent swap(mechanical diode clutches, better valve body). 97's are still quite good as well and they don't require a repin if that intimidates you. but its a crap-shoot whether or not you will get the mechanical diodes or not, which you DO want. i know mine has them, but I'm pretty sure mine was actually a late 97 early 98 MK8 trans.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 01-06-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in