TQ converter bad? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to m1911a1
TQ converter bad?

Hello everyone! I have what I think is TQ converter issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!
These are the issue I am having. When driving the shift from 1st to 2nd is fine but then when the trans should shift into 3rd is continues to rev. I can the left off throttle and it will shift into 3rd. But once its in 3rd if i give it any more throttle it will free rev like im in neutral, then down shift to 2nd then back into 3rd. Once I get up to high way speeds it will hold OD and feel normal. But as im costing the engine will rev up and down as its slowing.
The trans and converter have 130k on them. Fluid was changed about 10k ago and around every 20k before that, always with merV. The fluid is full and looks new and is not brunt at all. I've replaced the MLPS and the TPS thinking that would fix it. But it hasnt.
At this point I'm just trying to figure out do I need to have the trans rebulit or just swap in a new converter? I would hate to do all the work replacing the converter only to find out that I have the same issues.
Thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I might be wrong, but I don't think that is a TC type problem. If it was a lockup problem, then it would just be not locked, and just have the engine at 150(ish) rpm higher.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replay! I did a lot of searching before I asked, and one thing that seamed to fit my issues was a bad direct drive band. But if that was the case wouldn't the trans fluid be brown from the clutch material??

Last edited by m1911a1; 01-20-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM

Thats exactly what the tranny in my mark did before it died. I dont know exactly what went wrong but it was just wore out. If you plan to keep that car, seek out the experts on this site and get you a good tc and trans. Get it right the first time. Just my opinion but I am no expert. I think the tranny is just worn out. 130K is a lot of miles on a stock one. I have had converters fail and done my research. I dont think a tc can cause youre issues. I hope its something cheap and easy but I am afraid its not. Hopefully an expert will chime in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
That is not a torque converter issue, that is a transmission failure. Start looking for a replacement or for someone to rebuild it for you.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

130k on a properly maintained transmission even with severe duty isn't much. I am at 220k on my 2000 Grand Marquis and it is still chugging along fine. It is starting to leak transmission fluid out the the bell housing, so the pump likely is starting to leak.

None of the issues you are experiencing seem to fall into the normal issues seen with your year transmission, things that can be solved with a pan drop and accessible item like accumulator piston or pressure valve.

I just spent 200 bucks in parts and fluid to see if I can get mine shifting right (2-3 shift if I let off the gas at WOT at shift it goes to neutral). It is a new to me vehicle with 112k miles. The fill plug was still in the pan, however Carfax shows it had a flush at the dealership at 90,000 miles. The fluid was a little dark, didn't smell burnt, and there was minimal to no fine particles on the magnet, no chunks or shavings, and minimal material coating the bottom of the pan.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the help. I was hoping not to hear that the trans is probably dead. But I guess that is what I'm looking at. So guess I will be saving up for a rebuilt trans, and waiting till spring to start pulling it all out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in