4r70w took a dump on me on high way - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

4r70w took a dump on me on high way

first it scared the out of me because the whole rear locked up on me. i put on the bell housing off of a t-5 trans and it started. i am glad because it would have been the whole power train issue. but when i was under the car droping the trans there was a crack in the case close to the pan. it seems like there was some thing internal went wrong.i took the pan off there was a whole bunch of slugy metal. it has been running cool because it has a trans cooler hooked up to it. my dad got it when he first got it new had the dealer put it on with a filter hook up for it. my question is what can i get i mean can i get a 95 and up remand one or do i need to get the same year trans?can i get a newer one i can get the newer parts in side. like a mustang one for my cougar xr-7 it is a v8 4.6 modle. of i got a mustang type do i need to find a donor car for the sensors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Get a 99 or newer 4R70w From a Mustang or non-police Crown vic/Grand Marquis. You just need to repin the main connector and swap the TCC solenoid and MLPS.

As for the rest... what???

-Matt
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
I'm going to start deleting threads entirely w/o notice if I see more of this incoherent babble. It's getting out of hand and surely insults the intelligence of anyone reading it that is capable of giving the person the advice he/she is asking for.

Repeat after me....

The way I hear it in my head (and typed out as such) as if I was talking to someone in real life is not how it comes across on the internet.

The way I hear it in my head (and typed out as such) as if I was talking to someone in real life is not how it comes across on the internet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
In other words: Please attend a public speaking class.

But if you got a T-5 Bellhousing to get your car started, you are beyond my level of expertise.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

How is that hard to read? hahaha

It took me awhile to get the fact that he removed the existing locked up transmission and bolted on a T5 bellhousing and starter to verify that the engine still turned over (which I call shenanigans on).

Yes, the rest is pretty incoherent, and I know incoherent as I have posted quite a few of those in the last week here (or they must be because they didn't get much traffic).

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
I mean jeez, we don't expect APA style formatting or anything like that, but have some common decency when being the one to ask others for free help.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM
4th Gear Poster

You guys warm the cockles of my heart.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

sorry to ask i had a old bell housing off to the side i didnt have a use for it was for a 4.6 so it was a direct bolt up. wanted to see if there was rod problems or any thing. i am sorry to ask about the 4r70w and what to get a direct replacment or a newer designed one. i think the remand one will have all new updated parts in it. sorry to ask and sorry to others to see the wise cracks on trying to help. xr7-4.6 thank you for the help i wanted to ask if there was any electrical conectors i needed. that what i was asking as well thank you for the heads up on the transmission
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95mercxr7 View Post
first it scared the out of me because the whole rear locked up on me. i put on the bell housing off of a t-5 trans and it started. i am glad because it would have been the whole power train issue. but when i was under the car droping the trans there was a crack in the case close to the pan. it seems like there was some thing internal went wrong.i took the pan off there was a whole bunch of slugy metal. it has been running cool because it has a trans cooler hooked up to it. my dad got it when he first got it new had the dealer put it on with a filter hook up for it. my question is what can i get i mean can i get a 95 and up remand one or do i need to get the same year trans?can i get a newer one i can get the newer parts in side. like a mustang one for my cougar xr-7 it is a v8 4.6 modle. of i got a mustang type do i need to find a donor car for the sensors?
Wow. I'm saving this one as a fine example of how not to post.

The quote below was directed at a few other members here years ago but the words apply just the same to everyone here who posts. Don't take it personally, just strive to do better that's all we're asking. Best wishes getting your trans fixed.

Please read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Most all of us are adults, grown men with families and real lives. We appreciate intelligence and forethought. We have not a problem one with "kids" who come on here with genuine desire to learn and understand more about their cars and who will ask reasonable questions. We encourage that and are always more than happy to oblige. But we don't take well to kids who come on here and talk like we're their high school buddies or other geek lamerz in the WOW chat rooms. Speak English and with reasonable punctuation and spelling and it will go a LONG way to getting you treated like the adult you aspire to be one day.

Stick with stupid internet lingo and barely discernible pseudo-English vernacular, and you'll be treated like the immature kids you exhibit. Nuff said.

-Sir William

http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=28

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-25-2013 at 06:34 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95mercxr7 View Post
sorry to ask i had a old bell housing off to the side i didnt have a use for it was for a 4.6 so it was a direct bolt up. wanted to see if there was rod problems or any thing. i am sorry to ask about the 4r70w and what to get a direct replacment or a newer designed one. i think the remand one will have all new updated parts in it. sorry to ask and sorry to others to see the wise cracks on trying to help. xr7-4.6 thank you for the help i wanted to ask if there was any electrical conectors i needed. that what i was asking as well thank you for the heads up on the transmission
Its been covered many many times.

Depending on the year, you may also need a different speedometer gear for the output shaft or a speed-cal. I have found using the correct speedo gear will still throw the speedo off and may not shift 1-2 at WOT - in this case, a slight J-mod was done to the trans to force the shift before the engine hits the rev limit. Also the Manual valve will need to be re-used from the Tbird. The TC may also be the smaller 11" unit in which case a Mark flexplate will be necessary.

Youre welcome.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Some people just aren't good with writing and/or typing language; please let him slide mods.

We got the jest of what he is saying and he's getting some help here and that's what this board is good at!

Personally, I would pull a tranny from a low mileage granny 4R70W like a Grand Marquis. Those are babied more than a Mustang will ever be.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

i have a hard time typing and i kind of a idiot with punctuation. when i type so please don't take it harshly about my typing. plus i do kind of a idiot some times when i get off of a 80 hr work week and ask about some thing when it bugs me when i pull in with my other car. tired typing yea i know don't do it.

sorry i am instead of i kind of sorry

Oh i forgot, the t-5 bell housing is off of my mustang that has a t-56 now. I kept the t-5 bell housing because the guy who bought the 5-speed from me said he just needed the trans and not the bell housing and i didn't argue. not just that it bolts to both 4.6 and don't have to worry if i went with a 5-speed hook up. But i wouldn't do the swap to my cougar but may be swap another 5-speed in a t-bird. but thank you for the input sctbird94 for more info on other aspects on the 4R70W. i did forget it is a 94 mercury XR7 with the 4.6 in it runs great besides what happened to the trans. thanks Netkeym about the Grand Marquis as well.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-26-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Merge posts & run spell check to quick fix errors
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Chundaburrrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Some people just aren't good with writing and/or typing language; please let him slide mods.

We got the jest of what he is saying and he's getting some help here and that's what this board is good at!

Personally, I would pull a tranny from a low mileage granny 4R70W like a Grand Marquis. Those are babied more than a Mustang will ever be.
Plus 1.
I'm not the best with punctuation myself (although that's pretty rough). I would hate to have my question deleted bc I'm not as good at proper grammer as most. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm sure it could've been a little better???
As far as the question(s) go that should be easy, the subject and ones closely related have been covered dozens of times. 'Quick search' is almost an understatement.

5 angle valve job, full port job npi heads decked, pi cams, pi intake, Cai, 2.25 true dual no cats flowmaster 40s, sct x4, 17 inch cobra r replicas
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Wow... I understood him.... maybe it wasn't perfect grammar or worded but.. Chill.. There are people with disorders in the world... This seem like the place is going downhill quickly.....

Last edited by tee-bird; 01-26-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: ................
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-bird View Post
Wow... I understood him.... maybe it wasn't perfect grammar or worded but.. Chill.. There are people with disorders in the world... This seem like the place is going downhill quickly.....
Cool .. thanks .. for ... the ... advice ....
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Cool .. thanks .. for ... the ... advice ....
............. ...............
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
To the OP:

Searching for "+4r70W +tranny +swap" will give you tons of threads to search thru for info.

Almost everyone here has swapped, modded, or otherwise upgraded the original transmissions at this point.

I went thru this years ago; searching my post will give you pretty much all the info that's out there, because I went back and corrected most of my stupid questions and bad info.

Any post that takes more than a second to parse isn't going to get an answer from me; it's pretty easy to be clear if you want to be.

Short version of Transmission swap:

Up to 03 4R70W can be used; an 03 may or may not have the gear on the tailshaft, to use it in our cars, it must have this gear.

A professional can successfully swap the tailshaft; if you're a noob posting here, most likely you can't.

You have to replace some internal components with parts from the original transmission; you need both, apart, side by side at the same time.

94/95 need the electrical guts, or serious rework. See Jerry's thesis.

You have to repin the harness for most swap combinations.

This is just the Deal-Breaker Sh*t.

There's a lot more to find about this here, if you .

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Interesting info thank you Grog6. I pretty much had 5 speeds i am new to the whole auto type and it is a different beast to me. To be honest my dad before he gave the cougar to me he let my brother drive it till he got a civic. I have a incoling that he was heck on the car because i had to tear down the engine and put it back to gether back at 150k but didnt think on having the trans looked at do to the fluid was still in good condition. When i changed the fluid after the rebuild of the engine. i should have had a shop take a look at it sooner so they could see some thing but it is all in the air now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in