Is Transgo to blame? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Smile Is Transgo to blame?

Just bought a 2000 Mustang GT, cammed, geared, and stalled.

Let me give you a quick rundown. The previous owner had the VB built with a Transgo SK. Turns out the trans would no longer shift properly. The shop replaced the VB with a donor, once again installed the Transgo SK, but also upgraded to Red Alto Clutches, Kevlar Band, HD pump and so on. And a 3500 Edge TC. Using a dyno tune the line pressure was also bumped.

Well the trans doesnt shift THAT good considering. The TC randomly unlocks any speed under 45 MPH, thinking it might have something to do with load because I have 4.10s and it requires very little gas to maintain speed. But im not too sure because at times it allows me to coast with the TC still locked up and ZERO throttle.

Under quick part throttle acceleration the trans shifts to fourth, but then it seems like shifts back to third for a split second, then immediately into fourth, OR considering its a 3500 stall it might be just the converter freaking out before lockup.

Oh yeah the shop used Dexron III instead of Merc 5 saying that it isnt recommended for the high performance parts used in the rebuild!

These are my plans/thoughts. Do a full flush replacing the regular Merc with Merc 5. completely replacing the transgo VB with a stock unit, with a j mod of course! and installing a trans cooler as well.

Think this would cure my problems?? Any other thoughts/inputs/questions are gratefully welcomed

One more thing, the trans has ~5000-6000 miles on it since the rebuild.

Lucas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Mercon V - ALWAYS - in the 4R70W. Check out RobertP's build with his sub-10.00 passes running a 4R70W with, yep, the Ford spec Mercon V in a high performance build. If the shop that recommended Dexron III is the shop that did the work on the trans, well... let me just say I'd be suspicious of them touching my stuff...

Yes, ditch the butchered trash-go valve body and get some Merc V in there. The random TC unlocking could be a symptom of the extra holes in the valve body and/or raised pressure (how much higher? setscrew on the EPC messed with?), but there's always the possibility it's a fubar'd tune as well. Gotta rule out the mechanical (hydraulic) problems first though - and that begins with the correct fluid and a J-spec valve body.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Brandon Robert and us Carolina Crew run Wynn's synthetic . Robert gets it by 55 gallon drum I believe .

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It still meets the Mercon V specification; I use the Valvoline equivalent myself.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Yes it exceed the Mercon 5 spec, works any automatic trans I've used it in BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, everthing but cvt transmissions

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I'm curious what your car's stalled at and where the converter came from (Brand)?

I talked to Rob last night. He can ship you my VB as soon as I receive payment.

You should call him to discuss getting the rest of the J-mod Kit (Accumulators, springs, etc.)

You can reach him at the shop at: 910-947-7044

-Ron

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 02-16-2013 at 09:21 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks guy for all the responses/suggestions.

Any one have any idea of the what all the Trans-Go kit includes, does it ONLY modify the VB? or do i need to remove any other parts, like accumulators, springs, etc.?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Hey Ron,

So he could ship it out as early as today? If so, I will go ahead and send payment!

My trans is a 2000, is there any need to update the revised accumulators/springs? assuming the trans-go kit hasnt replaced these already. I plan on removing the bottom 1-2 and the 2-3 spring as well.

I am making close to the 330 HP, plus with the TC soaking up the harshness, i dont imagine it could be TOO harsh...right?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas287 View Post
Hey Ron,

So he could ship it out as early as today? If so, I will go ahead and send payment!

My trans is a 2000, is there any need to update the revised accumulators/springs? assuming the trans-go kit hasnt replaced these already. I plan on removing the bottom 1-2 and the 2-3 spring as well.

I am making close to the 330 HP, plus with the TC soaking up the harshness, i dont imagine it could be TOO harsh...right?
No, not today, probably some time next week.

Nice HP number there.

I'm curious what TC you have and what it's stalled at?

No, it won't be too harsh with a high stall TC. You'll be very pleased with the J-mod and a VB that hasn't been hacked up.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 02-16-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Merge posts
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Monday

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
No, not today, probably some time next week.

Nice HP number there.

I'm curious what TC you have and what it's stalled at?

No, it won't be too harsh with a high stall TC. You'll be very pleased with the J-mod and a VB that hasn't been hacked up.
Thanks man, it runs pretty good! Low 13's After I rebuild the exhaust and find a tuner that can tune worth a crap, MAYBE MAYBE high 12's.

I have an Edge 3500. NO COOLER, so some of these shifting issues might be due to high temps. working on a deal with RobertP for his Hayden 679.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Great Cooler. Darren, Rob, myself and others all run that cooler on our cars.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Awesome! Good to hear!, it needs to because these Texas summers are pretty brutal!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas287 View Post
Thanks guy for all the responses/suggestions.

Any one have any idea of the what all the Trans-Go kit includes, does it ONLY modify the VB? or do i need to remove any other parts, like accumulators, springs, etc.?
No the Trans-go kit I saw used a weird External pressure relief that required a hole drilled ino the valve body ...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
No the Trans-go kit I saw used a weird External pressure relief that required a hole drilled ino the valve body ...
Good to know, thats why im buying a new valve body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in