transmission problem? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

transmission problem?

I'm new to this site. I have a 1994 cougar Xr7. for a while now the transmission has been acting funny. When i put it to the floor at a low speed it will slip out of second and slam into third. But lately when i am going about 50 mph and put it to the floor it will just stumble and seem like there's nothing there. Some people have told me that it wont down shift and replace the whole transmission. i'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or if there's a easy fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would try cleaning the MAF and maybe disconnecting it first and see what happens, lots of engine issues seem to be transmission issues. If the engine isn't running well, the transmission won't shift well.

94 wasn't the greatest year for this transmission (obviously through the years they have improved upon it, up to what, 2012 nearly 20 years?), and there are a few common problems that can be fixed with a pan drop and a valve body drop (1-2 and 2-3 accumulator piston and springs, worn pressure regulators and boosters, etc), or it could just be worn out.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch. Ill try it when i get home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
you need to baby that transmission especially if you don't know the service history of it. It will leave you stranded when you least want it to.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
PostWhore

I have to ask... have you checked the level and condition of the transmission fluid? Check for proper level when the vehicle is warmed up, running in park. Also, smell it to see if it smells like fluid or burnt. Also check the color of the fluid, shouldn't be too dark. Let us know.

And as guitar said, drive it nice until you get this resolved, you don't want to make things worse by driving aggressively.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM
PostWhore

Garage
i would definitely try to figure out if the motors running well first. in a perfect world that motor should go and the trans should try to keep up behind it. their are some trans things like shift points and kick-down that are controlled by the engine sensors. but by no means will the motor quit or run funny if the trans is toast unless something goes horribly wrong with the torque convertor and it locks up solid instead of spinning freely. then again, on the old solid aluminum intake, they tend to be laggy all the time, running well or not. definitely MAF cleaning, plugs and wires, vacuum leaks, etc.

cars that hop out of gear, or slam in hard are usually a trans problem, but cars stumbling or falling flat on their face is a sign of something motor related to me. and a lot of those slips are fluid level related, be it low, or even overfull. and everyone hers right, driving a trans while slipping or low on fluid will destroy it, especially driving hard. you'll tear up your clutch-packs and contaminate the fluid with excess clutch material. you' also burn the fluid, which you can smell. its awful smelling, especially if its mercV which smells terrible fresh...

that being said, those 95 and down 4R70W's are horrible, and if your having issues with it sliding into gear or slipping out, its most likely toast. check the fluid... perhaps change it for some mercV and hope for the best is all you can really do. otherwise a 98+ trans with a harness repin will treat you so much better.

of course if your turning while accelerating and it slips out it could very well be your trans pan and filter. the 96+ pan has a deep sump tube and dimple that pickup fluid at a lower level in the pan eliminating the dry sump issues when taking hard turns on the 95 and older setups.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 03-01-2013 at 06:29 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs down

Sounds like a DOA early 4R70w to me... as Nall-One says start shopping for a 98+ QUICK ~!

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 03-03-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: sp
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Moderator &amp;amp; Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
Sounds like a DOA early 4R70w to me... as Nail-One says start shopping for a 98+ QUICK ~!
Yup....no sense in prolonging the inevitable---especially the the owner is flat-footing it every chance he gets, lol.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
Sounds like a DOA early 4R70w to me... as Nail-One says start shopping for a 98+ QUICK ~!
that's two L's thank you NALL

that being said, i agree with myself, buck and GM, at least get yourself a trans repined and lying on the garage floor ready for a quick swap. if you have access to wiring schematics re-pinning any new 4R70W is simple. newer the better.

and always check the 1-2 accumulator springs before swapping it in, just to be safe. last thing you want is to swap it in, fill it with expensive MercV then find it wont shift right in 1-2 because the springs are busted.

and make sure you change the TCC solenoid! otherwise you'll be in the market for a new ECM as well.

oh, and DONT throw away the pan gasket, the newer ones are reusable and MUCH MUCH better then any of the cheepo rubber junk you will get with a filter kit at the parts desk... trust me, save yourself a future leak and keep the old one if it has no visible signs of damage to the rubber. otherwise the dealership will sell you a new one for a decent price.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in