Proper Drain Prodecure without TC plug - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Proper Drain Prodecure without TC plug

I have an Edge 3500 stall without the nifty drain plug.

Tomorrow I am changing out my Transgo VB for a JMOD VB and swapping over to Amsoil from regular Mercon. I would like to get rid of mostly all of the old Merc,

So what is the best way to do this, without the drain plug on the TC??

Thanks.

2000 Mustang GT-HiTech Stage 2 Cams, 4.10s, 31 spline, 3500 Edge, Lowered, 315 DRs, Custom Tuned, Full Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
One option is to remove the top line to the radiator heat exchanger and run a hose over the end into a pan while someone starts the car. As soon as you get bubbles have them shut off the car.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If the front end of the car is jacked with the rear still on the ground, then a lot of the fluid will drain out of the torque converter when you take the valve body out. Another option is to drill a small hole in the converter and then tap it with an NPT tap and put a plug in it, then you will have a drain plug in the future.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I'm going to do the drill and tap thing to my dirty dog converter whenever I do a fluid change again. Sucks how 01+ converters don't have this

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm going to do the drill and tap thing to my dirty dog converter whenever I do a fluid change again. Sucks how 01+ converters don't have this
I would NEVER do that with TC assembled & personally I'm not dissassembling my DD TC - IMO it aint worth it - I'm not sure there's enough depth clearance for Tap with TC assembled & you're not gonna know until after you drill hole & PRAY no Drilling shards went inside TC - You are gonna screw up your DD Balance job w/plug... ETC>>> - You can screw up BAD just running Pipe Plug in too far on older TC's that came with Drain Plug.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 03-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Im going to do it. I have talked with a few transmission builders about it. They said the draining fluid would rinse out any small shavings that went inside. Shavings wont even be able to enter until the bit finally breaks through, when a 15 minute stream of ATF comes running down. When tapping with NPT, I'm going to smother the tap in vaseline and clean every few turns. The people I have discussed this with also said balance would not be an issue, although I see what you are saying.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in