3-4 shift flare - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
3-4 shift flare

I don't know if this just started but it seems very noticeable since I started driving the bird again. Unless I am very light on the throttle, rpms climb while I wait for od to engage. Is the 3-4 not happening as quick as it used to? Seems like it takes 1-2 seconds now, plenty of time for rpm to rise. This higher rpm makes the engagement of od harsh. I don't think the problem is related to the marauder converter. What should I check out next? Thanks in advance!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
6th Gear Poster

Question

I'd ask myself what was last thing you did w/Tranny & when ?

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

June or so put in the marauder TC but Ive been driving the jag since oct

-Rob
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

As you don;t know when this started then my guess is you are just noticing it more w/ better TC ( I have similar fm DD) - This can't be good for Band & hopefully it's not already toast - OD Servo area collects debris like crazy for whatever reason - You may want to drop Main VB - Secure band with something wedged up in there & change out / upgrade OD Servo ( I did O-Ringed Sonnax at rebuild) - Needless to say you'd inspect Main VB too & double check JMOD.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

With the sonnax servo, is there a slipping feeling before you get into od? I didnt expect this converter to cause this symptom. I don't want to replace the band anytime soon. Would it be better to use newer ford parts?

-Rob
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
With the sonnax servo, is there a slipping feeling before you get into od? I didnt expect this converter to cause this symptom. I don't want to replace the band anytime soon. Would it be better to use newer ford parts?
I never had "OD Slip"on my original 96 at 135K Miles - Od Band was in good shape - I just blew up POS Roller Cutch... & when I rebuilt I went to the larger OD & upgraded Sonnax Parts - If you've cooked your OD Band then you have no choice so it aint about "wants".

- I see yours is 96... certainly you have done more to original Tranny than JMOD & upgraded TC right ____?

- If not you would have done rebuild when you had it out for new TC right____?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
I just had my trans rebuilt because it was slipping going into OD, It turns out the Direct Drum was bad
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Do you have any issues going into manual 2 from 3? Manual 2 uses the OD band...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

I havent gone manual 2 to 3 in a LONG time. Ill try that on the way back to work. This is a 01+ Crown vic trans with 3200 Dirtydog and Jmod (didnt touch OD servo). OD holds just fine so I think the band is good. Its just the neutral feeling for a second or two before it grabs that bugs me. With very light throttle, the 3-OD transition is almost seamless. Heavier throttle and the rpms climb until the apply. High RPMs during apply equals a jerk when it does engage.

-Rob
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 PM
6th Gear Poster

Question

I'm pretty sure 2001 would already have the larger Diameter OD Servo, but as I said they do trap debris up there above the Servo so... ?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Sounds like a good area to check out. I did manual 1-2-3 yesterday and the shifts are flawless. Would having the TC locked during the 3-4 cause any problems? Getting a tune soon, wondering if this is something that should be addresses then as well

-Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in