Rebuild time is near - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Rebuild time is near

My transmission isn't going to last a whole lot longer. I plan on buying one and rebuilding it. My friend has a 4r70w that I have not yet bought but plan to. I want to rebuild this to handle a bit more power and I have NO experience with autos. So, I've compiled a list of parts that I think will be needed that I've found through research and would like some input on what I've missed. (Because I'm sure I've missed some)

This is the rebuild kit I was looking at.

From this site.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aode.htm

AODE / 4R70W Combo Kits

#K6. Fits Ford 4R70W transmissions, 1993 - 2002. You get the #5-4R70W Alto Red Eagle master rebuild kit for 4R70W transmissions. It comes with all Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels, high performance direct RedEagle PowerPack, the #8 AODE / 4R70W Fairbanks high performance TransAction kit. This TransAction kit includes a newly designed OD servo piston and a no leak performance design 2-3 accumulator piston. Includes steel boost valve and sleeve to replace worn OEM valve. This is the same kit we use in the Interceptor transmissions. Both for $417.00

Along with that I "think" these parts will be needed.
(Click to enlarge)

4R70W Carbon Fiber Overdrive Band. Cost $22.50

4R70W New Borg Warner Low / Reverse Band. Cost $29.70

4R70W pressure control solenoid. Fits 1992 - 1997 or 1998 up transmissions

Dominator" heavy duty torque converter for AODE / 4R70E transmissions. Good up to 400 horse power. 1800 stall speed $164.25. Can be ordered with a 2500 or 2800 stall speed for $255.00. This is a 11 3/4 inch converter with a 10 1/2 inch bolt pattern. The #13 and #13XX converters will not interchange because the flexplates are different.

Extreme Duty mechanical diode conversion kit for 1992 - 1998 AODE and 4R70W transmissions. Cost $137.70

Extreme Duty hard intermediate shaft for AODE / 4R70W transmissions. Cost $134.00

That's all I can think of and I know there is more. I "want" to push around 550 HP through it but realistically I'll likely only ever get to around 400. So, thanks in advanced, because I'm a SUPER N00B when it comes to automatics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
̇

Garage
IMO a lot of that stuff on TransmissionCenter.net is overpriced..

Do yourself a favor, and get in touch with SilverFox..

He can put a killer kit together for you..Just tell him you want a 4R70W-700 rebuild kit..Which should be good for up to 500 Hp..Possibly more..

Whatever parts not included in his kit can be purchased at WITT seperately..

Some of the more High Performance transmission parts you can't find at WITT..You might have to pick up at TransmissionCenter.net

That should help you save some $$$$$..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well I'm still not sure I'm to the level of being able to rebuild it myself. From what I'm seeing in cost to buy the parts and have a shop rebuild it, I'd be better off just doing this.

http://www.monstertrans.com/store/pr...ssion-2WD.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

I would have thought that friends donor 4R70W would already have Mech Diode___? - If not you may want to shop for newer Case as it would be nice to have at least a 98 Main Valve Body - In a nutshell if you do it yourself it'll cost you about $2K to upgade a 96/97 w/ new TC & new Cooler & various upgrades - About $1K if you buy a good used 99/2000 4R70W & do it yourself.

Lot's of neat parts @ www.Sonnax.Com you can order fm our Vendors.

Here's a good thread on my 96 rebuild, I had never worked on an Automatic either:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51637

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
I would have thought that friends donor 4R70W would already have Mech Diode___? - If not you may want to shop for newer Case as it would be nice to have at least a 98 Main Valve Body - In a nutshell if you do it yourself it'll cost you about $2K to upgade a 96/97 w/ new TC & new Cooler & various upgrades - About $1K if you buy a good used 99/2000 4R70W & do it yourself.

Lot's of neat parts @ www.Sonnax.Com you can order fm our Vendors.

Here's a good thread on my 96 rebuild, I had never worked on an Automatic either:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51637
Are the newer ones a direct swap over or do you have to change a lot of parts? That's what I was trying to steer clear of. And no, the donor is another 97.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Baker View Post
Are the newer ones a direct swap over or do you have to change a lot of parts? That's what I was trying to steer clear of. And no, the donor is another 97.
Relatively minor electrical mods on 99/2000 & a jillion Threads on that - IMO you are buying all new Electrics anyway so no biggy right____? - I can say from my own first hand experience that you'll have $2K in premium Parts & new 11 inch TC & new Cooler & Main VB upgrades (fm Sonnax) & expendables (Fluid, etc...) to make a proper Tranny out of a 96/97 (almost identical years) - & Again that was me doing ALL labor myself - SO>>>> you can make a a darn good case that a 97 or older aint worth Overhauling - DD says about half the 97's survivors he sees have Mech Diode but not the best version - 95 or older defintely not worth overhauling.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Relatively minor electrical mods on 99/2000 & a jillion Threads on that - IMO you are buying all new Electrics anyway so no biggy right____? - I can say from my own first hand experience that you'll have $2K in premium Parts & new 11 inch TC & new Cooler & Main VB upgrades (fm Sonnax) & expendables (Fluid, etc...) to make a proper Tranny out of a 96/97 (almost identical years) - & Again that was me doing ALL labor myself - SO>>>> you can make a a darn good case that a 97 or older aint worth Overhauling - DD says about half the 97's survivors he sees have Mech Diode but not the best version - 95 or older defintely not worth overhauling.
Well I just got through talking to my local tranny shop. (I know the gut, and all the police departments use him) and he said a overhaul with beefier parts and mech diode upgrade would run me $1,500. And it'll take 3 days. It's sounding super appealing because I have my spare engine apart wanting to spend my time on that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Yes that sounds fair & Lord knoiws there's a ton of 4r70w's in Cop Cars... & with a few tweaks you'll be at the $2K.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Yes that sounds fair & Lord knoiws there's a ton of 4r70w's in Cop Cars... & with a few tweaks you'll be at the $2K.
Pretty much what he said. Said I can keep going if I want to spend the money. He basically said just a few more parts and I'd be at the 2 grand mark. But he said a $2,000 trans from him could handle 600 HP and he garuntees his work up to 2 years.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
U could bring it to me

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating's ported manifolds
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
U could bring it to me
RobertP I would love to bring my car to you for all kinds of things. However you're like 5 to 6 hours away. I know I will likely have you do my swap. Also do you still have those limited slip rear ends that will fit our cars? And how much?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Poster

A.Baker I wonder if you got your transmission fix. Let us know the status. I will like to know because I'm planning my self to overhaul my 94.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Don't bother overhauling a 94 pick up a late model transmission and have it changed over. FWIW I am a sonnax dealer, ironically most converter parts come from them.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in